All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: My experience .... new
      #135253 - 01/05/05 10:12 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Just wanted to add that I was on the same dose of Zelnorm.....until it stopped working for me.... and it does stop after about 4 months. Didn't think I could stop, but I have and am managing so much better on an IBS friendly diet. As to my fruit, I have this pureed and drink in the morning (combo of juices, canned pears, bananas, papaya, canned fruit salad). So far so good. I always eat cooked veggies at lunch, and have recently started to drink a canned veggie juice in the evening. Stomach seems soooooo much better, but still trying to deal with constipation. Previously, I could not initiate a BM on my own at all, but now I have occasional ones, and hope to improve on my diet. I did recently try to reintroduce a small amount of chopped lettuce, but that did not work so well, so that is off my diet again. I have been on the diet for 2 1/2 months now, am using benefiber - 2 tbsp. At first, I was very bloated and gassy, probably because of the benefiber, but seem to be gradually doing better. Just give it some time. I have also been taking beano before my big meals.... as recommeded by some folks here!! Good luck.... recommend you forget the zelnorm, and whatever else you can.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You've received some wonderful help already.... new
      #135255 - 01/05/05 10:15 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

but I felt compelled to tell you that water is truly KEY for us C types! I had gotten lazy with my water intake, and all of the sudden, even on supplements that had me stable (acacia and calcium/magnesium for me) I began to get C again. Once I added water back...voila! Pooping again...much to my relief!

I did a six week course of Zelnorm with only initial relief. After about 2 weeks, it seemed to cause more stomach distress, and I felt better once I stopped taking it. I know the FDA warning issued on this drug in on this site if you do a search.

I am so sorry you are feeling so badly! I was an IBS-D when diagnosed 14 years ago, and have slowly turned C over the years. Man, I prefer the D to be honest! The pain and bloat of C is enough to drive you nuts! BUT the stress of worring about it only makes it worse, so try not to dwell on it!

Oh, and the herbal teas are also a tremendous help! Find one you can truly enjoy and sip on it throughout the day. It does seem to relax things! Water! Water! and feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135268 - 01/05/05 10:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thanks for your reply. Interesting about the Zelnorm as I have been on it for a little over 3 weeks now and questioning whether it is the cause of some of the cramping, and not even getting a BM from it.

I too was D for about 3 year! Chronic D, like 5 to 7 times a day, and popping immodium like candy. I hate to say it, not to offend D folks, but I miss going too! Hard to say which is worse. Both stink! And the pain and cramps come with both! I cannot believe how I went from chronic, dibilitating D to this painful, agonizing C! Bodies are so screwed up. Wish they could just reach a happy medium!

I do sip tea all day, but probably not takng in as much as I think. How much water do you drink a day?

Also, have you found an exercise that is especially helpful?
Finally, what do you think about the colace and flax seed? And do you agree that fruit is bad right now?

Sorry given you so many questions. This C has made me more demanding of others than usual! I usually don't like to bother people with my constant questions. But I'm in such bad shape, my bad feelings have outweighed my etiquette!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135276 - 01/05/05 10:58 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

If you are not in pain with spasms/gas, I would try a little blended fruit, starting maybe once a day, after oatmeal, toast or some soluble. Then gradually add cooked veggies (I take spinach mashed with pumpkin), very well cooked cabbage, etc.... always after solubles. If you are in pain, you need to just try solubles with your fish/chicken only for a few days to relieve the pain. Then restart gradually after a week or so. Best of luck.
Kim

Re: I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135288 - 01/05/05 11:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm not familiar with flaxseed personally, but have heard others here recommend it. Colace is a stool softener, right? That shouldn't be harmful.

As to excercise, walk, walk, walk! That moves gas and everything else easier than anything! And water? I drink between 50-70 oz minimum. I keep an 18oz mug on my desk and empty it twice during work hours. I take my acacia in 8 oz of water 3x day, and try to swig 6-8oz at least two other times during the evening at home. Like I said, I had laid off the water and oh boy! did it make a difference!

I really hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Confused about this new
      #135595 - 01/06/05 07:56 AM
Augie

Dialtree, when you ate brown rice bread, what brand did you buy and where. I cannot find one!

