All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Interesting doctor's visit.
      #136285 - 01/08/05 08:34 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I went for my 3 month follow up visit with my GI doc. He confirmed what my own doctor told me that I don't have Crohn's and everything is normal YAY!

So I asked him if it is IBS and he doesn't think I have IBS? He thinks my bad stomach flu, followed by food poisoning a month later did some MAJOR havoc on my insides and it took me 6+ months to recover. He told me to eat anything I like.

Well, I am smarter than that!!! Even though I am MUCH better, I still have to be careful. I know for a fact that I still have my big list of triggers that are guaranteed to give me problems.

Weird though? What do you guys think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Interesting doctor's visit. new
      #136289 - 01/08/05 08:44 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Eat anything you like? We're smarter than that, eh?!

As great as the news sounds, I think I would get a second opinion. While there may be truth in your food poisoning doing some major damage, etc., I would want to hear another opinion.

Good luck, go have a Big Mac, ha ha!!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#136294 - 01/08/05 09:24 AM
Sara-Sage

No, this is fater a lot of medical testing and 2 different GI docs.

#136300 - 01/08/05 09:39 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Yes that is weird! Did he say what would make him think it was IBS - I mean how he would distinguish one from the other? Do you think he just doesn't "like" IBS as a diagnosis? Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating ... If you feel you are on the right track with what you are doing, keep on doing it! But (sigh) it would be so nice if it got better just like that, wouldn't it?

Josephine

#136305 - 01/08/05 10:20 AM
Sara-Sage

Ya, it's weird. He says that I don't have enough of the classic IBS symptoms? I do. I think he thinks that IBS is just a catch-all term when there's something wrong but they don't know what.

Anyhow, I am taking this as good news that I am getting better.

#136313 - 01/08/05 10:32 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Glad you got good news about not having IBS. I think if the diet makes you feel better keep doing it. Once you get into the swing of it it's not hard to follow. Just keep doing what your doing to feel better.

Love,

Jamie

Tina new
      #136353 - 01/08/05 01:40 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What exactly are your symptoms? I myself think it would be so cool if it was the food poisoning and not this stinking IBS. Maybe you are feeling better because it really did take 6 months to heal and the diet helped you get to that point.

But you said you think you still have triggers? What are they? Maybe they would be problems for people who don't have IBS, like coffee or fructose or dairy..

Yeah, no crohns!

It's hard to advise you on what to do. If the diet makes you feel better that is great if you decide to stick with it. But if you could venture out and still feel great because you are now "healed" and don't have IBS your diet and life could be so much more expanded and freeing for you. I think you would be able to tell right away if it were IBS by doing a challenge of some unsafe IBS foods, like a peeled fruit or chocolate or whole eggs, etc. Or try eating some insolubles without having to have a soluble base. You could always return to your old standby safe IBS diet. Just a thought!

Also, maybe this is the reason you didn't need an SFS to become stable?

I know I would be scared to "mess with a good thing". But like I said you can always return back to the diet if you find problems. GL!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#136375 - 01/08/05 03:40 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

It seems weird that he would say you don't have the "classic" IBS symptoms since it seems like everyone has such different symptoms, reactions, and triggers, which is why I sort of agree that it is a "catch-all" diagnosis, but maybe that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the syndrome encompassed by the catch-all term? (was that confusing? sorry...) Clearly, it's very subjective since there is no specific diagnostic test...I'm happy for you that your symptoms seem to be subsiding, and maybe you should just consider yourself "in remission"!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: Tina new
      #136395 - 01/08/05 05:37 PM
Sara-Sage

My symptoms have changed a lot. They USED to be chronic 'd' and bad abdominal cramps. Now I only get 'd' once in a while (once or twice a month) and maybe cramping about the same frequency.

My triggers are caffeine, dairy, fried food, chocolate, soda, peanut butter, alcohol, and maybe a couple of other things. To me, it's clearly IBS. Don't you think? I'm not going to start having some of those things as I know they will cause problems. Plus, they're just not healthy.

I can eat soluables with no problem. That's something new. I still have problems with salads but can eat raw fruit and veggies!

Ya, I don't want to 'mess with a good thing'. I might try and have a couple of things to test the water. For example, I bought some walnut bread that has whole grains in it. I'll se what happens with that.

Who knows?

#136396 - 01/08/05 05:42 PM
Sara-Sage

Ya, I do consider myself in remission. My friends and family have seen a huge change. I am able to eat more foods (not just rice, pasta and potatoes), have put the weight that I lost from chronic 'd' back on, and hardly ever complain that my tummy hurts.

Before it sounds like I have the perfect health, I don't. I have bad insomnia that really wears me down so that steals a lot of my energy. If I could somehow get that under control, I'd be very, very happy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8501 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review