All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Juice it
      #139698 - 01/18/05 01:55 PM
angelwhispers

Reged: 12/12/03

This is a total moron question but I just have to ask anyway. I've been on the diet for way over a year and thank God for Heather every day. Before going on this diet I juiced once a day or more. Using a juice machine and drinking it fresh each day. I really miss this the most. I understand the fiber thing but when juicing you arn't getting that fiber. I don't use citrus juice. I use veggies and a little apple or pineapple. I need it. I want it. BUT I DO NOT want to be sick again so this is the moron question on the board. Can I still juice my veggies and fruits? There I asked it

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Juice it new
      #139700 - 01/18/05 02:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think you can, but as with everything, it's very individual - some people can do juices, some can't. I know there's a few people on here who drink V8 with no problems, and that really wouldn't be *too* different... so give it a try. Just have some soluble fiber first, just to be on the safe side, especially when you're just starting out with it again. Good luck!

#139709 - 01/18/05 02:36 PM
angelwhispers

Thank you. Yes I've thought many times I would try but havn't had the guts since I feel so much better and don't experiment much. However I can't eat salad and I miss that the most out of all of the things I can't have. I look at red meat as poison and I was a BIG red meat eater. Guess I've brain washed myself pretty good ha? I don't feel I'm getting enough vitamins. I can not take vitamins because B12 kills my stomach and I can't afford to take them seperately. Lettuce is totally intolerable to me. That is unless anyone knows of a type of Lettuce that they can eat. So I've been thinking alot about juicing. Maybe I'll try it and pray

#139739 - 01/18/05 03:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Dear Angelwhispers,

I like your screen name. Welcome to the IBS board, the greatest place on the internet!!

I agree with Casey. I'm one of the people who can drink V8 as long as I have some soluble fiber with it. I also drink pineapple juice every day with breakfast. Citrus aggravates my acid reflux so I limit it to once or twice a week and only at lunch (for some reason it settles best then).

So I say, juice away but moderation in all things! Also remember that we DO have to get SOME insoluble fiber for our overall general health. So cooking and eating some of those things you're juicing is also a good idea. Or making them into a smoothie so the insoluble fiber is pureed and easier on the tummy. (This is a paid commercial announcement for my "Pumpkin Pie Smoothie" recipe on the Recipe board -- do a search, it's YUMMY!)

Anyway, glad to have you with us!!

Oh, and PS, bibb lettuce or Boston lettuce would probably be easier on the tummy than iceberg or romaine. A small salad AFTER a meal containing soluble fiber is one of Heather's suggestions!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139749 - 01/18/05 04:03 PM
angelwhispers

Thank you LauraSue. Oh I'm not a newbee. I just get too busy to post. I drink smoothies every day for lunch and I've tried your recipe and it is delicious! However after about a year and a half I've noticed my body is begging for more veggies and fruit as I have Fibromyalga and some other darn things and my energy is dwindling after all this time so I thought since I felt so good juicing I'd ask without experimenting I just hate to experiment and end up in the bathroom all day. I can just feel my body telling me something and I try very hard to listen so I guess the only thing to do is try it and take the chance. UGH! I'll post my results. Thanks for the lettuce idea. I noticed Heather uses butter lettuce in some of her recipes too. I've tried just a tiny salad at the end of a meal and darned if I wasn't in that bathroom all night again. *sigh*

#139752 - 01/18/05 04:09 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I would try but avoid anything with citrus in it. I regularly go to juice bars and have strawberry, mango, banana and blueberry juice. As long as I stay away from dairy and oranges, I'm ok.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 870 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review