All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Hey again my friend new
      #136376 - 01/08/05 03:41 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

please feel free to email me: dalia_yael@hotmail.com
I have to run out to meet other ibsers in NYC (go to living room to see...so excited!!!)...but will answer later tonight or tomorrow evening!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dalia soup question new
      #136428 - 01/08/05 08:47 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey...I got your email and will reply very soon! I put butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, and any other roots I find into the soup...cook it till soft...add salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste...its really yummy and soothing...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Need help from IBS-C folks-desparate new
      #136438 - 01/08/05 09:02 PM
shooz622

Reged: 01/08/05

Hello I am new to all of this. I have been under alot of stress as of late. Today after having lunch out with my daughter, while driving in a snow storm I just had an attack. Sounds terrribly embarrassing but I did lose control of my bowel in my clothing. Then proceeded to a rest. to use the bathroom. WHile my daughter waited in the car. It is terribly humiliating. I am reading all of this and taking it in. I have absolutely no control at times it will just come out of me. Does anyone else share this unpleasant problem. Looking forward to hearing from anyone. thank you shooz622 [i][/i] [color:red] [/color]

#136678 - 01/09/05 09:37 PM
iceprincess

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: West Texas

I am under alot of stress myself right now. I have been trying to do things to relieve my stress like doing some organizing in my spare bedroom, reading, going to my favorite places to get out of the house.
Stress can play a big part in IBS. Sometimes a doctor will prescribe an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drug to help you get through the difficult time. Also, watching you caffeine intake will help. I haven't given up my coffee, so I use Maxwell House 1/2 and 1/2 which has 1/2 the caffeine. It really makes the difference in my stomach by just cutting the caffeine in half. Maybe these tips will help.

Iceprincess new
      #136921 - 01/10/05 01:24 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I do think my stress is a huge contributor to my increasing worse symptoms and I am currently taking an anti-anxiety drug and trying to take an ant-depressant, but having GI side effects that may be worsening the IBS. I am working with a psych to try and get on one that works for me instead of against me.

I do not drink any caffeine, and do follow Heather's diet to a T and never cheat.

I hope you are able to give up coffee altogether as even decaf is horrible for IBS. Do a search on coffee and read what people have said. This came up just a few days ago. And I'll repeat, decaf is just as bad as regular. As hard as it is, you should give it up. Sorry.
Thanks for trying to help me! Nothing helps, and I am doing everything I can think of to get better That is why it is so frustrating!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Iceprincess new
      #136971 - 01/10/05 02:44 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Here's something that my counselor shared today. It may help. She said that when you are experiencing this pain, that learning to breathe correctly, and then not fleeing the pain, but embrace it, and suddenly you will be on the other side of it. Do the yoga exercises that Heather shares, they help. After this next attack, open a notepad, and write down that this is the first day of your journey to controll over the ibs. Tell your Dr.s that you can only handle two, three of the necessary meds to treat this, and the rest will be the natural and ready available stuff in the ibs diet. The answer is really within us, we just need to remember the path when the attacks come. Some teach that we should flee what gives us fear or attacks us, but this illness is going to be with us the rest of our lives. We have to befriend it and teach our bodies how to survive with it. If we are angry and fearful, who is it that we are taking it out on, ourselves.... I am starting my journal too...I hope in a year, to be celebrating the success of managing this illness and rewarding myself for having come to know myself in a new way. You can do it. I sure as heck hope I can.

Re: Shooz622 new
      #137028 - 01/10/05 05:24 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hello Shooz and welcome to the boards! What a terrible experience that must have been for you! I do not often have D these days but I did have a couple of episodes of incontinence in the past. It was very frightening but it made me realise I couldn't go on ignoring my IBS problem, so I looked for help and eventually found this board, which has helped me quite a lot.

I hope you try some of the suggestions Heather makes on the main website about diet, SFS and ways of dealing with stress. Ask any questions you need to, this is a friendly board and between us we have a lot of IBS experience! Let us know how you get on.

Josephine

#137038 - 01/10/05 05:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth, sweetie, how are you feeling today, any better?

You've gotten some good suggestions. I'm D not C, but I do know what Heather and the others recommend most strongly for C.

1. LOTS of water, LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water.

2. EXERCISE!!!!! Walk around the house, walk around the office, walk around the mall. Your guts won't move unless YOU do! (We had a D thread going once about how the minute we set foot in a store we'd have to make a beeline for the bathroom. We couldn't figure out why until somebody said it must be from the walking!)

3. Work up to the full maximum dose of whatever SFS works for you. It doesn't look to me like you're taking enough yet. I'll get you the link to Heather's writeup in a sec. Here it is: SFS

4. Fruit smoothies. Don't eat the fruit, puree it and drink it, then it will help things flow rather than spasm things up!

I would also suggest re-reading Heather's write-up on C. Here's that link. Constipation Among other things, she says "Abdominal bloating from constipation can be relieved and prevented by fennel tea, the proper diet for IBS, and yoga poses specific to bloating." (Just click on the Yoga link above.)

Hope this helps, hon!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura Sue new
      #137060 - 01/10/05 07:25 PM
Augie

That was so nice of you to go to all that trouble for me! Thank you so much.

Not to keep being a downer, but I had another rough day, pain, cramps, and gas from not being able to go! I just want to be able to have a BM, is that too much to ask? Appearently so! I think when God was passing out bowels, He missed me or reached into the defective shipment!

I know I don't drink enough as I hate water and can only stand so much yucky fennel and chamomille tea!

I also don't exercise at all and have a sit down job now. This is new as I just left a job where I could walk and stand the whole time. Then my BMs were better

Can't seem to find an SFS that I can tolerate at more than 6 grams. Even at 6 grams fiber, I'm bloated and gassy. And citrucel promotes itself as being non gassy and no excess bloating. I couldn't do FiberChoice, benefiber, and Fibercon didn't do much, but that one you would need to take like 24 pills! I know you take some form of metamucil right? Maybe I should try Acacia, but I'm trying to go with no SFS to see if it helps the bloating and gas. Who knows, this SFS thing is a battle in itself--trying to find the right one for me.

Never had a smoothie yet. Do you need to take an SFS beforehand or is the rice milk the SF base? I keep forgetting! Are all fruits safe to put in them?

Thanks again for the links. I will definately check out the last one. I need to get my butt off the computer and start doing something. Walking is out as it is freezing in Chicago!

So glad you are hanging around LS. You can't leave now, right when I'm getting to know ya better!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Dalia new
      #149166 - 02/11/05 09:52 PM
Augie

Do you think it might help to take out the parsnip and the nutmeg to make it less gassy for me?

I've read that nutmeg is one of the 5 most aggravating spices for GI problems (in 3 different books) and not sure about the parsnips with gas. Thought I read they were gas producers, like turnips, even thought they are soluble root veggies.

I'm going to make more soup on Sunday, and don't know if I am blaming my current worsened gas on this new soup I've added. It is sooo yummy!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review