All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: INITIAL CAUSE OF IBS new
      #143533 - 01/27/05 06:49 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

There seems to be many and varied ways it starts. Some resarch suggests an event that was basically a huge trauma and insult to the digestive system from which it never really recovers. That certainly was the case with me. I had a case of Ciguatera poisoning when a child, which left me with the legacy. Ciguatera is a toxin that builds up in the food chain in mainly reef fish. It is produced by dinoflagellates living on corals that are eaten by small fish which are then eaten etc etc, until you get a large fish with a build up of toxins. Spanish mackerel was the offender in this case.

Ralph

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#143555 - 01/27/05 08:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Mine was caused by my eating disorder. I was fine up until the day I decided to recover and eat normal...OUCH!

--------------------
IBS-C

#143558 - 01/27/05 09:21 PM
manofmayo

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Everett, WA USA

I first noticed it about the time I was diagnosed w/ diabetes.....it first started as C then turned to D.

#143562 - 01/27/05 09:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Mine first started during a period during which:
a) I started the birth control pill
b) I moved to a new city, moved in with my boyfriend and started college (not that this was particulary anxiety-ridden, but still lots of changes!)
c) just after having gone through a very short round of antibiotics for strep throat - keeping in mind that I have *never, ever* been on antibiotics before

Can't say that any of this really *caused* my IBS, especially since I've had digestive troubles for as long as I can remember, since I was a little kid. Still, this is when it started to get really bad.

More Research Is Needed new
      #143682 - 01/28/05 07:32 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Karen

The precise cause of IBS is unknown, but it's thought to be triggered by some sort of gut trauma such as a bad stomach flu or food poisoning.

However, it seems IBS may run in some families so sometimes I wonder if it's a bit like schizophrenia in that there may sometimes be a hereditary tendency which may be triggered into IBS by certain environmental events.

Unfortunately, research into IBS is only in its infancy stage at the moment because, I think, for many years it was overlooked and people with IBS weren't taken seriously. I suspect it was often thought they had a mental problem rather than a physical one since there was no obvious physical evidence of it (other than the symptoms) and it could only be diagnosed through a process of eliminating all other possible diseases/conditions.

I, personally, have had IBS for as long as I can remember and my mom says I had symptoms as a baby so I think I was probably born with it.

Belinda

Re: More Research Is Needed new
      #143738 - 01/28/05 09:09 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

My IBS started this summer after being on antiboitics and steriods for three months straight. My stomach hasn't been the same since.

Re: More Research Is Needed new
      #144078 - 01/29/05 10:30 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

belinda ibs doesnt run in my familly yet. im the only person who has it. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5728 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review