All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Not about food..... about dating.... HOW DO YOU DO IT?
      #143052 - 01/26/05 02:05 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Am I the only person on this board who is single? How have the rest of you been able to date normally. I can barely get out of the house to get a date, and when I do, it's almost too painful emotionally to try to explain to a stranger how your daily life is a roller coaster. I can't make dates most of the time because I have no idea how i'm going to feel when Friday night rolls around. And it is soo exhausting making it through a work week that all I want to do is collapse and relax once free time is around. (either that or find a new recipe...... plan a new attack...... go to the grocery store). Is anyone else in this boat. This has consumed my twenties.... and now i'm 32 and still single. People look at me like I am crazy b/c I am a very attractive and intelligent girl. I get a lot of "what's wrong with you... how can you still be single". Because my ass runs my life!!! LOL

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not about food..... about dating.... HOW DO YOU DO IT? new
      #143105 - 01/26/05 03:14 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am 24 and feel the same way as you do - I have so much gas and I need to expel it - WOW - not a good impression when you are trying to date someone - also everytime I eat I feel sick - DATING?????

#143146 - 01/26/05 05:30 PM
manofmayo

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Everett, WA USA

I've actually been wondering that too....how to date without telling them too much...its so frustrating

#143180 - 01/26/05 06:37 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

my problem most of the time is to even be physically comfortable enough to go out and be relaxed in social situations

hahahha new
      #143194 - 01/26/05 07:37 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hahaha because my ass runs my life.. so classic!

I know it sucks and its hard.. I'm slightly single (in the process of the beginnings of a potential relationship).. I just pop alot of immodium and gasx and pray that i'm safe.. it definitly suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks though.

--------------------

I wonder the same thing new
      #143198 - 01/26/05 07:49 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How do you explain cramps, gas, pain, food intolerances, etc to a person you are interested in? Nice first impression, right?!

And since most dates involve restaurants, that's a double whammy.

I think I'm just gonna be single for a long long time.

It amazes me how many people on this board are currently dating. Maybe the IBS came after they met and fell in love already?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#143199 - 01/26/05 07:49 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I thought I was the only single person on the boards. Its an interesting question to ask. Thankfully for the most part I have been stable for about a year with a few exceptions here or there. What I try and do is make dates that don't involve eatin at least in the beginning. I also try and make the dates after work so usually my stomach is ok. Eventually if I meet up a couple of times and gain a comfort/trust level I can tell the girl about my IBS. I have never encountered anyone having a problem with my IBS. Maybe I have been lucky but all women I have dated were understanding. As for men, I can't speak for us but I wouldn't have a problem with a gal telling me she has IBS, but then again, I have IBS!

--------------------

Nope! new
      #143201 - 01/26/05 08:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Since I started having IBS symptoms when I was 12... well, I would have had to start REALLY young! Heh. But seriously, that does mean that I've had IBS my entire dating life, so....

I think people in general are a lot more understanding than you'd think they'd be - especially when it's someone who's interested in you. I've dated/married/divorced/whatever quite a few men, and I refuse to believe I've just been lucky that many times.

First date, I always took preventative imodium and carried more with me, and made sure to eat light and safe. Or suggest something that didn't involve much in the way of food - a movie and maybe a diner for coffee afterwards, or some hiking on the weekend, or something.

If things seemed to be going well, I laid on the IBS news right on the first date - but never later than the second date. What's the point of pretending it's a non-issue, or essentially lying by covering it up? If it ends up being a serious relationship, they're going to know anyway. Besides which, I always called it my "built-in @sshole filter" - if someone's going to be a jerk about my health problems, I want to know RIGHT AWAY, before I invest any time and emotional energy in a twerp like that.

Don't lose hope... there IS life (and dating!) after IBS. Honest.

Casey new
      #143207 - 01/26/05 08:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I miss you!! I feel like I haven't talked to you in a while. Gotta send you an email, my friend!

BTW, you always seem to put a positive outlook on most things. How do you do that? But I honestly cannot see how dating and IBS can go together. Maybe if I was stable, but not now when I need a heating pack on my tummy all the time.

I hope you are well and not freezing your booty off!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#143210 - 01/26/05 08:13 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I am 26 and have not really dated since IBS. I have many people tell me "you're so beautiful, you have a good job, your intelligent, strong, smart, blah, blah, blah, why don't you have a boyfriend"......I don't tell them why, i just say I have not found anyone who meets my requirements. But truly I am scared. The few dates I have been on, I had to Immodium my self so up, that then I was C for like 2 days, and I am usually D. And although my IBS is very stable, the stress of a date, always causes problems.

I tried dating. I tried explaining I have food allergies and intolerances and try to pick dates that don't involve food. But nevertheless it always leads to eating in some social situation and when i don't eat, people think I am weird or anorexic. One guy was really annoying and was like "well, what can you eat..what can you drink....what can you do", he had a bad attitude, i kicked him to the curb quick.

Anyway, you are not alone. I keep telling myself to give other guys a chance, but I am just happy right now not having to deal with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5452

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review