All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I hate drinking tea!
      #135879 - 01/06/05 05:58 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Alright, I've tried, on two or three occasions, to worry down a cup full of peppermint, sleepy time, tension free, fennel, earl gray, orange peoke...I've tried every kind of tea we own, and I hate them all! They just taste so...blah!

I know I could take the peppermint capulets that Heather sells, but to be honest, I can't afford them! I haven't been able to find any elsewhere, either (not that I could afford those anyway...).

I've used normal sugar, brown sugar, honey, lemon, molasses, heck, I ever used corn syrup to try and make it taste better, and I STILL hate it!

Does anybody have any tips, ideas suggestions...?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I hate drinking tea! new
      #135882 - 01/06/05 06:09 PM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

I would be interested to hear any comments on this too. I am just like you...I HATE TEA! I have tried everything as well and I just can't find it the least bit apealing. However, I get incredibly sick of water! Any comments would be great!!

~Amanda

#135884 - 01/06/05 06:14 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Think of it with these two things in mind:
1. Retraining your taste. Especially if you're accustomed to soda or other sweet beverages (which many people are) herbal teas will taste quite bland, or worse, like twigs & gravel. It will take some time to retrain your taste buds and your expectations to appreciate the more subtle flavor.
2. OK, I'll be honest- Chamomile tea is never gonna be as good tasting as a Coke, but if you can't get to the point of being able to actively enjoy it, think of it in terms of its medicinal value, and choke it down cause it's good for you. And there's much to be appreciated and enjoyed in that.
The more meditative among us would think of some little gatha to say (that's a Buddhist term for a short verse that you recite or think during a certain activity to keep yourself mindful) something about your gratitude for this gift of the earth that helps keep your body healthy.
Hope that's helpful.

#135888 - 01/06/05 06:24 PM
Ravenndark

I do drink a lot of sweet beverages, and yeah, it DOES taste like twigs and gravel!

I'll try to stick with water for a while, to get all the sugar out of my taste buds!

#135890 - 01/06/05 06:39 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I definitely can relate with that one. I can't stand tea. I have tried and tried to force myself to acquire a taste for it and it just isn't happening.
I don't really have any suggestions except maybe try sucking on peppermint Altoids when you are feeling "on the edge."

--------------------
Natalie

#135897 - 01/06/05 07:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was never a tea drinker, either... when I had to give up my coffee and soda, I found it almost an insult to my taste buds to have to get used to drinking herbal teas.

But I did get used to it. That's kind of the best advice I have... keep drinking the stuff, you'll get used to it eventually. For me, it was realizing that my only other alternative was water - blech - I learned to like tea quick enough then!

My favorite so far - and what actually got me started *enjoying* tea - is redbush, or rooibus, tea. I brew it up moderately strong, with a teaspoon of sugar and a generous splash of vanilla rice milk. It isn't bad at all. Even better yet, if you can find it, is Yogi Tea brand Redbush Chai. Drink that with more sugar and more rice milk, and it's really good.

I still can't drink peppermint, ginger, fennel, or chamomile teas. I force down peppermint with lots of sugar when I'm having an attack, but the others I just can't do. Sometimes you just have to find teas you like, and leave the others for when you *really* need them.

Good luck!

#135903 - 01/06/05 07:28 PM
Ravenndark

I don't eat altoids because they have geletin, and I'm vegan :P

#136038 - 01/07/05 09:25 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

This may sound uber-snotty and consumer-ish, but try to find a really GOOD brand of tea. Celestial Seasonings is a good (and inexpensive) brand, but if you want to go a little pricier, try Stash or Choice Teas, or Gypsy Teas. Usually a cheap knock-off tea will taste icky, while a good brand will be a whole lot better. I like Stash the best, but found that Trader Joes even makes a fantastic peppermint tea (cheap!) that tastes a whole lot better than other brands I've tried. And Stash makes an amazing Ginger-Lemon tea that soothes the worst stomachs! Good luck!

#136040 - 01/07/05 09:35 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I agree, some brands really taste dry and faded, it is usually worth buying the best you can find. The peppermint tea that Heather sells is very good - the flavour is stronger but also much fresher than any of the shop brands I've tried.

Josephine

Im exactly the same!!
      #136044 - 01/07/05 09:46 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey I hate the teas too, cant stand any of them...I actually had the worst ibs-d attack of my life after drinking peppermint tea and having had it happen a couple of times since when having something pepperminty, then I think I am allergic. The fennel seemed to make me feel better at the time, then make me bloated and gassy then next day I drink cranberry cordial (no artificial colours, preservatives or sweeteners) and have it hot when I want a hot type juice drink...Ive now developed a fear of HERBAL teas!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3006 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review