All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Paxil-CR
      #136399 - 01/08/05 05:48 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

I haven't been here in a while because, honestly, I haven't needed to! I was diagnosed with IBS in 1998 and have had continually worstening attacks since then. I spent most of May 2004 at home; I think I missed over 2 weeks of work that month and was in so much pain. Around that time, in one of Heather's news letters, was an article about a study done with Paxil-CR on IBS symptoms.

I have also been seeing a Psychiatrist because I have panic attacks, and tend to get severe depression whenever I have a terrible attack. I told her about this study and she agreed to let me try it out, as I needed to get on an anti-depressant anyway. Well, that was in early June, when I was still slowly recovering and still eating mostly rice and applesauce, if anything. Since then I have had a handful of very very minor panic attacks, and only ONE IBS attack, which involved my first and only visit to a Greek restaurant. (who know chicken and rice could be dangerous???) Anyhow, I guess I'm saying thank you to Heather for helping me through college with her personal e-mails of strenth and suggestions, and also thank you for helping to keep us up on the latest medical news. I'm no longer constipated all the time, and I just feel so much better. I was able to eat Christmas Dinner this year. Last year I had chicken broth and applesauce because 2 days earlier I'd ended up in the emergency room from the pain. I don't know if Paxil would work the same for everyone with IBS - I highly doubt it - but it is working for me. So thank you so much! I still stay on your diet, as I'm not so fixed as to eat anything I want all the time, but I was able to enjoy cookies over Christmas, while choosing turkey instead of ham at dinner. Many Many hugs to you!

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Paxil-CR new
      #136402 - 01/08/05 05:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's fabulous Beth. Congrats.

#136449 - 01/08/05 09:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

That's great, Beth. Glad to hear you are doing so well. About the Greek food -- olive oil is hidden in EVERYTHING, and that's the culprit. The good news is that most yummy Greek recipes can be made at home with a lot less oil (of course you do sacrifice some of the oil's flavor). Anyway that's a good solution if you are ever craving Greek food again.
Keep feeling well, and don't get discouraged if you have an icky day from time to time!
Best,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#137573 - 01/12/05 09:19 AM
The Cat Whisperer

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Just a quick note about Paxil. Make sure you defiantly want to go that route, Paxil can be VERY hard to come off of, It took me two months to stop feeling noxious, and queasy all the time after stopping the drug (slowly). Some people feel that it is impossible to come off of. There are alternatives to Paxil, so make sure your doc and you have explored all your options.

Glad you had a good x-mas! Hope whatever you choose works out for you!

--------------------
Christien Lomax (TheCatWhisperer)
thecatwhisperer@gmail.com
http://www.thecatwhisperer.net

#138212 - 01/13/05 10:21 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Thanks for the info, though it's probably too late for that anyhow! I've been on it since June. I am, however, on the absolute lowest dose of Paxil-CR, so, should I decide to go off of it, I should be okay. I've been on many different kinds of anti-depressant and gone off of them just fine. Also, my mom and grandma have both gone off of it with no problems, so if genetics is any clue, I should be fine. It is something to consider when starting ANY med though. However, if staying on Paxil means I'm 2 millions times happier and actually feel WELL, then screw it - I'll stay on it forever.

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 950 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review