All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is Rice A Roni ok?
      #141371 - 01/22/05 06:06 PM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

I loove rice and I was just wondering what types are the 'safest'? Oh and is barbeque sauce? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Rice A Roni ok? new
      #141379 - 01/22/05 06:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Read the ingredients. I'm not familiar with Rice a Roni brand specifically, but a lot of the packaged rices have dairy derivatives, butter, or cheese in them, and they would not be safe. But if you can find one that's completely dairy-free, prepare it without the butter/margarine and you should be fine.

Ditto for the barbecue sauce - read the ingredients. If it contains high fructose corn syrup, skip it. Otherwise, give it a try.

#141380 - 01/22/05 06:33 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I don't have any rice a roni on hand, and I couldn't find the ingredients online, so I'm not sure. Would you mind posting them here? The only things I'd really be worried about are milk ingredients or MSG. As for the BBQ sauce, yes, that's generally safe! A lot of them contain high fructose corn syrup, which some people are very sensative to, so read the labels carefully. Personally, I'm okay with HFCS, so I use KC Masterpiece pretty frequently and I'm fine. Enjoy!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Lol... Casey, we were posting almost exactly the same thing at the same time! -nt- new
      #141382 - 01/22/05 06:34 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Great minds think alike! Hehe. -nt- new
      #141398 - 01/22/05 07:56 PM
atomic rose

#141531 - 01/23/05 11:58 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I love Rice A Roni too, but I'm sure it has MSG or the equivalent in it. Not all of us have a problem with MSG or not in small quantities, so give it a try. If it doesn't settle well, you can save it for later when you're more stable. Same with BBQ sauce, just like Kree and Casey said!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#141547 - 01/23/05 02:23 PM
LupineGray

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: California

I happen to have a box of Rice-a-roni Chicken and Broccoli. Here's the ingredients:

Rice, wheat flour, broccoli with sodium sulfite and sodium bisulfite for color retention, salt, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, calcium carbonate, hydrolyzed corn gluten, natural flavors, onions, carrots, monosodium glutamate (MSG), torula yeast, soy flour, chicken broth, garlic, chicken fat, parsley, turmeric, niacin, disodium inosinate, ferric orthophosphate, ferrous sulfate, turmeric extract, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, riboflavin.

Gotta go throw this box of rice away now! Yikes!

Hope that helps,
Kat

#141549 - 01/23/05 02:38 PM
atomic rose

Now, see, for me, that would be perfectly safe. I don't have a problem with MSG, and I don't see any dairy ingredients in there anywhere. Granted, it's not as healthy as making your own risotto with homemade chicken stock and sauteed vegetables, but every now and then, I'd still eat it.

I eat the Goya rices, though, personally. I don't remember if those have MSG as well or not.

Anyway, like LauraSue said, some people have MSG sensitivity, some don't, and you really won't know unless you try it. (Unless, of course, you already know you're allergic!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review