All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does this EVER go away?
      #141368 - 01/22/05 05:56 PM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

I've been suffering with ibs -c now for over a year and had to ask this question.(will this ibs ever go away). I do feel that I am able to control the pain and constipation side of things but the daily gas and bloating are so uncomfortable and really get me down. Is there any hope that one day I will be able to drink milk and eat cheese. Or even more amazing not even think about my stomach/intestine/bowels (I feel like I am obsessed). Am I going to have this problem till I am old and grey?

As an aside, my sister-in-law told me that a couple of years ago she was diagnosed with ibs-d and suffered for a year but then it went away!!!

Does any body else know anyone with these stories of hope?....

Valentine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does this EVER go away? new
      #141370 - 01/22/05 06:05 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi Valentine! I'm afraid to report that I had mine for 16 years. Now, I'm not a severe case but yes, it is a part of my life. I've managed it with eating correctly but it shall I say doesn't rule my life but is a part of my life. You kinda learn to live with it.

I don't think I've ever heard or read anyone else having IBS temporarily. They usually diagnosis you with IBS when they've ruled everything else out.

Try not to get down about it. You too can manage it like we all have. Some days are good and some are bad

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#141372 - 01/22/05 06:18 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So tell me how you control the constipation and pain. I'd love to hear your treatment.

I have a pretty severe case of IBS so I don't think it's going anywhere, but will be with me until I'm old and grey.

I think the norm is for the IBS to stay with you and to be managed not cured. Sorry, I wish it wasn't the case for me. I wish mine would just go away for a little break, just like it did for these other people.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I second that! new
      #141378 - 01/22/05 06:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had IBS for at least 17 years... but don't let that get you down. I've had periods of several years at a time go by where I'm completely symptom-free. You learn to manage it with diet and stress management techniques, maybe a medication or two. You learn to accept that there are things you can't eat, and you also learn to really enjoy the things you CAN. It's always part of your life, but it doesn't have to run your life. Stick with the diet. You'll see. Hang in there!

And I third it- new
      #141399 - 01/22/05 08:03 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Like Casey said, I've had periods of time where everything was fine, but for the most part I've had IBS as long as I can remember (I was at the pediatrician for digestion problems starting when I was six, and I've been on various medications ever since, starting with mineral oil. Hardcore yuck). So that means I've had my IBS for at least 20 years. But I still live a happy life and I'm just used to it. My husband has severe allergies and always will, and I figure my IBS is the same way!

#141466 - 01/23/05 08:17 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I've had it for 15 years, and it is the most managable since going on Heather's diet. Knowing what to eat is key for me. We all have good and bad days. I can still eat dark chocolate, so that makes me happy. Also, hynotherapy helped alot. I don't plan on ever having it go away, unfortunately.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Re: I second that! new
      #141468 - 01/23/05 08:26 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I have read several of your posts, and recognize many of my own struggles. The main one is the weight. I am holding between 80-85, you said you feel good at that weight. I do too, but my drs. are insisting that I don't have a reserve for any critical illness or surgery. How are you maintaining the extra weight and is there any other ideas for weight gain you might share. Thanks!

Re: Hey, Marjo where is Angola, Ind? new
      #141469 - 01/23/05 08:26 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

I live in Carmel, Ind. I'm not from Indiana, I'm a transplant, so I'm not really sure of anything outside the Indy area. Just wondered where you are located. There is never anybody from Indiana on here!

Laura

Harmony, concerned ... new
      #141706 - 01/23/05 08:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

about your weight. 80 to 85 pounds is very malnourished unless you are like 4 1/2 feet tall. Really, Harmony, I don't want to offend you, but that is an extremely low and unhealthy weight. And when you say you are comfortable with this weight it concerns me.

I really don't know how tall you are but 80 pounds is not healthy. I know that Casey is closer to 115 or even more and is quite happy with that weight as she is at a healthy weight.

I am glad to hear that you are trying to gain weight. Your doctors are right. Please listen and trust them.

I am speaking from personal experience.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I second that! new
      #141713 - 01/23/05 08:30 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just wanted to let you know that I posted a reply to you in LauraSue's "Cheating?" thread - I saw this post, but I wasn't sure you were talking to me!

Re: Harmony, concerned ... new
      #141783 - 01/24/05 06:51 AM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Thanks Augie, it's a real battle for me to gain weigh right now. I agree that I am not healthy, and fighting to keep the weigh on is a everyday battle. I have a very slow surgeon that has done tests to watch the gallbladder. And it's got two growths that I believe continue to force me away from foods that I once thought were my only weigh choices. I am learning here about other alternatives and have been adding them in. I had big time fear phobias!!! of foods! All associated with the pain of going from constipation to the big D. I began to suspect that it was emotional and went to therapy for the diagnosis and got on the xanax, and remeron, coming off the remeron, and waiting to go to the lexapro. That has not changed the reactions I get from certain foods. The Dietician say's she is now convinced the gallbladder is the boogie man here, and that I have developed Ibs as a result of weigh gain and loss and eating changes. Will see the surgeon Friday and carefully explain to him again. That two polyps now are reducing more foods to maintain healthy weigh. You are right. I am just praying I don't go any lower. I am eating all day long. Thanks for your concern....I am too...:(

#142028 - 01/24/05 02:05 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Not to sound depressing......... but I've been suffering badly for about 10 years now...... before that I was only mildly suffering. But with a lot of the advice on this website things have eased up a little bit. It does seem as though there is no end in sight, but it helps to know you aren't alone. Hopefully if enough of us can stress to the medical community the horror of living this way, some changes will be made. Hang in there!

Re: Hey, Marjo where is Angola, Ind? new
      #143986 - 01/29/05 06:06 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

It is a 45 minute drive on 69, north of Fort Wayne. I work in Ft. Wayne, and drive it everyday......There are lots of lakes here, and Pokagon State Park.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Valentine! Stories of hope... new
      #144066 - 01/29/05 09:37 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

Since being diagnosed with this evil IBS, I'm C btw, I have talked to so many people who have had this funtional disease for months or years and then went into complete remission. My mother is one of them. She had IBS for almost 5 years and then one day it went away as quickly as it came on. The only thing she can figure out is that she changed jobs and the stress in her life practically diminished. I think it's possible, no PROBABLE, that many of us will have IBS for some time only to finally heal for GOOD! I live with that hope everyday now! I can't see living this way forever, nope, no way!

--------------------

Jujubeeof2 - thank you new
      #144829 - 01/31/05 09:29 AM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

Thanks for your message. I want to believe that this is maybe just temporary. It was for my sister-in-law ......

I am grateful for your words of encouragement

Valentine

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review