All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dealing with severe IBS??
      #135470 - 01/05/05 04:33 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am new to this board even though not new with IBS. I probably have had this around 3 years and it seems to be getting worse. I have taken myself off all drugs from the doctor and stopped all fiber (benefiber) supplements. I am now referring to Heather's recipes and began exercising around 15 minutes each day. I drink numerous cups of hot peppermint tea each day. I am looking for secrets on getting rid of severe gas/cramping pains and always feeling like you have to "go" but cannot.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dealing with severe IBS?? new
      #135483 - 01/05/05 04:54 PM
Adriane

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

Hi. I am new to this site too and just wanted to say hello. You sound a lot like me, hopefully we can get a good education from our new friends here. I don't have much advice yet but hopefully soon. I was starting to feel like the only person in the world with bad gas/cramping; none of my co-workers or friends know how to respond. Just wanted to wish you luck in finding help. Hope I do too!

#135496 - 01/05/05 05:31 PM

It is too bad you live in Hawaii and I live in Illinois (near Chicago). What are you doing to help relieve your discomfort???

#135498 - 01/05/05 05:52 PM
pattidawn

Loc: New Galilee, Pa.

Hi, I'm new too, just joined today. last 3 days have been pretty rough although today is some improvement. I think Kilbasa was the trigger (high fat) but I knew very little about IBS only that I had it and just dealt with it. Besides severe colon spasms lately, my most troublesom problem is severe gastric distention. Even the upper(stomach part) looks like I swallowed a fist, hard and tightly distended. If I eat the wrong thing can't wear the same pants 20 min later. Anybody have any suggestions for releiving that terrible bloat without medication? And what causes the severe bloat anyway?

#135500 - 01/05/05 05:55 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hi! Sorry you sound so desperate...I hope the diet will help you get relief soon. I just wanted to mention that I think the fennel tea is better for cramping and gas than peppermint, at least for me that's the case. I really like Traditional Medicinals Eater's Digest tea (has ginger, fennel and peppermint and works wonders for me!), I think you can find it at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or other health food stores. Good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

9804 new
      #135508 - 01/05/05 06:49 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I live near Chicago too! How you like this 12 inches of snow? I live in southwest suburbs.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#135559 - 01/06/05 03:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SFSs are very helpful...it could just be that benefiber isn't the one for you. I REALLY recommend SFSs, especially for the incomplete emptying.

Fennel is best for gas...peppermint is best for cramps.

Good luck!

Re: 9804 new
      #135669 - 01/06/05 09:45 AM

I live in the northwest suburbs and snow is pretty bad here!

Re: 9804 new
      #135677 - 01/06/05 10:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I used to live in Park Ridge and Des Plaines!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#135678 - 01/06/05 10:10 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Actually a SFS should help w/ your symptoms. Why did you stop your SFS if you don't mind my asking? Also Heather's diet has been a lifesaver for me since I didn't know what I wasn't supposed to be eating and what I was. For the most part I am stable now since Heather's diet and a SFS. I do take medications to treat cramping and such but only have to take them occassionally now. What meds did the docs have you on?

I hope you feel better soon,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#135704 - 01/06/05 10:48 AM
Bre

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA

So I finally found someone with my problem, too..the distention. My stomach feels so hard and HUGE sometimes (like now, for instance). It usually lasts 1-2 weeks actually - until I get things back to "stable." The funny thing is I'm not having attacks while this happens, just the bloating. Anyone have any thoughts on how to relieve this and get back to my normal size?

#135834 - 01/06/05 03:39 PM

This may sound crazy but what is an SFS????

SFS = Soluble Fiber Supplement -nt- new
      #135835 - 01/06/05 03:42 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#141023 - 01/22/05 12:02 PM

I am taking miralax once a day in the evening and I am on effexor (an anti-depressant) which my doctor says is supposed to help relax my "insides" - not sure if this is working and I take librax 2x before each meal (I do not feel this is helping and I am cutting it down to 1 because it makes my mouth dry).

My only real problem (besides being mostly IBS-C) is the horrible gas constantly. In the morning when I get up it is really bad - any good suggestions???????

#141053 - 01/22/05 12:21 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hi Patti,
Maybe I'm a little late on the reply, I don't get on the website as often as I'd like. I have the exact same problem. I am only 5-3 and petite which makes me look pretty funny with such a distended belly. I alternate between IBS-c and d. This problem usually occurs for me when I am on the C part of this. This is usually accompanied by a sharp pain on the left colon. I have another IBS book that actually has a picture of what happens. The picture shows the descending colon in a tight spasm which does not allow much to pass thus backing everything up. That is exactly how is feels for me. Non medicinal relief for me is usually a warm compress to my belly, massaging my belly or some type of exercise like running. When I get really desperate(I can admit this now because everyone is so honest here) is to resort to any enema. It is a really embarrassing problem I know. I think the heat works the best for the pain though. Hope this helps. Kate

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review