All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Coffee?!?!?
      #136279 - 01/08/05 08:20 AM
gfil03

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: Maryland, US

I have not been diagnosed yet but they think I might have IBS...still undergoing some tests...but I came to the site looking for information. I am a coffee addict!! I see where it says I shouldn't drink it to switch to tea...unfortunately tea, even though I loved it as a kid, upsets my stomach horribly as an adult. Do I really need to give up coffee completely if I am diagnosed with IBS?!?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

In a word, yes. new
      #136298 - 01/08/05 09:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you MUST give up coffee if you have IBS, or you simply aren't going to feel better. The caffeine is no good, and there's an enzyme in it (or possibly the tannins, I don't remember which) that makes even the caffeine-free kind no good as well (by the way, you can't drink regular tea either, for the same reasons).

Herbal teas are the way to go. I drink Teeccino, too, which you brew like coffee and it actually tastes really, really good... and I was a hardcore coffee addict (at least a pot a day), so if I think it tastes pretty good, it really must be.

I always tell everyone that if I can kick the coffee/tea/soda habit, anyone can... good luck!!

Re: Coffee?!?!? new
      #136315 - 01/08/05 10:45 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Hi,

I just want to second the yes. I went from a pot and a half a day to none. Now I had to taper myself off. The withdrawl was too bad when I tried cold turkey. If herb teas up set your tummy try, peppermint, ginger, camomile or fennel they are usually pretty soothing. There also a Celestial Seasonings tea called Tummy mint that goes down well. You can find out on their site where to find it in your area. Hope this helps.

Love,

Jamie

YEP! Sorry, but it isn't worth it- nt new
      #136334 - 01/08/05 11:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

All coffee, decaf or reg is extremely bad... new
      #136338 - 01/08/05 12:03 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

and must go! Really, it is so acidic and has really bad GI effects on people who don't even have IBS! Sorry, it wasn't what I wanted to hear either.

BTW, there are some herb teas that do have a coffee like flavor, like Teeceeno or Dandelion Root. By far not even close to the wonderful taste of hot coffee with a little sugar and cream (yummy) and no lovely coffee smell (ahh!) but much better for the tummy.

You know what I used to drink a pot or more a day. But now I can't even cheat. I made myself a cup and had a few sips and had to throw it out because I honestly didn't like the taste anymore. It tastes like poison to me now because I know what it will do to me, how sick it will make me.

It truly is aversion therapy I think!

Give it up, you can do it like all the rest of us cofee connesieurs have. I promise you won't be sorry

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#136424 - 01/08/05 08:27 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

Hi, I'm sorry, yes you do. You at LEAST have to get off it completely to see how much better you feel. You will find it's totally worth it. I was drinking 4 - 5 cups a day and rather quickly went to none. After 3-4 days off coffee my tummy flattened out and the pain disappeared. I now drink only green tea (which provides a little bit of caffeine) and herbal tea. Fennel, peppermint and chamomile are wonderfullly soothing. Now, I can have the occasional soy mocha and I do, but I much prefer being a coffee-free person and if you knew me 3 months ago you would never believe it!
You can do it! Good luck.

#136432 - 01/08/05 08:52 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Welcome to our world.Yes,if you WANT to feel better,you HAVE to give it up-I think other then possibly cheesecake,there is NOTHING worse for IBS.I was a hardcore science major on 2 pots a day-and I actually had to drop out of school bc of how sick it made me.I actually had a GREY PALLOR from all the diaherra and pain and was hospitalized once for a stomach attack.I'm actually scared to death right now of school without coffee-my brain feels like I'm sleepwalking all the time.I haven't been sharp mentally since.But I know if I drink that damn stuff,all the sacrifice I made to get my career back will be for NOTHING.It's not worth it.I'll find another way and so should you.Suggestions for coffee substitutes that can make you mentally sharp,people?(Yeah,I know,but I'm STILL looking!)
Andrew L.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7937 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review