Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tired all the time
      #13764 - 07/11/03 03:37 AM
DonnaB

Reged: 07/11/03
Loc: Australia

Hi Everyone,

I am new to posting on the boards, although I have been browsing them for about 6 months. I was diagnosed with IBS in april 2002 and since then I think I have done a great job keeping it under control.

However, in the past couple of months I have been really tired no matter what time I go to bed. I don't know if it is related to IBS but I have only felt this way since I have had it. In the past couple of weeks I have been very tired and stressed [end of financial year in Australia] and I don't know what to do about it.

I have been thinking about quiting my job so I can get more sleep [not getting up a 6am and home at 6:30pm] and of course it would reduce my stress levels. But it is a drastic thing to do and wanted to know if there is a better way to get over being tired.

Thanks for listening and sorry if it is bit long.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired all the time new
      #13766 - 07/11/03 04:00 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Hi DonnaB,

Feeling tired and fatigued is pretty normal with IBS but I think quitting your job is a bit drastic. Can you negotiate your hours with your employer to give you a bit of slack. Surely it's better for both of you and I can't imagine your employer wants to lose you, especially at this time of the year. (Unless of course you're self employed!?!)

Crow

#13767 - 07/11/03 04:08 AM
DonnaB

I am glad to hear being tired is normal and I have thought about asking for different hours [no I am not self employed] but I am pretty sure my boss won't go for it. I half jokingly said to my supervisor that I should have fridays off [as by then I can hardly keep awake!] but he said that was not an option [in a much nicer way].

I don't really want to quit, but sometimes it seems the easy solution.

#13778 - 07/11/03 06:59 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

First, I would suggest seeing your doctor and having some blood work done. It could be that this is not related to IBS at all.

Second, I know many people with IBS cut down on meat, dairy, and eggs. As a vegetarian of several years, I know that if you cut out these foods you could run short of B vitamins. A standard multivitamin really doesn't have enough B for vegetarians, so you might try taking a B-complex supplement. I can really tell a difference in my energy level if I don't take mine for several days.

Third, are you depressed? Your job situation sounds stressful. I know a major symptom of depression is feeling tired. My sister went through a phase where she was almost too tired to move and her energy level improved drastically once she was put on an antidepressant. She hadn't really felt "sad" before, just stressed and tired and "not caring."

Hope this helps!

#13783 - 07/11/03 07:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Being fatigued and IBS can def. be related! Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough protein? Can you take breaks at work? Do you eat frequently enough?

I'm also really tired these days. Stress can ware you out! (I'm moving in 5 weeks...so I'm totaly stressed!) If you decide to try B-complex vitamins and that helps, let me know. I've thought of doing that myself...but I haven't heard much about it.

Did you have blood work done? It could be you don't get enough iron or something. Is the weather humid? That can also contribute (I know it's not helping me...New England wetaher is brutal right now!)

I hope you get more energy and feel better soon!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13839 - 07/12/03 12:01 AM
DonnaB

I can actually eat most meats [as long as they are low fat], dairy and eggs which I eat each week. I haven't tried B-complex vitamins but I have tried other vitamins which I reacted to and haven't taked since.

Also, I don't think I am depressed as I only got married in May and I know the difference [thats the first thing I thought of]. The great thing was I was fine and had my IBS under full control before the wedding.

I had a blood test done when I was first diagnosed and they said everything was fine.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review