All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Does Triphala work for C? Is it harmful? new
      #142169 - 01/24/05 06:32 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Sorry this response is so outdated. I just found this thread. Thought I'd let you know I've tried the triphala (plantary brand- I also read Dr. Weil's website). Unfortunately, I had no results whatsoever from it. I've been a stubborn C for years, and absolutely the ONLY thing that has made any difference for me is getting rid of IF. Have you started taking the triphala? Any results?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I really wish I hadn't seen this response new
      #142178 - 01/24/05 06:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think a lot of what helps is mind related. And now that I've read that you had no help from it, I'm expecting it won't work for me now either.

Sometimes I wonder if I should stop visiting this board. Everyone is different and the advice is too confusing and hopes are dashed with one response.

I don't understand how stopping IF helped your C as IF is pushed for folks with constipation. Over and over again the C folks are told to add as much IF as they can.

If youv'e visited the websites, this herb as been used in different countries throughout many years for constipation. I don't know how all these people could be wrong for all these years.

I know you were just adding your experience to the post, but it was hard for me to read that yet another idea I thought would help me is going down the drain. It's been a bad day, and I am just taking this letdown very hard. I just want to cry from all this IBS "crap". I just want to feel better and I really thought the triphala would help. I wish I hadn't seen your post. Nothing personal. Just having a bad day and wish I hadn't seen my hopes dashed.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hang in there Augie... new
      #142187 - 01/24/05 07:16 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I know and I understand. Please don't get discouraged. What works for one may not for another. You still need to try everything that you can and experiment and not let other people's experiences get you down. It's hard sweetie, I feel real frustrated at times too, but don't get upset, ok? Just keep trying and doing what you are doing and soon you will find the "formula" you are looking for!

Jessica

#142191 - 01/24/05 07:25 PM
jessica28

I only started a few days ago, so nothing really yet. I read that it can take a few weeks for effects, so I'm going to stick with it for a little while....

Jessica, I needed to hear that! new
      #142192 - 01/24/05 07:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I really think I'm losing it here tonight. So many contradictions and when I read that post, I just started crying, literally. I mean, how much ambiguity and confusion can we take? In addition to this horrible Constipation and gas and cramps. My mind and my body are killing me here!

Thank you so much for being here for me. You have been such a good person for me to bounce things off of. Our experiences are so similar and it helps to know that you are pushing along and continuing to fight.

If I could just have a BM I know I would feel a lot better physically and emotionally. I just found out today that my doctor will not be able to get me samples of miralax, so that was disappointing too.

So are you going to continue to take the triphala even though the post said it didn't do anything? Or are we wasting our money and making matters worse for our IBS? Maybe it is causing more problems than help. What ya think?

I really am considering quitting the boards. I think they may be bad for me. I am not able to take what helps and leave the rest. I get too confused. I like definates and this board is just so contradictory lots of times. I think it may be causing more harm than good for my emotional state. The stress level has definately worsened. Yet, I can't seem to stay away.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hang in there Augie from me too... new
      #142213 - 01/24/05 09:41 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Beth, repeat in your head 'everyone is different, everyone is different'. We have chatted so many times about this and remember our conclusions - we need to stop taking these posts to heart. The idea of the board is for people to share their experiences and no one thing will EVER work for everyone. Think of ADs, everyone responds differently to them and it requires trial and error to find the one that works for you. I used to take ADs and visited message boards similar to these to try and find the one that worked for me, cos it felt like none of them did. Well after several months and lots of stress! I found that noone could say one AD was the one to go with. Thats because there isn't one magic formula for health. So I realised I had to stop asking everyone else and just try for myself.

I know it is so expensive for you to try all these different IBS treatments, but its the only way you're going to find out what works for you. If tripahala is working for you, then keep using it COS IT WORKS! Who cares if it doesn't work for other people. I just think you desperately want more from these boards then they are able to offer.

Am I telling you anything you don't already know and believe? Probably not. I've written similar posts like this to you before. So why write another one? Because sometimes we just need people to reach out to us and tell us its going to be okay. I can't tell you its going to be okay. But I am reaching out to you.

So Beth sweetie, your IBS won't improve until your state of mind does. Only when we have a positive outlook on life will we have positive change inside.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Jessica, I needed to hear that! new
      #142217 - 01/24/05 09:53 PM
jessica28

As mentioned, don't worry if someone didn't like something or it didn't work. You HAVE to try for yourself. I have found things on these boards useful and also alot of it not useful at all. I think the most useful thing you can do for yourself is experiment. It sucks, it costs money, but I have finally gotten to the point to where I don't have to run out and buy some Dulcolax anymore. It took me awhile, but now I've got the Miralax, soluble fiber (whether its Acacia, Citrucel, Benefiber...you don't have to spend tons of money Beth) they all work, some you may just have to take a little more of than others, and the magnesium. I just want to try those herbs because they are more natural. Miralax is not bad for you like most laxatives, but you can end up relying on it to go #2....that's why I still want to try other things, but at least have a way to go in the meantime, ya know? Do you have health insurance? Miralax is pretty pricey, about $60 a bottle, which last one month, I don't have insurance right now, but get the generic brand, Glycolax, which is $45...still expensive, but better. Hopefully maybe your doctor will get some more samples in soon though. Start increasing your citrucel though.... It is confusing on here sometimes, but just don't obsess over what you read and try not to read EVERYTHING either and become overwhelmed. None of us are experts, so don't take everything too serious. I'm here for you!!! If you do ever quit the boards or just want to send me some personal emails, do so at jaworski1@cox.net anytime!!

Jessica

#142547 - 01/25/05 01:14 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Jessica, i'm sorry my response bummed you out. Of course that wasn't my intention- I just understand the frustration of what seems like throwing away all of our money on this herb or that herb and hoping it will be the one that helps. You should try the triphala, maybe it will work for you. I can say it didn't give me any negative side effects, so thats a good thing. Try to hang in there. I feel just as horrible as you do and I understand the feeling that there are so many mixed messages. It does seem that what works for one of us doesn't for the next. Wish I had known you were around when I lived in Illinois. I moved to AZ 5 years ago believe it or not so I could wear less clothing..... even CLOTHES hurt sometimes. Try to make it through these few days. I have no explanation as to why IF makes my constipation worse. Believe me it pisses me off to no end that the exact thing i've been using to combat it has only made it worse. It's all such a mess sometimes. But we can't give up. As long as there are drug companies that can get rich off of our misery, there is hope that they will find a magic bullet!

Taroh73... new
      #142565 - 01/25/05 01:29 PM
jessica28

Hi, actually it was Augie that was having more frustrations, not myself, although it does frustrate me! I live in Phoenix also! What part of town are you in? I live off Bell Rd. and the 51. Maybe we could get together sometime and vent!!!

Jessica

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review