All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For C'ers, Much improved but will I ever be able to eat salad again?
      #142897 - 01/26/05 09:25 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I am finally at my 3-month milestone, and have undergone much improvement. I was in so much pain (colon), discomfort and constipation, and at my wit's end with doctors' useless opinions when I found Heather's site. I can't thank Heather enough, as she has given me HOPE!

Anyway, I find that I can tolerate cooked veggies quite well as per the diet recommendations, but whenever I try to gradually reintroduce a little lettuce or tomato (chopped), I seem to have problems within 2 days.

Prior to my IBS problems, (over 4 years ago), I was a health nut.....eating loads of fruit and salad which I enjoy. Obviously, eliminating much of this, and eating fruit only within guidelines, has taken care of my colon spasms/pain. The SFS is helping with my constipation....even though I still feel that I am not having a complete BM.

Finally my question...... do you think I will ever be able to return to eating raw veggies?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Maybe... new
      #143056 - 01/26/05 02:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not a C'er, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Last week, I was finally able to eat a small salad again. I was pretty excited about that. I ate a lot of bread first, let me tell you. That was also my first salad in about a year.

You might be able to eat salad again, but you have to give your body time to heal. It might take a lot longer than a few months. I can't guarantee anything, of course, I'm just saying don't give up yet. At the 3-month mark, I could still barely eat cooked carrots (which are soluble), much less any insolubles, so you're already ahead of where I was!

Random trivia: Did you know that carrots are better for you if they're cooked? There's apparently some nutrients that the body can't get to when they're raw. So... cooked vegetables aren't *always* a bad thing. What I've been doing a lot lately is cooking vegetables crisp-tender and then eating them cold with safe salad dressing. Tasty!

Re: For C'ers, Much improved but will I ever be able to eat salad again? new
      #143097 - 01/26/05 02:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with casey. Maybe. It takes a lot of time to get stable and get a feel for what you can and can't tolerate. A few years ago I couldn't tolerate a scrap of lettuce and now I can eat a whole salad (at the end of the meal) no problem at all. Same goes with fruit salad. I love it too. IF you keep the banana content high, and keep your portion small, you should be able to tolerate some after a safe meal. Try it and see.
Be careful with tomatoes. They're highly acidic - especially raw. That means they can be a major trigger. I would suggest getting your tomatoes through pasta sauces (add a bit of sugar to reduce the acidity).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Carrots- ooo Casey new
      #143130 - 01/26/05 03:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I guess I didn't know that about carrots. I am growing them again this year after several years of not (not since I had a rabbit). I am growing purple and yellow ones. They say these are higher in beta carotene. If anyone sees them at a farmer's market they are supposed to be healthiest (yet I guess cooked. Too bad DH won't eat cooked carrots.) Oh and BTW they retain the purple color when cooked.
multi colored carrots

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: For C'ers, Much improved but will I ever be able to eat salad again? new
      #143131 - 01/26/05 04:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes! think positively. I tend to think Ders have more trouble with raw veggies and insolubles in general. I eat salads from time to time and at my best which was this summer, I ate raw carrots all the time without knowing they were a touchy food!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Purple carrots! new
      #143135 - 01/26/05 04:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

How freaking cool! I might have to try some of those. I'm very excited - this is the first year in a very long time that I'll be able to plant a vegetable garden.

And carrots are still good for you raw, of course... just a *little* better cooked.

Re: Maybe... new
      #143333 - 01/27/05 09:55 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Thanks for everyone's input.

As to cooked carrots, they are one of the foods that are supposed to be constipating....might be great for IBS-D ers, but so far I have stayed away from these as I tend to be very constipated.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4027 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review