All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety?
      #135514 - 01/05/05 07:22 PM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you have anxiety about leaving home because of IBS? Also, what do you do about it? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety? new
      #135531 - 01/05/05 08:10 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! If you don't mind me asking are you a d, a or c? It makes a lot of difference as to what you can do. I'm an A but suffer from long bouts of D and not much C so if I'm in a bad patch I take buscopan (an antispasmodic) 20 minutes before I leave the house as well as some immodium advance so I don't need the loo while I'm out. I also take them with me so if I'm out for a while I can take more when they're due to be taken again. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

#135532 - 01/05/05 08:12 PM

Unregistered

I think part of the anxiety comes from feeling like you won't be prepared. So I always familiarize myself with where bathrooms are when I go places. I always carry a small bottle of water in my purse because that's one of those things I need if I'm feeling sick. I also carry a little baggie full of all the pills I could need just in case AND a tin of peppermint altoids because those are just lifesavers for not feeling good! I feel a bit loony about feeling like I have to have all this all the time, but otherwise I get such anxiety if I am missing one of these components and then it's just bad news. I also like to make sure that I'm not going to be trapped somewhere and get too hot because that does not ever help me feel better if I'm not feeling well - so I make sure I can de-layer appropriately if necessary.

It is very hard to deal with the anxiety of leaving the house I think. Sometimes I feel like I'm so antisocial because I hate leaving the comfort of home, but you can't miss out on life! And sometimes I think I end up feeling better getting out instead of sitting at home and making myself think I don't feel good.

And welcome again by the way! Hope this helps a little. How have you been dealing with your IBS since you're so young and have had it for so many years already?

#135542 - 01/05/05 11:20 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Yes I definitely feel that way a lot!! I agree with Brittany, sometimes it just feels so much easier to stay home alone but other times it's a lot better than you think once you're actually out. I have definitely become a lot more antisocial since I began having IBS symptoms. This becomes especially hard when going out involves either eating out or alcohol, which has come up a lot on the boards recently because of the holidays. If I have to be gone a long time, I also pack supplies like snacks, crystallized ginger, and sometimes tea bags. I have struggled with this problem a lot recently, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of good strategies to deal with it You could try talking to a therapist; that has helped me somewhat. If anyone else has insight into this problem, please speak up!

--------------------
~Angela

#135561 - 01/06/05 03:58 AM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

I have A too, mostly it's pain and bloating I get C symptoms when I'm having a really bad attack.

Brittany- I think you're totally right about the whole not being prepared thing. Do you swollow the altoids whole or just suck on them? I'm also not on any meds, I tried a few but they didn't seem to help me much, do you have any recomendations?

#135652 - 01/06/05 09:17 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

How about the hypno program? It definitely reduced my anxiety about going out - just finished it last month. Now, I may not *want* to go out, but I don't bring an attack on myself sheerly out of anxiety.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1091

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review