All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
panic attacks
      #13583 - 07/09/03 06:43 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Okay, I know this is not about eating, but I'm looking for some suggestions. I began having panic attacks connected to ibs flare ups this year. Has anyone else experienced this, and what have you tried that helped?
Thanks, Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: panic attacks new
      #13587 - 07/09/03 07:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am also very prone to panick attacks. My doctor has me on anti depressants and they do help. I didn't like the idea at first but it does make a big difference. Certain ones are better if you are C or D so be sure to tell your doctor.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#13593 - 07/09/03 07:50 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

About 3 years ago following some surgery, I started having horrible panic attacks. My doctor put me on Zoloft, one of the newer antidepressants, and it helped a lot. It does take a while for it to kick in (maybe a month or two) and for you to get the correct dosage figured out. The doc could give you something temporary to use until the medicine starts working. Just a suggestion.

#13607 - 07/09/03 09:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree. Time to see your doc. It may be triggered by the IBS, but there are usually other underlying factors when you're dealing with panic attacks. In the meantime, try breathing slowly and deeply, try to focus on something calming, and reassure yourself.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#13610 - 07/09/03 09:47 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I, too, have panic attacks (although I hate to admit it). I worry about EVERYTHING and my mind is constantly thinking ahead and asking "What if?" instead of enjoying the moment. I try not to let on that I have the panic attacks and have never actually called it that while trying to explain my worry to anyone...but I know that is what it is. I have other people in my family who suffer from them, too...but won't admit to it. I wish I could stop them without being on medication. Right now I am not taking anything...but, I was on Zoloft for a while for Depression and it helped but I don't want to go back on it....want to stay medication free.

Here's an example of one of my worries right now....
My mom bought tickets to an event yesterday for myself, my brother, my mom and her friend. She asked if my husband would want to go and I told her probably not, but if he did I'd get him a ticket. Well he said that he didn't really want to go ( I want him to go) but, if I could get a ticket so that we could sit together he would go. So needless to say by the time I got his ticket this morning, the only way I could do it was to trade mine in and get two together in the same row but down a few seats from where my mom and everyone will be sitting. We won't be sitting with them. I know my mom is going to go on and on about how she wishes we could sit together. It drives me nuts.

Anyway....sorry this is so long.

thanks for listening

#13631 - 07/09/03 10:53 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Forgot to tell you that the first couple of days I took the Zoloft that I had diarrhea. The doctor said that was normal and was my body's way of getting adjusted to it. Sure enough, in several days, it went away. It is not a long term thing. Just thought I would share this so if you tried it, you wouldn't panic about the D.

#13668 - 07/09/03 07:30 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate everyone's input and honesty. Now that I'm feeling better since I started the ibs diet a month ago, I've been panic free as well. But I know it's not gone and that the panic could resurface if I begin to get ill a lot again. I may talk to a psych. for something. I'd rather not be on any medication daily if I can handle it. Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#13672 - 07/09/03 08:03 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I too suffered from panic attacks following a bad car accident last spring. Some of the attacks were diagnosed as a phobia. Anyway, I did not take any medications for this, but went to and am finishing up with biofeedback. It is hard to explain, but you learn to respond more calmly to things (in a nutshell). It also helps with migraines and IBS. I now have my panic attacks under complete control!! See if you have a clinic near you. It is the greatest thing and drug free!
Leah

#13674 - 07/09/03 08:48 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I understand you wanting to get by without drugs if possible. I felt the same way which is why I came off of the AD I was taking even though it helped me greatly.

Two things that have really helped me with anxiety are yoga and the IBS Audio Program. Daily practice of yoga is so calming. Just make sure you are involved on all 3 levels (mind, body and spirit) as some yoga tapes are about the postures only and it is much more than that. The breath work is really important.

Lots of people have found the IBS audio program helpful too. Have a look on the Hypno board.

Good Luck,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13689 - 07/10/03 01:10 AM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

hi - I have been experiencing panick attacks since i had my daughter nearly 4 years ago now. To start with i wasntgong out to the shop let alone doing anything else lol.
I have ibs now for about a year and i must admit when my stomach plays up are the only times i get PA's now! I use somethign in the uk called bach's flower remidys - im now sure if u can get it over there but its a herbal relaxer and u just put 3/4 drops on your tongue and it seems to amazingly work for me - i also suck on a boiled sweet or mint if i can feel myself getting worked up. I saw a councilor for 3 weeks once a week when i first was diagnosed with panick attacks and to be hoenst she didnt really help the only useful information that i found handy was to carry a bottle of water and a couple of boiled sweets with youincase u feel one coming on!
I have also found not to let yourself get too hungry because that seems to set them off too - im not sure how i did have it explained to me but if u start becoming a bit hungry have some rice cakes or something - it does work.
Like i have said i have been doing panick attacks for a long time so if you need anymore help jsut ask - i do everything now and they dont stop me - they not nice but they go within about ten minutes normally - the key is not to let them rule you - like ibs you control it!!!! good luck

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2040 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review