All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
weird attack question
      #14024 - 07/14/03 10:00 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

first, sorry if this grosses anyone out..but then again people with ibs aren't usually offended by gi questions easily

i'm currently on lotronex and follow the ibs diet a little more loosely than i should (eliminating dairy is still killing me, but i'm working on cheese subs still). usually my gi system is ok, however i've been having a few attacks that are really bothersome. i start off getting the cramps as usual, then the stabbing pain but i have to go to the bathroom a few times to get out all the "normal" stool then i finally get to the "d" part. i'm not constipated in the least, it just takes a while to empty all the good stuff to get to the actual attack. by the time i get to that part i am fatigued, my rump is sore from going to the rr numerous times, and want to shoot myself from the pain that lasts so long. when i had attacks before the lotronex and ibs diet i would have them and they would be over with a lot sooner with less pain.

so can anyone please give me some insight as to why this is happening, things i can do to avoid these attacks, or some words of wisdom. i'm glad my ibs is getting better, but still trying to adjust to the new attacks. they also come frequently in the late evening/early morning so i'm up literally all night long being a zombie. i think this might have something to do with the fact that i sleep and eat late. so is there a good time which we should eat after to prevent evening attacks?

sorry for the long post....

thanks
amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weird attack question new
      #14032 - 07/14/03 11:05 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Amy,
Don't worry that doesn't sound weird at all to me!
When I get an attack I find the same, I end up going several times first fairly normally and it gradually gets looser. In my case I feel it's that so much has built up that the food I've just eaten that has upset me, is trying to be rejected by my body as quickly as possible, so it sends the urge down to get everything else out of the way first. I guess there is a limit to how much can come out at once lol!
I also find night attacks the worst, I haven't had one for a while but I've ending up dealing with them by taking my pillow into the bathroom, so in between bowel movements I lie on the floor covered by a towel and try to rest/sleep. It sounds stupid but there's no point trying to get back to bed until it's all done. I also open the window wide, as I find cool air calms me down.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#14046 - 07/15/03 06:04 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A few thoughts. Peppermint tea can actually lessen some of my attacks. As soon as you feel an attack coming on, brew a strong cup and start sipping. It can actually help ease the pain and soothe the colon.
Second, I get attacks at night, too. EAt supper early. The earlier the better. Don't overeat. If you get hungry at bedtime, have a small stable snack - ie. crackers, slice of white bread, etc.
Third, I hear you with the cheese thing. Try giving it up and see if there's an improvement. My guess is there will be a noticeable decrease in the attacks and their severity. It's that way with me, anyway. Dairy is my love and nemesis. Sigh.
Finally, see if there's anything else in your diet that is a hidden trigger. Anything with additives, etc. or a fruit or veggie that is causing the problem.
Let us know how you're doing. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#14050 - 07/15/03 06:48 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

I get most of my attacks in the morning... drives me crazy because it makes me late for work too often... do you know if what you eat can affect you the next day? someone told me it takes what you eat at least 2-3 days to go through your system?? so, what you eat on monday shouldn't bother you till wednesday or thursday?? doesn't sound right to me..

--------------------
Thank You

#14057 - 07/15/03 08:09 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

i tend to think that with ibs people what you eat can effect you IMMEDIATELY!! maybe it's that long for normal people and even at that it depends on if they eat a lot of meat or a high vegetable fiber meal.

i wish my stomach was calm enough for food to bother me 2-3 days later. all i know is after an attack i'm clean as a whistle

amy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review