All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
miralax & acacia question
      #143273 - 01/27/05 06:33 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Read Linz's post before that we should take acacia and miralax. My doc told me just take the miralax BUT...this whole week is the first time in 3 months that I have been having attack after attack (taking valium and vicodin). I will take the miralax first thing in the AM with my zelnorm and before breakfast and dinner I will start back with my acacia. I am starting back with 2 tsp at each dosing. I was at 1 Tablespoon twice daily but then I dropped back to 1 3/4 t twice daily. Do I need to start at the VERY beginning - 1/4 teaspoon? and move up from there? Any thoughts - suggestions?

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: miralax & acacia new
      #143274 - 01/27/05 06:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Acacia, yes (or another SFS). I think I was just making the point that miralax is a medication and different to a SFS.

How long ago did you stop the Acacia. I shouldn't think you'd need to start at the very beginning unless you're super-sensitive.

#143285 - 01/27/05 07:12 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I wonder if you're having attacks because you're taking the Miralax AND the Zelnorm. That's alot to put your body through. Everyone's different, but my experience has been that the Miralax can get me kind of spasming so that I have to go quickly to the bathroom (not D, but soft). If I took those both together, I'm afraid I'd have cramp attacks.

I wonder if you could take Miralax in the a.m. and Zelnorm before dinner?

#143288 - 01/27/05 07:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I mix my acacia right in with my miralax every morning!!! What do you mean by "attacks." Are you getting cramps and D, or C?

If its D, than you probably don't need both the Zelnorm and Miralax. I have some Zelnrom on hand but if I take it everyday for more than a couple of weeks, it stops working altogether!! What I do now is take the miralax and acacia every morning before breakfast. If I get a bad attack lasting more than a day or two-bad attack=severe pain, bloating and cramps, than I will add in a zelnorm for a couple of days to see if that will help with the cramps.

Be careful if you are getting C. Both the valium and vicodin can cause more C!! I use Xanax (similair to valium) and vicodin also. If I take them for more than a day or two in a row, I have to add in a second dose of miralax at night in order to combat the C caused by them!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#143359 - 01/27/05 10:30 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Thanx for the quick responses - I really appreciate that! My "attacks" are the pain predominant ones - agony under the ribs going right through to the back. Puts me directly in bed, with the moist heating pad, drinking at least three cups of strong peppermint tea. I have not been taking the acacia for a week or two..so, that isn't so long..so I will start again at 2 teaspoons 2x daily. (besides the miralax). Also, she put me on bentyl 2x daily along with the zelnorm and hyoscamine 3x's daily. I had to take an extra dose last night of the generic miralax as the narcotics starts to slow things down...for me the IBS-C doesn't bother me as the pain just about does me in. I guess I should update on my accupuncture and hypnosis...

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Note on C and pain... new
      #143377 - 01/27/05 11:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...if you help relieve the C, that should help the pain! So don't stop taking stuff that might help the C just because you think the pain's more of a problem.

Btw, you ARE on a lot of meds, aren't you?

#143395 - 01/27/05 11:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The pain cycle can be very difficult to break. I get in those cycles a few times a year and know how terrible it can be. For me, the pain can be very, very severe, even when I'm not C. I've asked my dr's before what causes this and they really don't have a good answer for me. If you have been taking the vicodins for a while, you may need to ask your dr to switch you to something else for a bit because I know I build up a tolerance to them pretty quickly. I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review