All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need to gain weigh, plus watch the triggers.
      #136357 - 01/08/05 01:54 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Does Heather offer anything about weigh gain? Or does anyone know of a few items I can start with that will put on weigh?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to gain weigh, plus watch the triggers. new
      #136369 - 01/08/05 02:48 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

I have no practical experience at being under weight. I do have some thoughts though. Add thing like soy cheese (many are very good read the ingredience though because some have milk in them) I'd add it to everything. I found Dorito style chips at my health food store that aren't fried. There is wonderful soy Ice cream out there if you can tolerate sugar. You could even make that into a shake with soy milk. Your portion size will make a difference too. I hope this helps a little.

Love,

Jamie

#136371 - 01/08/05 02:58 PM
Harmony

I just ran over to the local market to see if they had some of the items. Unfortunately a trip to the health food store or a larger store is going to do the trick. Thanks for the suggestions. The shakes the Dr. recommends are hurting me. I will have a long talk with her on Tues. Thanks so much for responding. I looked for the chips here, but they only have them fried. Where did you find yours?

Quick breads and sweets! new
      #136380 - 01/08/05 03:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Any of Heather's safe quick breads and sweets are a good way to put on pounds, as is princesspea's suggestion to increase portion sizes. I know where you're coming from; an especially bad IBS bout had me down to 105, about 15lbs underweight. It took a while, but I worked up to larger portions, ate quick breads and cakes every day, and I gained back my 15. I also ate a LOT of potatoes... it's not unusual for me to make 3 potatoes' worth of oven fries for myself for a single meal, because they're easy to munch on and lose track of how many you're eating.

Good luck!

#136384 - 01/08/05 03:59 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I need to start gaining weight, too, and my doc suggested more soy yogurt, especially at night since eating anything at night will make you gain weight. Unfortunately, I have trouble eating late at night, but try that if it works for you. Also, I eat Earth Balance vegan buttery spread which has a lot of fat. What shakes did you try? I have also used a hemp based protein powder in smoothies and I can tolerate that pretty well...hope it helps!

--------------------
~Angela

#136392 - 01/08/05 05:22 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

I unfortunatly found the chips at a health food store. I'm sorry I didn't realize that would be a problem... I guess I shouldn't assume.

Love,

Jamie

Re: Quick breads and sweets! new
      #136467 - 01/09/05 07:51 AM
Harmony

Thanks so much will start right away. I have always ate eggs, and that was my main source of protein, and weigh, but now must give them up. I will do some of Heathers breads and get soy yogurt to see if that will turn this around. Thanks!

#136469 - 01/09/05 07:54 AM
Harmony

You have given me some excellant ideas. No reason to think you haven't. I am going to go to the local health store tomorrow and get the items you suggested. I need 15 lbs and I must start right away. So thanks, your kindness and replies have helped. I have a horrible phobia about food now, and am trying to deal with that. Trusting foods again that shouldn't be a trigger. The list of triggers helps me trust those foods I can eat. this site has been a blessing.

#136486 - 01/09/05 10:09 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Casey, good for you! I haven't been around much due to my migraines, so I didn't realize you were doing so well!! I love oven fries too!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#136487 - 01/09/05 10:11 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Another idea is egg white omelets or Eggbeaters. Do a search on the recipe board.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review