All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Augie, how are things???
      #135924 - 01/06/05 11:02 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I didn't see you this evening, I hope you have been able to go. IF not, come talk to me, I will listen. I have been there, and it is a terrible place to be. I actually got so sick to my stomach and body aches and pains. I hopeyou havent gone that far. Let me know.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Augie, how are things??? new
      #135935 - 01/07/05 12:11 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yep. Goes for me too. I suffer from a lot of d now but as a kid it was always c, sometimes so bad I'd get a fever and vomiting with it. I hope you're feeling okay. Let us know. I worry about you. We seem to be the two people on here who just stay bad or get worse all the time and nothing seems to be able to fix us!

--------------------
Amy

Yes , DoubleTrouble, new
      #136304 - 01/08/05 10:12 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

we seem to be the lucky ones who don't seem to be able to take or eat or do anything to alleviate our symptoms. It is hard not to get jelous of others who are stable or heading that way. I just wonder what I am doing wrong! I try so hard to do this the right way, trying all the things the others who are stable have tried, but I think I am just doomed to exist with this pain and symptoms forever I am feeling very discouraged, frustrated, and hopeless. And to be honest, sometimes when I read the boards I just get more confused because different information on the same topic is so different. Some posts say one thing about a particular food or supplement, and then another few will give the opposite advice. This is causing more stress than help for me right now. I don't know which way to turn. I am stressed to the max at all the different advice and thought maybe I should just go away from it all for a while.

I know everyone means well and is honestly just reporting what they have found helpful for themselves. I know everyone tells me we are all different. But for those of us who can't figure out our trigger foods, or don't know if a food is okay for us because we are always having problems, it is disheartening and frustrating to read such varying advice.

Different SFS's, fennel is bad, fennel is good, fruits are good, no fuits cause attacks, white rice is good or brown rice is better for C, bananas cause problems, no wait, bananas are safe daily stable, calcium carbonate is less gassy, no citrate is easier on Gi symstom, etc...

And as I said, and it is humiliating to admit, I do get jeoulous of those who are doing so well when I don't seem to be able to get a handle on my own symptoms. I mean I'm reading the same books, so why doesn't this work for me? I am happy others are overcoming this hiddeous IBS, but I want to be part of that group!

Plus, I thought I'd give everyone a break from me by going away for a while!

Thanks for checking up on me. I've just been really down on this whole diet. I am crying right now. I just try so hard to do this right, guys. I try so hard! I read and research every day, and still am so symptomatic. I'm just tired.

And before anyone suggest a psychiatrist, I have found one but am also having problems finding an antidepressant I can tolerate. I also have osteoporisis and don't know if I can tolerate the actonel, and the calcium I don't know which is best to take. Plus I am GF on top of it all and finding it hard to adapt that diet to this one. Someone suggested the white rice GF bread I eat everyday may be causing the C, but I can't find a safe brown rice bread! I am just plain overwhelmed and still sick.

Well, that's about all you guys can handle hearing. Sorry to go off like that. just feeling alone and scared, and of course sick. My whole life is consumed with trying to figure out what my solutions are.

DoubleTrouble, how are you doing? Have you found an SFS or any diet to help you?

Gigi, thanks for worrying about me. I'm worried about me. I am just ready to give up.

BTW, is the calcium carbonate better for you? Have you found an SFS for yourself?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Augie new
      #136309 - 01/08/05 10:24 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Augie,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am you are still suffering.

Love,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, me too-nt new
      #136317 - 01/08/05 10:49 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie new
      #136321 - 01/08/05 11:14 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there, I am sorry if I contributed to your confusion...I really think you should stop taking most of the supplements you are taking and start again at square one: I think most people here would agree with that advise...most of us achieve stability by chronicling everything that we eat and feel and seeing how it works . Here are two recipes: I have plenty more also if you want.

APPLE CRISP
4 cups tart apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup sugar
¼ cup canola oil /applesauce
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Peel, core and slice the apples into a bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Blend the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Spread the apples in a bake pan, and cover with the blended ingredients. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden.

