All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Need help from IBS-C folks-desparate new
      #135192 - 01/05/05 08:02 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

Good advice! I am doing that too, taking my peppermint tablets with water before I even get out of bed, and then I have my peppermint tea with my oatmeal for breakfast. Helps a LOT!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Please any else have some input?-Michele, Rachel, anyone new
      #135193 - 01/05/05 08:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I need opinions on all the supplements and meds I am taking. Please advise!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Peppermint bothers me-nt new
      #135194 - 01/05/05 08:04 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: colace new
      #135195 - 01/05/05 08:05 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

I was taking 3 a day, but I think they may have been causing me too much gas, since they contain inulin. They were helping with the constipation, no doubt, but in turn they can cause severe gas for some people. That's why I stopped taking them and am now getting all my solubles from food. I am hoping this will stop the gas and tummy pain I get from trapped gas.... It's such a trial and error thing for most of us. What works for one could be totally wrong for someone else, even though they suffer the c type of IBS.

--------------------

Re: Peppermint bothers me-nt new
      #135196 - 01/05/05 08:07 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

well...there are plenty of other herbs that do the trick...I think even more important then the herb is something WARM in the gut (oatmeal always makes me poo much more easily then a cold oat cereal for example)...do you like chamomile? thats great and very relaxing. The Yogi tea company do a FANTASTIC tummy tea...yummy...and ginger tea is fantastic and really good for the poor old belly...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: fruits new
      #135197 - 01/05/05 08:09 AM
daliatree

I can't take more then three pieces a day and thats pushing it and depends on the fruit - I mainly eat nectarines and apples without the peel, bananas (pretty constipating though I find), mangos...pear puree although this week I am going to try a raw pear without the peel...I would concentrate much more on vegies...

--------------------

That's all I have is 3 fruits a day and new
      #135198 - 01/05/05 08:10 AM
Augie

thought that was safe? I am so confused!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: That's all I have is 3 fruits a day and new
      #135204 - 01/05/05 08:29 AM
daliatree

Oh I'm sorry, I don't mean to confuse you. I would see that three pieces a day is your ultimate goal...but while your tummy is feeling so very delicate, I would carefully select WHICH fruits you are having and put vegies first for now...like, for example, if you were going to eat four pieces of fruits or vegies a day, for IBS C, I would make that three pieces of vegies and one of fruit a day, as opposed to the other way round. Did that make any sense? When my tummy was VERY bad I hardly had any fruit...just a bit of applesauce and a banana (but that was more with D)...for C, I would eat a raw apple without the skin and no bananas really...but the point is to be careful with the fruit...

--------------------

Thanks sweetie! new
      #135212 - 01/05/05 08:46 AM
Augie

Hope you don't mind if I continue to "lean on you" even on a daily basis if needed. You are such a blessing to me. Your gonna make an awesome dietician!

I must admit though, that stopping all supplements cold turkey scares me since I'm not going at all now!

Fruits are just so much easier as they are portable for lunch. Canned peaches and pears are easier to tote around than cooked spinach and squash!

It will be hard to pick which fruit to keep. Right now I changed from papaya in am cereal to 1/2 cup of blueberries (for insoluble), 1/2 cup canned pears with lunch (white gluten free bread) and 1/2 cup canned peaches after dinner. Then one cooked veggie with dinner also.

This thread is getting long, and I'm still confused about the supplement question which is why I originally started the thread. It has somehow gotten sidetracked to food!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks sweetie! new
      #135224 - 01/05/05 09:11 AM
daliatree

arrrggghhh I just replied to you here and lost the reply!!! that has never happened here before!! thanks so much for the compliment and of course you can lean on me!
your fruit intake sounds good...not too much...just you must eat much more vegies. a few pointers: can you heat up the milk on your cereal? sorry if that sounds grose but the warmth really helps. is there a microwave at work to heat up soup and rice and vegies? have you tried the brown rice bread?
the reason this post has come down to food is because food IS your medicine here, the supplements are just side dishes! I am not accusing or anything, but I do think you rely too heavily on these supplements and you are taking to many. I think you need to return to a clean slate and eat a pure light IBS C friendly diet and move from there. If you still want to try these supplements then once your diet is clearer you can reintroduce them one by one, over time, documenting each change...but to have them all at once is not good. Do you think that you psychologically feel as if you are doing something to help yourself if you are taking medicine in the form of pills? because its not working evidently...so take them out of your life for now. I know its not easy and scary...but keep reminding yourself that they are not helping you right now. Food is your medicine!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34770

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review