All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Is soy margarine better new
      #138250 - 01/14/05 05:21 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had always thought Earth Balance was soy oil margarine. The soy oil margarine I buy (Willow Run) is about 11 grams too I think. I am out right now and getting some this morning. But anyway as long as margarine doesn't have any dairy dervitives it is about the same. I don't think any dairy free ones are much lower in fat than the rest of the dairy free. Besides, it being made of soybean oil is not a big deal- the others are just vegetable oil and that is pretty much the same when you get down to it. (it isn't "soy" as in tofu like, it is soy as in soybean oil, so it is pretty normal).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Soy Garden new
      #138463 - 01/14/05 11:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

is the brand that people use. Can be found in most conventional grocery stores. I have never tried it because I don't know if soy is a trigger for me. I do know that it does still have 11 grams of fat same as Earth Balance

I use a brand called Smart Balance squeeze (I think)which is lactose and dairy free and only has 2 grams fat per Tablespoon. Don't know if it causes problems since, as I keep repeating, not sure what is right now I do know there doesn't seem to be anything listed on the ingredients that looks like a trigger. I got the name of this "butter" from doing a search. Someone else had recommended it! If you are interested in it, I can look in my fridge later and get the name.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I think I was wrong new
      #138465 - 01/14/05 11:42 AM
Little Minnie

They didn't have my soy margarine today so I loooked around and found Smart Balance which has a mixture of oils and only 5 grams of fat! If I tolerate it well (which I should) I will stick with it since the Willow Run has more fat. Although tub margarine cannot be baked with so I'll but the other for baking (if they ever get it back again). Anyway the thing is that sometimes people tolerate canola oil the best and then soybean oil and then other oils. So the answer to which is best is: they are all the same unless you can't tolerate other kinds of oils. Just find one that is dairy free.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Soy Garden new
      #138467 - 01/14/05 11:46 AM
Little Minnie

Chances are you are eating soybean oil in other things without knowing it. Soybean oil should be tolerable. You could tell a soy allergy better with soy nuts or tofu maybe. So the soybean margarine should be okay but I would stick with what you have been using. (From my perspective it is the fat content that is important along with no dairy. I had been using the spray that is fat free but has a little buttermilk. I decided to cut out all dairy derivitives and that means eating a little margarine which has fat! This is hard b/c I am trying to lose 5 lbs. So anything that is lower in fat is what I am going with for butter substitutes that are dairy free!)

--------------------

Re: Is soy margarine better new
      #138497 - 01/14/05 12:59 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Everyone is differnet....I use Soy Garden and I LOVE it, never had a problem with it at all - and sometimes I use a lot in mashed potatoes! You need to find out if you have a soy tolerance! I love soy now, and I don't think I ever would have tried it if it weren't for IBS...so I guess that's one good thing this darn stomach thing gave me.

--------------------
~Cara~

Soy tolerance new
      #138522 - 01/14/05 02:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I can't tell if I have a tolerance to anything it seems because I am always symptomatic! How do I figure this out? I'm always gassy, bloated and constipated!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Soy tolerance new
      #138611 - 01/14/05 05:20 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hmm....well I guess you'd have to be pretty stable to see if you had a soy tolerance....HOWEVER, if your symptoms don't really change after you eat it, I'm sure it's fine.

I think that if you are not tolerant of it, you would know right away...

Lucky for me (SARCASM) my husband cannot eat soy...I started cooking with it and he had D every time. SO now I have to cook 2 meals all the time! It's wonderful....(more sarcasm)

--------------------
~Cara~

#138879 - 01/15/05 03:06 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth and Cara,

Another thing to keep in mind regarding soy is that you need to build up the amount of soy you eat slowly because our bodies don't normally make the enzyme (raffinase) needed to digest the sugars in soy (raffinose). But if you start eating small amounts, it trains the body to start producing the enzyme and you can build up to eating as much of it as you want with no problem (the problems being gas, bloating and D). Alternatively, you can take Bean-O which is the soy enzyme (raffinase), just like Lactaid is the milk sugar enzyme (lactase).

Did that make any sense at all?????!!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#175029 - 04/29/05 08:47 AM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

How long does it take to build soy tolerance?
Do you think I am not tolerant of soy based on how the last couple days, I have had Soy Milk, 8 oz, and about 10 minutes afterwards I feel bloated.
Yesterday I had some at night, 8 oz, this morning I had Soy Milk with my cereal. Both times, within 10 minutes, I felt bloated.
Now when I get bloated off most things, I feel bloated at once, with Soy it takes more time.

I want to know based on what I have described if I am not tolerant of soy, or if this sounds like my body is adjusting to soy.
Should I take beano?
I have gas too.
How should I and what can I do to get my body properly digesting soy, do I have to increase the amount I have each day? How much, 16 oz, and how long should it take before I can have soy, I need to have soy, how else will I get Milk and cheese.

Here we go again... :( -nt- new
      #175033 - 04/29/05 08:51 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review