BROWN RICE MUFFINS
2 cups brown rice flour (freshly ground is best)
3 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free, such as Rumford brand)
2 tablespoons Sucanat, maple syrup, or other natural sweetener - no artificial sweeteners!
3 egg whites
1 cup milk
¼ cup melted butter

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate, small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, melted butter, and liquid sweetener if used. Mix well and pour the batter into oiled or buttered muffin tins. Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes. Makes 12.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: No SFS for me.. new
      #136323 - 01/08/05 11:20 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I quit trying the sfs, I have tried just about everything out there, and I also got so sick of it that I just quit it. Now, I do find myself more C, but, the sfs, all of it, gives me gas. Tired of the gas too.

I know you are discouraged, depressed,and just sick of it all. I had a wave of that feeling wash over me last night, I can't let myself go there, I had a breakdown once, and I just cannot loose one more little bit of myself. So, I try my best like every one else. What I am saying and sorry to gt off track, dont you ever give up, there are so many people here who care for you and want to help.

I am wondering if you could stand to give up the bread? What could it hurt, I've done it, I actually try to eat very little bread unless I have to stabilize my gut. I don't know honey, I hope you can find an anti-dep, that you can tolerate. I am taking Lexapro right now, I hated it the first couple of months, but now I am hanging on, so I guess it is working.
I know you are so confused, thats why I hate to give you anymore advice, just love. I pray you start to feel better soon! gayla

Gayla new
      #136332 - 01/08/05 11:47 AM
Augie

Your love and prayers are probably the best "medicine" I can have right now!

I can't believe you even had a breakdown and that last night was also a bit difficult for you. Yes, I tend to lose myself to this IBS--it steals your life away and that is not an exageration! I hate this hiddeous IBS! It hurts people mentally and physically. IBS is EVIL!

I will try not to give up. Just some days it's so hard. I am in a teary mood today. Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. But good tears. Thank you for your love and for caring. I'll say it again, this board has just incredibly compassionate and wonderful people on it.

If you've given up your bread, what do you use as a soluble base for your meals?

Incidently, lexapro is the current med my psych has me trying because my anxiety is so sky high! Have you found it to make you any more C? I was on it for a month but stopped because I thought it was the cause of the C? I was trying to find any culprit! Have yet to decide whether to try it agains or try prozac, his second option for me. How many mg of lexapro are you on?

Did you ever find a calcium supplement you could tolerate?

I'll try and keep posting, so check in periodicly okay? And I think hanging out in the Living Room makes me feel better too. Just to get to know my peers better and read and talk about less intense issues and less confusion!
All my love to you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Hey Dalia- questions on recipes new
      #136336 - 01/08/05 11:56 AM
Augie

Thanks for the recipes! That was so nice of you to go to the trouble.

Everything confuses me at this point, so please just keep being honest in what you truly believe can be helpful! As long as you don't mind me keep asking for clarifications and explanations. I'll start now, what are considered "tart apples"? What is succanant? And is it either oil or applesauce or 1/4 cup of each? Rice milk replaces regular milk in muffin mix right? What kind of "butter" do you use? Hope you see this soon as I am anxious to make these this weekend.

And yes I would love some more recipes! You can even send them to my email address in my profile as to not block up the boards with them. I noticed you didn't have one posted, as I was trying to reach you! So,I just kept bumping my post to you!

Thanks for caring and for giving so much of yourself to my posts.

Love to you, Dalia

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (01/08/05 01:10 PM)

Re: Hey Dalia- questions on recipes new
      #136379 - 01/08/05 03:46 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey sweetie!
left you my email in the other post...answers:
tart apples are cooking apples....not sure what people in the us call them...but normal apples are ok too..don't worry.
use sugar in the place of succanat (sorry).
you can use either oil, or applesauce, or a mixture of both (like I am pretty tolerant of fats, so I would use oil, but others aren't so I am not sure whats good for you)
Rice milk replaces normal milk for sure!
I use a vegan soy butter in my baking from the health food shop.
I will search some more recipes for you and send them to your email asap!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review