All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and pregnancy - feedback??
      #135696 - 01/06/05 10:31 AM
Bre

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA

For all of you women who have been pregnant with IBS before...I'm curious...

My husband and I will probably begin "trying" sometime this year for our first. I'm really excited to have a child, but TERRIFIED to be pregnant b/c of all the stomach issues I already have! I have IBS-D as well as acid reflux. Can anyone tell me how pregnancy affected you, and how best to deal with it? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and pregnancy - feedback?? new
      #135792 - 01/06/05 01:34 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

My IBS reared it's ugly head after the birth of my first daughter. And I wanted another child but was afraid like you to get pregnant b/c I am IBS-D and I was afraid it would worsen. However, I am happy to report that my IBS disappeared completely during my second pregnancy. I ate anything and everything I wanted and as much of it as I could stuff in my mouth. I gained 80 lbs. I ate so much. But there is a down side the reflux worsened and I ate Tums like they were going out of production. But it was worth it to be able to eat anything I wanted.

Unfortunately as soon as the baby came out and I mean as soon (like an hour later) the IBS was back full force.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#135868 - 01/06/05 05:24 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

aside from morning sickness in the first trimester, my stomach problems disappeared during pregnancy. I was even able to drink milk with no problem. I think that is fairly common. Your digestive tract slows way down, so constipation can be a problem, but the spasms tend to relax.
Good luck!

#135887 - 01/06/05 06:20 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi Both my sister and I were IBS free while pregnant . Me two times, her once. It was a wonderful 9mths! I too could eat just about anything. I didn't have too much trouble with constipation that I can remember and if I did, hey being constipated once in a while isn't all that bad when you have D all the time! Good luck with your baby making and don't worry about IBS. There are a lot of threads about us who were IBS free while pregnant!

P.S. where in Phila are you at? I grew up in Roxborough and still have relatives there. I now live about 20 miles from Allentown.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#135900 - 01/06/05 07:16 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Bre, I've been through 2 pregnancies with IBS. The first my IBS got really bad for the first 3 months (I'm an A but tend to get more d than anything else) and I had bad d almost every day. Then all of a sudden it got better and I had virtually no symptoms for the rest of the pregnancy (bar a bit of c at the very end). 3 days after the birth I started having really bad d again and it lasted for 8 weeks straight. When I had the girls I only had d for the first couple of weeks then was normal again but got a lot of tummy/gas pain. I got the d afterward again on day 3 but had some homeopathic d stop which was wonderful so it only lasted about a day. That being said I have a sister in law who has IBS and she just had a bub and she's had no probs that I know of since having her bubby. I think that everyone's body is different and so is every pregnancy. I also have a lot of trouble with hormones. Every month I get really sick for at least a week, then again when I ovulate and I can't take the pill as the hormone makes me "go" so it was probably hormone related that made me so ill. Hope this helps (and hope I didn't scare you).

--------------------
Amy

#135962 - 01/07/05 05:46 AM
Bre

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA

We live in the Collegeville/Trappe area - my husband drives out towards Allentown a lot for work though...

Thanks for the feedback and pregnancy - sounds like it may not be as bad as I'm anticipating!

Interesting... new
      #135973 - 01/07/05 06:42 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just reading all your posts and it's amazing how many people were symptom free during pregnancy. I wonder if they could use that to study the different hormones in our bodies while we're pregnant and find out what exactly is making our symptoms go away....maybe they could develope a new drug for us??

Just speculating....

Re: Kimm and everyone new
      #136211 - 01/07/05 05:48 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think it's mroe a biological/physical thing. The baby puts pressure on the GI system thus compressing it and slowing it down. That lessens the IBS symptoms and helps with digestion. If anything, people may tend to get constipated while pregnant because of the slow down.

Interesting though though, that the hormones may play a role. Would be interesting to know the answer to that question.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

From what my doctor told me..... new
      #136232 - 01/07/05 08:06 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

It's because between the start of the 2nd trimester and birth our hormones level out and don't go up or down so the hormonal d or c that we normally suffer is no longer active. Then when we have the bub our hormones increase a lot and then go back to swinging all over the place every month depending on when we get our period and ovulation etc and we're back to all our usual probs. Hope this makes some sense. I think hormones are a big part of the prob for me and wish I could do anything to be rid of them!

--------------------
Amy

Re: Wow, that's really neat! -nt- new
      #136403 - 01/08/05 06:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1662

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review