All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: My dear Natalie new
      #140184 - 01/19/05 07:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Quote:

I've tried the straight soluble diet for about a week, then added in an insoluble at a time because I was so C. I didn't feel differently when I was straight soluble or when I started adding in insolubles. I felt gassy, bloated and constipated with both diets.

If you barely have any insoluables, you will almost definitely be C. You need to keep adding insoluables, as much as you can tolerate. This is the subtle difference between the D and C diets. D people need to incorporate insoluables in a tolerable way, mostly because of the vitamins they provide. C people, on the other hand, have to rely on a balance of soluable and insoluable in order to be able to go. If you want to take it as slowly as possible, try doing something like pureeing spinach in the blender and adding it to your soup, or to your mashed potatoes.
I hope this helps.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Now that was inspiring! new
      #140189 - 01/19/05 08:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Especially your last statement.

ps I've missed you, were ya been?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

How do you know new
      #140191 - 01/19/05 08:10 PM
Augie

How much insolubles is safe to have in one day? Until you are able to go (as in BM)?

Do you know if canned peaches and canned pears are still insoluble even though the canned have less fiber (much less) or is the fresh fruit better for C? or does it depend on the individual?

BTW, I also love your new pic Amanda Panda!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Now that was inspiring! Thank you Augie! new
      #140193 - 01/19/05 08:13 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Augie, I've been on holidays. Had a lovely break. I just replyed to your email.... hopefully I haven't confused you even more!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Don't think it's possible new
      #140194 - 01/19/05 08:15 PM
Augie

to confuse me anymore! I'm pretty darn dizzy with confusion already!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: How do you know new
      #140196 - 01/19/05 08:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

In figuring out how much insoluable fiber to have in a day, I would suggest probably trial and error. I'd wait until Saturday, when you don't have to be anywhere, and try to make all your meals and snacks include significantly more insoluable than you are used to. I am ibs-A pretty much, so I'm kind of prone to D if I get too much insoluable, but prone to C if I don't get enough. Try to do this without panicking. Remember that you've felt like crap before and that it hasn't killed you yet, you can survive. Do it on a day when you have no appointments, so no anxiety about being inconvenienced by feeling bad. I'd suggest something like adding a generous handful of raisins to your breakfast cereal, hot or cold. And maybe several pickle chips alongside your sandwich at lunch. For a snack I'd have something that feels like a treat, whether it's soluable or insoluable, as kind of a reward for trying new things all day. Then at dinner I'd have some steamed spinach or asparagus along with my main dish and some soluable like rice or pasta. If it doesn't make you feel any worse, do it again the next day! That's basically how I deal with it. Lately I've been more prone to C than to D, and I can agree with you that while D is no picknick, C is kind of harder to really fix. It's just going to take some patience. Also, for no reason that I can figure out, a bowl of cream of rice in the morning makes me go immediately. This doesn't happen when I have cold cereal or a bagel. I don't know if it's because the warm cream of rice relaxes my muscles, or what, but it helps me, so I'm passing it on. Same thing with hot tea of any kind.
As for the canned fruits, I think that without the skin they are almost entirely soluable. You might consider making homemade applesauce (recipe in Heather's book is just chopped apples and water), but leave some of the skin on.
Ok I'm out of idea. I hope I helped. You sure do sound like you are having a rough time.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Don't think it's possible new
      #140197 - 01/19/05 08:23 PM
Taylahmai

Poor thing Well I'm here to help in any way I can

--------------------

Re: How do you know new
      #140198 - 01/19/05 08:31 PM
Augie

Thanks Amanda, but what are pickle chips?

Do you think I could get "evicted" for asking so many questions and for always sounding so negative? I know everyone's patience must be waring thin with me. I'm sorry I am so high maintanance. I bet you guys are sort of sorry I ever found you guys!

I think I may try the acacia too. How's it working for you? Like you say, if I feel crummy already, why am I so afraid to try new things? Duh. I'll have to remember that! At least I would feel horrible but eating more enjoyable and greater variety of foods! And it may just help. And it may help to get over the anxiety of trying them if I just do it, as they say! I know it can't kill me. The worst that could happen is a pain I already live with.

Do you manage your IBS with only diet and acacia?

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, one more thing new
      #140199 - 01/19/05 08:33 PM
Taylahmai

Remember how I was sympathising with you about how IBS was taking over my life. Well I've started being less obsessed with what goes in my mouth and I've actually found I'm enjoying life so much more and my symptoms are no better no worse. For eg mum was staying recently and we were tucking into the wine and chocolate like there was no tomorrow. Apart from the usual bloat and gas I was fine!? I've been making some delicious GF muffins (todays is smoked salmon, asparagus and capsicum, yummmm) and am enjoying eating again, hooray! I think the main thing for me was exactly as I said in my previous post, I'm controlling the IBS and living my life the way that makes me happy I think so long as we are sensible we should be able to enjoy a long list of yummy foods. I hate to be the devils advocate but perhaps the bloat and gas are inevitable?? I could eat a yummy chicken and vege stirfry, or I could have plain chicken and rice and my symptoms will be exactly the same..... go figure??

--------------------

Re: Augie, one more thing new
      #140200 - 01/19/05 08:40 PM
Augie

It's worth some thought. As Amanda just posted to me, what's the worst that could happen by adding in new foods. I already feel yucky! I want to eat yummy foods again! I want to live again, celebrate holidays again, be happy again and not continue to be victimized and inprisoned by this hiddeous life stealing IBS!

I am proud of you! You have taken back your life. I hope I can get over the anxiety of trying new foods and just do it!

I need to go to sleep now. I'm going to be one tired puppy at work tomorrow!
Good night!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1800 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 46638

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review