All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
hi, I'm new
      #14145 - 07/15/03 09:11 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

Hi, I'm new to the board and am hoping to find help. My story goes like this: I got very sick last summer with food poisoning, when they scoped me my biopsies came back abnormal for lymphocytes and it was thought I had celiac. I didn't. I kept losing tons of weight and couldn't eat and went to doctor after doctor. The doc at Johns Hopkins finally found that the food poisoning caused a temporarty inflammation in my bowel and put me on steroids. The pain went away but now I am left with major IBS from the trauma. I can tell that the food I eat is definately directly related to my pain and gassiness etc. I feel like I will never feel well again, I almost always have a stomach ache and nausea. I thought IBS caused cramping but not a constant ache. I also never knew you could be nauseous all the time like this. I'm hoping to get help here by eating better. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and if anyone has any welcoming comments, Ilook forward to hearing from you. I am especially interested in if others have the constant stomach ache and nausea? Thanks so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hi, I'm new new
      #14148 - 07/15/03 09:38 PM
roseann

Hi New. Well it seems you are not alone in your plight. I too have a stomach ache every single day of my life and nausea comes along with it. I have had this for years and have no real answers, unfortunately.

#14149 - 07/15/03 10:37 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi and welcome! Have you bought Heather's books yet? They are great because it is not some "expert doctor" who has no idea what the "IBS life" is like, but she someone who has suffered as we have. She is great in responding to your questions here and so knowledgable. In her books, she talks about starting for three days eating plain oatmeal, rice, bread (white) to get your GI track back in order (don't forget lots of water and a fiber supplement!) and then gives many suggestions and ideas of recipes and guidelines to follow.(Yoga and hypnotherapy are great ideas...check out those boards!)

You can do searches on the board to see if some of your questions have already come up and maybe been answered. I personaly am IBD-D and have many of the other symptoms that go along with it. This includes fatigue, headaches, heart palps, anxiety, sleep difficulties, weight loss and gain...(there is a lengthy list of the other symptoms of IBS that I had no idea about, I just thought I was unfortunate to have all these different things going on!). Although it is hard at times, this is a great place to talk to people and find you are not alone.

Answering the nausea question...I do go through periods of nausea, but it is not constant for me.

You are lucky to have found this board because of all the supportive people. I think at one point or another we have all felt like you do, alone and desperate to feel well. There are highs and lows with this, and just have faith that you will start to feel better with time.

Good luck and welcome!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#14158 - 07/16/03 05:09 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Hi Marla,

Welcome to the boards. I have only been on here for a short time myself. I have had IBS-C since around January this year and had some level of stomach ache and mild nausea almost all that time. It tends to range back and forth on a 1-10 scale between 1 or 2 up to about 6 or 7 but never much worse. The last three weeks the pain has been almost all on the left side below the ribs and has extended into my lower and middle back for most of that time which has prompted me to make an appointment to see the Gastro doc. It doesn't seem to stop me doing a lot of things but does tend to make me a little grumpy!! I've had all the tests but it doesn't hurt to recheck things!

Hope things improve for you.

Adrian

#14162 - 07/16/03 05:37 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Welcome Marla,
You have certainly come to the right place! I am sorry you are having a hard time. You will find a huge amount of information and support here. My guess is, in no time, YOU will be welcoming new members! That seems to be the way things progress around here. We start to feel better as a result of fantastic advice and want to share that with someone new. We feel your pain because we have all been there! Even on bad days, yes they do still happen, it is tolerable because I know I am not alone. I suggest if you have not read Heather's book, run, don't walk to the store. It has become my IBS bible. Her book and this site have changed the course of my health.
One tip I have for nausea and pain is to chew 2 Altoids. I do this in the car when making tea is not convenient. Ginger is good for nausea also. I have had periods of pain when I have a constant burning ache(not really cramping). I have not experienced this however since I gave up dairy. Well, best of luck getting started. This site has a wealth of information so start searching and welcome! artist

#14168 - 07/16/03 06:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Marla! Welcome!

You poor thing! *hugs* I hope you feel better very soon!

Are you C (constipated) or D (diarhhea) or B (both)?

What kind of pain do you have? Dull or sharp? Have you had a colonoscopy (you might have answered that already...sorry if you did!)

I don't share in your symptoms. I am IBS C and my pain comes and goes. (My bloating is forever with me!) It's no fun having IBS...no matter what your symptoms are! But at least we're all in this together (I lived with this alone from the time I was 5 until several months ago when I found this post...I'm in my 20's!)

Hopefully we'll be able to help you here! If there's anything you need, just POST!

Welcome again!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14173 - 07/16/03 07:10 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Are you IBS C or D? I have had IBS C for about 17 years. My tummy hurts at least 80% of the time to varying degrees. I am nauseas about 50% of the time also to varying dregrees. The best answer for me for the pain is heat. The heating pad is my best friend! I often use those therma care portable haeting pads at work a lot. They are actually made for menstraul cramps but work pretty good. I still haven't found much to help with the nausea. Most people on the board use different teas to help but I just can't stand the taste of tea no matter how sweet I make it! Take some time to read through the old posts and keep us posted on how you are doing. Glad to have you with us!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#14179 - 07/16/03 08:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board! I hope you start to feel better soon. As others have mentioned, teas can help immensely. Ginger tea is especially good for nausea. Either buy some in the box, or buy fresh ginger (really inexpensive) and cut a piece the size of a quarter. Brew it in boiling hot water. You can even squeeze a dash of lemon juice in if you like, it's a nice blend.
Try putting ginger into your meals. Either powdered ginger or fresh. Ginger is a great ingredient in marinades - see my teriyaki chicken recipe on the recipe board. Also, it is wonderful minced and tossed into stir frys, rice, almost ANYTHING. Try to incorporate as much as you can into your diet.
Also, peppermint tea is my miracle "drug". It helps ease the pain and can really help ease attacks. It soothes the colon and helps keep it relaxed.
Happy tea brewing. Let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#14184 - 07/16/03 08:39 AM
marla

Loc: pa

Thanks so much to everyone who welcomed me, it is nice to find people to talk to about this. I guess I should clear up I am IBS D, and have been cleared of Crohns and Colitis. I'll order Heather's book and read your boards, at least I feel hopeful now. Thanks again.

#14186 - 07/16/03 09:06 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Hi Marla-

Welcome!!! I am IBS-C are you C or D? I hope you are feeling better soon, you must get Heather's book the fiber is so important. I do have a stomach ache most days although I am a little more in control of things, stress still flares me up which is most days since mine is job related stress. However the teas are great and the fiber will help either case. I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review