All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Planetary brand triphala new
      #139461 - 01/17/05 08:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Jessica I know you ordered this brand of triphala. Wanted to warn you that it contains vitamin C. I received this response on my question concerning vitamin C effects on IBS.

"It may be somewhat helpful for constipation prone IBS - but be careful -- because it can be like a laxative. Here is what Heather said:

"Vitamin C is particularly notorious for causing gas, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, and as the name implies, it's acidic. When it enters the alkaline environment of the lower intestinal tract it can create diarrhea and gas. In Germany, vitamin C is actually an approved laxative, so imagine what it will do to you if you have IBS. The recommended dose for Vitamin C is generally under 2,000 mg. daily. Over that, and you really risk the GI side effects. Unless your doctor has recommended otherwise, make sure your multivitamin does not exceed one hundred percent of the US RDA for Vitamin C."

Here is the link:
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#vit

What do you think about this? I'm scared to take this anymore.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Planetary brand triphala new
      #139782 - 01/18/05 06:29 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Do both brands contain Vitamin C? Does this mean that the stuff is harmful then? I haven't gotten yet, so I haven't tried it. I always take alot of Vitamin C and it has never gave me the runs or irritated me. Just like I've heard calcium causes constipation...never has made a difference on me. I will keep you posted....

Jessica

#139783 - 01/18/05 06:47 PM
Augie

I'm so glad you checked in! You and me are the only ones trying the triphala! We are so similar! It's nice having someone who is at the same place as I--same symptoms, same past experience with the Eating Disorder (ED for short). I think you asked me about that in an email.

No, the other brand contains only the herbs without the added C or other fillers. Problem with the other brand is that it is that it only has 1/4 the amount of beneficial herb dosage that the planetary brand contains (1000mg a day compared to 4000mg).

I don't know if it is harmful or not. Like everything else, the responses have pretty much been that everyone is different and able to tolerate things at different levels. If you want more info, see my post on Vitamin C and also the thread on Reliv. Heather posted her comments about vit C on both these posts. I'm still confused, but it may help you decide what to do.

Please keep me posted on how you do. Since you have not had problems with vit. C before, you should be fine. I'm not sure about myself as I can't tolerate anything very well. No calcium or even advil.

I'm not sure what I will do. I want the benefits that this may offer for constipation, but don't need more gas and cramps.

--------------------
~ Beth

#139833 - 01/19/05 05:31 AM
jessica28

ARe you still taking it now? Are you going to keep with it? Maybe you should go back to the other kind and see what happens....

Jessica

#140141 - 01/19/05 06:15 PM
Augie

Today I am trying to take half and half! I take one of the pure herb at 250mg and one of the planetary with all the vit c and other "fillers" but worth 1000mg after breakfast, and the same way after dinner. This way, I am only getting 60 % Dv and not going over by taking 120% the DV. I'm only getting 2500 mg compared to the 4000mg with straight planetary. But I want to see if it helps with the BM without the risk of the cramping and gas. I get cramps and gas when I am constipated though so if the C gets any worse, I will probably go back to the 4000mg triphala. I am as confused as you are on what to do. We both just want to have a BM!

Did you check out the responses on the RELIV thread and the Vitamin C for constipation? Confusing. But Heather made me feel a little better when she said megadoses of C is what you should worry about. I think the RELIV products contain like 800% of the daily recommended amount of vit C in 2 scoops! So even if you only took 1 scoop you would still be at 400%. So that's a lot more than the triphala!

Have you started yours yet? Maybe since you take miralax and acacia you won't even need this supplement. I would rather take the triphala if it works over the miralax, just because I think it is less habit forming, less dependent forming. But I will do or take whatever works best. My problem is that there can be so many things causing the cramps and gas that I don't know what to cut out.

--------------------
~ Beth

#140165 - 01/19/05 07:05 PM
jessica28

Hi! I just got it in the mail today. I'm going to start taking it before bed tonight. I'm sick....:(....so sorry for the delayed responses. How long do you need to take it before I will see anything?

Sorry you are sick new
      #140177 - 01/19/05 07:33 PM
Augie

GL with the triphala. I think it will work for you since you have no problems with vit c. I really do Jessica!

It says on the website not to expect results for a couple weeks. So don't expect immediate results. It seems like it worked faster than that for me in the beginning.

But it isn't doing much for me now. I think the stress and my new work schedule is the culprit though, because it was working before this new job and I wasn't taking zelnorm or colace with it before either and now I have to take those too.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Sorry you are sick new
      #140325 - 01/20/05 09:50 AM
jessica28

Thanks...feeling like crap today, got the flu. So, when you did finally go, was it a healthy BM or runny? Sorry to be so graphic. Are you taking two in the morning and two at night? Also, does it give you gas? I just took my first two this morning, so we'll see in hopefully a few days something may come out! I'm still going to take the fiber and miralax though. I take higher doses of Vit C during the winter months, obviously it didn't do any good , but have never had problems with it irritating my stomach or anything. Keep me posted on your triphala and I will as well. Have a good one

#140342 - 01/20/05 10:53 AM
Augie

It was a healthy BM Not runny or anything. It was great. Don't know why it went away Like I said, I think it is my new schedule, no time in am for proper BM time to sit on potty and relax.

I don't know if it caused gas as I am taking zelnorm, colace and SFS that cause gas. Yes I am gassy everyday, all day. But no gassier than before the triphala. I am especially gassy today because no C I'm having a painful C and gassy day. I hate IBS

--------------------
~ Beth

#140395 - 01/20/05 01:02 PM
jessica28

I hear ya, me too. It seems like everything else I have taken just makes my poop runny, so this sounds pretty good. Isn't it gross to talk about this? At least we both understand! I have been pretty gassy today though, not sure if its the triphala or not...hmmm..we'll see. It took you two weeks to get a bm from this stuff?

Jessica

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review