All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hair Dye?
      #139577 - 01/18/05 10:34 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

My doctor hasn't given me a final, official IBS diagnosis yet, but we've narrowed it down to this and a few other possibilities.

But my mother pointed something out to me the other day. My stomach problems started in late, august, early september, exactly at the same time that I had a very serious allergic reaction to a new brand of hair dye. I have a white metal allergy, and the dye in question contained aluminum.

So, is it possible that my hair dye is causing my stomach troubles?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hair Dye? new
      #139607 - 01/18/05 11:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hmm, interesting. I've never heard of this but anything is possible! Definetely mention it to your dr!! I do dye my hair, have for MANY years but have never had a reaction or anything to it! Hell, I've been dying it so long, I don't even know what color it is naturally anymore!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#139608 - 01/18/05 11:36 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Who knows, but I dye mine once a month and haven't had any trouble.

Do you dye it black? Black has a lot of bad chemicals in it that other colours don't. I would avoid black if I were you.

#139611 - 01/18/05 11:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Under normal circumstances I would say that it's a long shot - I've dyed my hair for 15 years now, with many different brands, without any changes to my symptoms - *but*, because of that metal allergy, I would say that anything's possible, and if you haven't mentioned it to your doctor yet, you probably should. Allergies can do some crazy things to your body.

#139613 - 01/18/05 11:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

When I was pregnant I was worried that the hair dye might have a bad effect on my baby. My DR and hairdresser said that very little is absorbed through the hair shaft and skull. With that said, if you're allergic, it may be enough absorbed to give you a reaction. You'd think though, that the reaction would ease after a week or so. Who knows? Ask your Doc.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#139750 - 01/18/05 04:05 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Isabel,

The initial IBS attack in someone who is prone to it can be triggered by many things -- a stomach bug, food poisoning, any "insult to the gut" as the doctors put it. When you say you had a very serious allergic reaction, do you mean hives and itching and throat swelling up and eyes watering and all that? Because that's a histamine reaction in the mucous membranes and what lines our gut? You got it, mucous membranes! The good news is, you are more likely to be able to get your system calmed down again. It may take a year or two of very careful IBS-safe eating, but you should be able to get your IBS symptoms under control just like me, as long as you avoid any more of that hair dye!

Good luck, sweetie, and good detective work!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139767 - 01/18/05 04:43 PM
Ravenndark

Hmm, thank you Laura Sue! My reaction was only on my skin, as white metal allergies don't translate to throat swelling or anything, more where the contact is made (I can't wear metal watches, as I'll get a rash).

I'll ask my doctor, when I visit her next. You never know...

#139826 - 01/19/05 05:07 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

Did you use a Henna dye? I'm a hairstylist, and I know that the old Henna dyes have metallic salts in them, but most peroxide dyes don't have any metal in them. I think the newer henna's don't have any metalic salts in them, but if you're getting "organic henna" then it probably does contain it.

If you were using a peroxide color it would more then likely be the amonia or peroxide that you had a reaction to, many people have bad reactions to those.

I have the same metal allergy you do, I can't wear anything but 14 carrot gold or higher, I have no problems with hair color at all, but if I were to put a cheap ring on my fingers it would swell up, or a necklace on I would get a rash on my chest.

Just my 2 cents.
Debra

#139967 - 01/19/05 12:23 PM
Ravenndark

It was a discout brand type of dye, not a henna one. I brought the box to the doctor, and she pointed out the metal that I was allergic to...I can't remember the name of it right now, but it's pretty rare in the form that it was.

Oh bother, I'll have to call and ask her about it.

#140367 - 01/20/05 11:46 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

I would guess that color in Canada may be a bit different then the US, most color lines in the US do not contain metal. Rule of thumb for me though is if it is cheap then it is probably made cheaply too.

If you try to color again try going for a deposit only, semi-permanent line, or temporary color, those most definitely would not have metal in them. Maybe even just do a skin test, put a dot on your arm and cover it with a band aide for 24 hours. If you don't have a reaction to it then you are not allergic to it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3738 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review