All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bactrim... any suggestions... its official...
      #142388 - 01/25/05 09:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am having a full scale attack... I no longer have this under control. I have had 7 days of C interspersed with 2 huge bouts of D and a lot of cramping and gas no matter what I eat since I went on this med. I was told by the doctor that I have to keep this up for 7 more days... HELP... I am doing everything I always do to control the gas, etc, and added more insolubles because of the C, but it still isn't helping... I don't know if I can go another week like this- the discomfort is keeping me from sleeping well, and I am trying to recover from a nasty sinus infection that was in my ears too... I need the rest.. I'm actually sleeping less and worse now that the sinus' are mostly clear then I was when they were at their worst!

Any other suggestions? the doc said more fresh fruits and veggies and to get a stool softener.. but I think that will just cause a ton of D..
Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bactrim... any suggestions... its official... new
      #142397 - 01/25/05 09:42 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Probiotics? That is an old suggestion, but always mentioned here where antibiotics are concerned. I just had a major attack brought on by Flagyl. Two weeks later, and I'm just now stabilizing. Sorry.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: bactrim... any suggestions... its official... new
      #142405 - 01/25/05 09:54 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Actually, stool softners should not cause D. They are not a laxative at all. If you need some immediate C relief, I would suggest glycerin suppositories. They won't cause the D and cramping like regular otc laxatives do. Try putting your heating pad in a pillow case and leaving it on low all night on your tummy. Thats what I do most nights, it really helps my tummy calm down. I hope you feel better soon!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Antibiotic Advice new
      #142417 - 01/25/05 10:11 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amie:

I am not clear on exactly what advice you are seeking. You say the doctor says you have to keep it up for another seven days, but you don't say exactly what it is you have to keep up. Can it be assumed you are talking about taking bactrim, which, according to a google search, appears to be an antibiotic for an infection?

If so, according to the Internet information, it appears Bactrim may be a sulfer-based drug, which is one of the worst things for IBS people.

If you are taking Bactrim, my recommendations are as follows:

1. Ask your doctor if Bactrim is a sulfer drug. If it is, ask him/her if you could switch Bactrim to a non-sulfer drug that would be easier on your gut. Tell your doctor sulfer is the worst thing for IBS people.

2. Whether or not you continue to take Bactrim, or another antibiotic, I suggest you take each dose with a glass or two of water (assuming the medication allows this) to wash it through your gut as quickly as possible. This will help reduce the IBS misery for you.

3. Also, if the medication allows, consume some soluble fibre (white French bread, white rice or plain mashed potatoes) before and/or after taking the antibiotic.

I haven't had to take an antibiotic for an infection in quite a few years now. When I do, I have to book off work for the entire course of the antibiotic because of problems with D. The only exception is the medication I take for urinary tract infections (Noroxin). For some reason I have no problem with Noroxin whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Belinda

Re: Antibiotic Advice new
      #142483 - 01/25/05 11:38 AM
khyricat

its a sulfer drug, and I hate them, but she wants me on it and not something else- I argued with her over it when she perscribed it... I just want it to end... I can't afford to take off work, so in a way C instead of D is good since I can be at work with C even if I feel crappy....

I guess I'm off to find probiotics.

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

OMG I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hate antibiotics! new
      #142489 - 01/25/05 11:45 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

They always make me feel gross no matter how mild. I wish I could give you some advice but it sounds like you're stuck. All I can offer is sympathy. I hope the sevendays pass quickly and that your sinus infection goes away. (Does your Dr. know all about IBS and is she understanding about it?)
Chany

Re: OMG I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hate antibiotics! new
      #142538 - 01/25/05 12:52 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hate having to go to work when tummy is hurting. If your tummy is painful, get some of those thermacare heat pads for menstrual cramps, can get them at most drug stores but cheaper at Walmart type places. They are a life saver for me!! Hugs and feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

sulfur....sulpha? new
      #142628 - 01/25/05 02:52 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I am highly allergic to sulpha drugs...I will break out in these strange hives and they itch like crazy. I won't take them no matter what the docs say.

Anytime I am on an antibiotic, I make sure and take accidophillus which is good for intestinal flora anyway and will help prevent a yeast infection.

If I remember correctly you are smack in the middle of a bad attack, the last thing you need is a yeast infection!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Re: sulfur....sulpha? new
      #142646 - 01/25/05 03:43 PM
khyricat

Been taking acidopholis... but trying to figure out how to stop the dang attack! and yes meant sulpha drugs... a friend learned she was allergic after turning into a red itchy blob with a high fever.. I had to run her to the ER.. they thought she had scarlet fever and rushed her into a isolation room and me with her since I had driven her in until they proved otherwise.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: OMG I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hate antibiotics! new
      #142647 - 01/25/05 03:44 PM
khyricat

she knows some and is following my care with interest from the FI to learn more.. but also won't be my doc anymore next week- moving to CA.. I see her Thurs with DH for the last time... we both have appt's because we're not looking forward to having to switch to a new doc, even in a familiar practice.. at least I like her partner but I know nothing of the doc replacing her.. and her partner is male- why I saw her instead at the beginning...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I know the feeling! I am glad you're taking the accidophilus. ~nt~ new
      #142775 - 01/26/05 04:48 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1967

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review