All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cooking Acacia
      #139228 - 01/17/05 06:07 AM

Unregistered

I have recently started to put my morning dose of Acacia in with my porridge (whilst cooking). Is this okay or am I making the Acacia less effective?

Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cooking Acacia new
      #139247 - 01/17/05 07:16 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

In a recent newsletter Heather addressed just this question. YES, it is fine to cook with it and in fact it seems to make baked goods more moist and stay fresh longer.

I love being able to measure it into my cream of wheat in the morning and cook it right in. I can't stand having to mix stuff in liquid and drink it so this works out perfectly for me.

Now if I could figure out how to take it so easily later in the day other than w/applesauce......

Cindy

#139272 - 01/17/05 08:16 AM

Unregistered

Cindy
What is cream of wheat? Itsounds lovely. (here in the UK we struggle with quite a lot of differences as to names of food etc.) I had read that we could put the Acacia into baking but I also read on site earlier that if we boil the acacia it changes to a different substance and I am wondering if it makes the Acacia ineffective. I did think of adding it to my porridge when it is cooked but it tends to go a bit lumpy however careful you are so I decided to put it into the pan whilst cooking my porridge (with soya milk and water).
Thanks for your comments
Judith
Covenetry, UK

#139331 - 01/17/05 11:41 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Judith and welcome!

I think it's called farina in the UK but I'm not sure. Speaking of different names, is porridge what we call oatmeal?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I cook with it a lot... new
      #139472 - 01/18/05 03:18 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I bake it into muffins, etc.. so far I'm up to 6 tablespoons per 12 muffin batch can't seem to get past that point without it affecting the muffins.. I've also stired it into my pasta sauce at the table, and other things like that without a second thought... I try as much as I can to add it to my meal.. including into beans, and other things so I don't have to eat sperately to take it.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#139481 - 01/18/05 04:07 AM

Unregistered

Laura
I assume that oatmeal is our porridge! You mix oats, milk and water and cook it in a saucepan on the cooking hob or it can be all put into a bowl and cooked in the microwave (I prefer to make it in the saucepan).
Judith

Re: I cook with it a lot... new
      #139497 - 01/18/05 06:05 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

Wow, 6 Tbl. per 12 muffin recipe!!!! I just use one when I've been baking, but I'm sure going to start increasing it. Thanks.

I stir the acacia into any kind of a sauce we might have with our meals. I've been trying some of the recipes posted here and a lot of times (especially with the crockpot ones) you will have some broth or juices you can thicken with cornstarch and I just slip in some acacia too. No one else in the family knows it and I don't tell them. Figure it's good for them too.

Cindy

#139795 - 01/18/05 07:53 PM
LupineGray

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: California

I use the soy milk to cool down my oatmeal, and since I only use a little milk, I add the acacia to that. It doesn't get lumpy that way.

Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review