All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamins
      #138469 - 01/14/05 11:51 AM
lisadom

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Maryland

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a vitamin that's easy on the digestive system. I've been trying to incorporate vitamin's for years but only to have to stop after 4 days or more. Vitamins cause C, bloating and generally make me feel gross. Dr said take a one a day but that even causes problems. Any suggestions? Maybe a good natural easy to digest vitamin.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamins new
      #138564 - 01/14/05 03:33 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Lisa,

Welcome to our wonderful world! Glad you found us, sorry you had to!

Do you take them with meals? I'm fine with a one a day plus iron, but I make sure I take it with my breakfast. I also take extra Vitamin C, B-6 and D and have never noticed any problems.

Are you taking enough SFS? You also need that to cushion the tummy.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138877 - 01/15/05 02:59 PM
lisadom

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Maryland

I'm not sure what you mean by SFS. I'm assuming you mean stool softeners. If so, then yes, I'm on miralax (not sure if I've spelled that right) and I usually take them after dinner time. I've tried taking the individual instead of a multi vitamin in order to the ones that may be causing me problems. I want to say it might be the binders in the medicine that are causing me trouble. So I thought something more in the line of a natural vitamin. Something has got to work. Thanks for the suggestion.

#138892 - 01/15/05 04:12 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

SFS is soluble fibre supplement... if you have a decent amount of fibre with your vitamins and drink heaps of water, they might not back you up so much.

I take iron pills that contain B and C vitamins, and as long as my meal has plenty of soluble fibre (SF), I'm basically okay. Multivitamins seem to upset my tummy a bit though, so I only take the iron as I'm vegetarian. Also I'm an A, and multivitamins can cause either D or C depending on how I'm feeling and what else is going on that day.

--------------------
*Emma*

#138954 - 01/15/05 09:12 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

lisadom try oscal the tablet form. it doesnt cause any bloating or c so much. hope yu feel better soon. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#139721 - 01/18/05 03:16 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

In the past, I could never take vitamins either because they always upset my tummy. But, I have been stable on Heather's diet for a couple years now and I take Centrum Silver---because it doesn't contain Iron. (and Iron can cause C and since I've had a Hysterectomy I don't need to worry about having enough iron each month.) I also take Citracal with Magnesium and Vit. D. I take a Citracal after my morning SFS and breakfast, my Centrum Silver after my SFS and my lunch, and another Citracal after my SFS and my supper. I haven't had any trouble taking either the Centrum or Citracal---but as I said before I didn't start using them UNTIL I had been stable for quite a while. Keep looking and make sure you eat and take your SFS first and you'll find something that'll work for you. Good Luck

#139730 - 01/18/05 03:36 PM
angelwhispers

Reged: 12/12/03

I have the same problem. I have tried everything and just can not tolerate vitamins no matter what brand or how much food I eat first. This is why I asked earlier about juicing because I felt so much better when I juiced my veggies and fruit. I'm wondering if Heather has any input on our delema.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1989 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1705

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review