As far as my daily meal plan it is usually

2-3 cups herb tea

Breakfast: cooked Cream of Rice Cereal, cooked Quinoa, or Cooked Buckwheat/Brown Rice/corn mixture hot cereal. To cereal I usually add 3 oz cooked papaya or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries added to the water while cooking. Also add in 1/2 Tablespoon Flaxmeal

Lunch: 2 pieces white GF bread with 2 oz chicken or turkey deli meat, 1/2 cup canned pears

Snack: baked potato chips or GF corn cereal and 1/2 cup canned peaches maybe

Dinner: fish or chicken, rice noodles/potatoe/buckwheat noodles/white rice or combo white and brown rice, cooked veggie (carrots and squash combo, spinace, or green beans), 1/2 cup canned fruit if not taken with earlier snack, or white gf roll if no canned peaches

Snack: rice milk and GF roll or bread with seedless jam.

Also, hot herb tea all day and evening. And warm rice milk at night.

Okay, are you saying the fruit is okay or too much! I really thought the insoluble fruit would be good, especially since it is canned and/or cooked

*Can't find plain brown rice bread: either contains whole flax seeds (bad) or made with fruit juices (apple, grape bad).* What kind and where did you get yours?*

When you say brown rice cereal made with rice milk are you actually saying to take whole real brown rice and make it with milk instead of water? Or getting a Cream of brown Rice because I already have that. Plus, I know brown rice is difficult for many people. And for the rice with the soup are you also talking about brown rice?

I took no supplements last night or this am and nothing absolutely nothing came out this am. I am so backed up now. My doc is afraid if I go too long, I will need to get disempacted like old people do

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Confused about this new
      #136324 - 01/08/05 11:23 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey beth
sorry I didn't see your post earlier..I just responded to another post of yours..
I can't remember the name of the brand of brown rice bread that I used to eat, but I know it was sweetened with fruit juice concentrate...so you can't tolerate fruit juice concentrate?
The fruit you are eating sounds GREAT in my opinion...so I was saying its okay!!:-)
If you have a rice cereal that is entirely brown rice then I would say eat that instead of the hassle of having to make your own rice cereal with brown rice - God knows this stuff is time consuming.
Do you have access to a shop with brown rice flour?
I used to bake brown rice muffins and eat them instead of bread because I found them yummier and you can always put jam on those.
Your menu sounds good except that you should be eating ALL those vegies....throughout the day if possible and if not, maybe have an early dinner/snack when you come home of soup with brown rice stuck in, and then later on have some chicken/fish with a big portion of beans/spinach etc...so that you are maximising vegies.
I would begin to eat raw fruit, without the peel, instead of just the cooked ones...a raw apple is always good for pooing. try a mango too...
Please don't let your doctor put fear into you...its much harder to see immediate results with IBS C...how often were you pooing with all those supplements? what did your poo look like?
Concentrate not on your fear (as hard as that is) and getting impacted like an old person (!), focus on exercising a good amount (are you a member of a gym? do you enjoy running? swimming? you MUST exercise), drinking lots of fluid and eating what we talked about. Please totally avoid for now the white bread and rice noodles, even if they are 'brown rice noodles' try for now to eat brown rice itself instead...try and bake brown rice muffins...I can find you loads more recipes if you want..I posted you two up on your other post...
please continue to be in touch about this...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Hey again my friend new
      #136344 - 01/08/05 12:24 PM
Augie

Yes, my cereal is Lundberg pure brown rice organic cereal. Is it okay to still eat the other two I listed?

Is the flaxseed meal okay to keep?

Yes I already have brown rice flour in my fridge, but had questions on your recipe in other post.

If I do increase the veggies as you suggested, do I decrease all the fruit I am eating (like three a day)? Is that too many fruits? And raw fruit, yikes that's scary!

Finally, did the bread you used to eat come in a pink wrapper? I think it was Food for Life? My problem is I don't know if the fruit juices are a trigger for me or if I am afraid of them because of what I read in Heathers book about pear, apple and grape juices being the worst of the fruit juice triggers. I guess it's the fructose.

Do you have an email address you would'nt mind sharing? I just feel guilty taking up the board with my questions. If you don't you can always email me your responses (see my profile for adddress)!

Ps I never exercise. This should be one of my goals.

--------------------
~ Beth

Dalia soup question new
      #136347 - 01/08/05 12:34 PM
Augie

How do you make the soup? Do you just buy ready made chicken broth and add the veggies or what? What else do you put in it?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey again my friend new
      #136350 - 01/08/05 01:20 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Hello, and so sorry you are having a difficult time finding the right cycle for you. Me too. I read the Dr. has you on the lexapro. Because I have now developed depression, they wish to do the same, I have it now, but am trying to decide if I should add it to the schedule that the Dr.s have started. How have you done with it?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3972 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review