All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Soy tolerance new
      #175057 - 04/29/05 09:47 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Well firstly a diet doesn't *need* milk and cheese, "fake" or otherwise. I've never eaten any dairy my whole life and it's only in the last few years that I've had soy replacements of diary products. There are lots of other foods to eat!

How long have you been playing around with soy? It's not very common for people to have soy intollerances but for *most* people it takes a little while for the body to get accustomed to it - most people get bloated from soy at first, not just those prone to bloating. "A while" can be anywhere from a few dayst to a few weeks I think. Beano might help, worth a try anyway.

Just give it time. Just eat as much soy each day as you want to and can find tolerable. If after a few weeks you're still getting bloated *from the soy* you could try cutting out for a week or so then slowly reintroducing it to see if that was the culprit.

Be patient!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy tolerance new
      #175110 - 04/29/05 12:35 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can try rice substitutes, too. I've never tried either the rice or soy cheeses - cheese is not a big deal for me - but I use rice milk in cooking and in my cereal. I use just plain Rice Dream brand, but I think it comes in flavors. Do a search on "rice milk" and see what pops up. You can also try a search on "soy milk bloating" and see what you can find about other people who've had this problem - I think it's pretty common.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Retrograde is RIGHT re: soy new
      #175136 - 04/29/05 01:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Retrograde: you are right re: milk/cheese. I think "notadoctor" is after calcium rich foods to incorporate in his diet. You are also right re: soy. It does take a while to get used to soy. A different set of enzymes are required to digest the nutrients in soy.However, it is easy to get calcium from non-dairy, non-soy sources, and non-broccoli sources!

#175191 - 04/29/05 06:01 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

Yeh I read that soy requires a different enyeme, I have just recently begun having soy. I did have soy sauce before, but that was maybe once a week, and the amount of soy sauce I had wa snot equal to the amount of Soy Milk I have been drinking.
I guess then I should keep taking in as much soy as I would like, and if in two weeks I still feel bloated, move to rice.
I really like the flavor of soy, and I think it would be easier to get a better tasting Soy Milk and find soy cheese and ice cream than it would to find rice cheese and ice cream, so I want this to work for me.
Is beano an antacid, I want to not have antacid, and does it have the enzyme which helps digest soy additonally. Thanks.

#175202 - 04/29/05 07:38 PM
retrograde

Thanks Wind!

Beano is a digestive enzyme, not an antacid. Unless you have heartburn, there shouldn't be any need to take antacids. And if you don't need them, they're NOT a good way to get calcium! (They can also act as a laxative, too).

There isn't necessarily a *single enzyme* that we require to digest soy and it might be different in different people. Your best insurance is, before meals, taking one or two complete digestive enzymes (which means it can help you digest carbs, protein and fats - I THINK beano has this but it might just be carbs, not sure since I've never used it). This is something you'll probably want to try anyway (if you haven't already) just as a general IBS remedy to help with your bloating.

Yep, I'm getting that sense too. -nt- new
      #175218 - 04/29/05 08:50 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Notadoctor/soy/enzymes new
      #175327 - 04/30/05 01:56 PM
Wind

You could try digestive enzymes, or beano--some of us find it effective with "challenging foods." I use enzymes and I personally find them helpful and effective, although WARNING, it doesn't work on broccoli or cabbage or onions for me, but it does with beans and soy is a bean. Sometimes the sugars cause digestive distress until your body adjusts to metabolizing them/processing them. A fair trial run of soy in your diet sounds like a fair shot.

I can't take Beano... new
      #175953 - 05/02/05 06:40 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

because it isn't Kosher. Any other ideas for digestive enzymes that are kosher AND gluten free? I did a search and couldn't find anything...sorry if I'm repeating here.

Thanks y'all!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I can't take Beano... new
      #175969 - 05/02/05 07:18 PM
retrograde

There are lots of brands of digestive enzymes out there - virtually every vitamin company and pharmacy store brand seems to have one. Beano is certainly not the only one!

I'm not sure about gluten free or kosher but I'm sure there would be something!

Re: I can't take Beano... new
      #175974 - 05/02/05 07:30 PM
Wind

Fear not. I don't take Beano--it's got gelatin and crap in it that offends...there are other digestive enzymes--vegan--out there. Just go to a natural food store and you'll find something suitable...without pancreas and stuff in it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1062 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review