All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bananas and constipation- Rachel T or anyone
      #134769 - 01/03/05 06:41 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have tried to find this answer by doing a search, as I know people are probably tired of the banana question. But I could not find the answer to this particular question, though I know Rachel T mentioned something about it.

For IBS-C people, we can still eat bananas, right? But are we suppose to eat them when they are really ripe with brown all over the skin, or when they are yellow? I read that one is less constipating, but I cannot remember which.

I want to try these one more time and need the safest way for a C person to eat them. Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bananas and constipation- Rachel T or anyone new
      #134809 - 01/04/05 04:27 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

My nutritionist told me that bananas are constipating (part of the BRAT diet), but they are a great base as soluble fibre. I believe I read that they are less constipating the riper they are. I am a C'er and I use them every mornign in my fruit smoothie....along with pears, peaches, papaya, or other fruit so that I include insolubles.

Re: Bananas and constipation- Rachel T or anyone new
      #134871 - 01/04/05 08:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't like bannannas myself, just don't like the flavor. I find that oranges are really good for my C!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Sorry I missed this one Beth! new
      #134880 - 01/04/05 09:01 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I personally love bananas, but for some reason they seem to cause C with me no matter how ripe they are, but the theory is that, the riper the banana is, the less constipating they are. And supposedly when they get very ripe, they can cause D with some people.

I hope this answers your question and I also hope I didn't confuse you with my personal experience. Every one is different so they might work just fine for you.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Thanks Rachel! new
      #134887 - 01/04/05 09:26 AM
Augie

The boards move so quickly, so easy to miss something. That's why I jumped on the Living Room Board when I saw your response was recent! You must be an invisible user?

Yes, your response made sense! The browner the banana, the better for the C people to eat. I hope I can eat this without the C cuz I love them!

Too bad you had to give these up! Not even the really brown ones are doable? How about 1/2 a banana? But you have probably tried it all as you are much more "advanced" in figuring things out than I am! And you seem to know your own body!
Thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth

Michele new
      #134890 - 01/04/05 09:30 AM
Augie

You don't like bananas? Are you nuts They are so yummy. When you did try them did they cause you C?

As far as oranges, I would love to be able to eat these, as well as grapefruit, But I thought citric fruits were bad. Truly, I thought these were definate triggers because of the acidity and the fact that we cannot cook them. Do you eat these everyday with no bad symptoms? That would be awesome.

--------------------
~ Beth

Good idea! new
      #134891 - 01/04/05 09:32 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Augie new
      #134899 - 01/04/05 09:57 AM
michele

I haven't tried a bannanna in probably 15 years! I even HATE the SMELL of them! I don't think the citruis is necessarily a trigger, I think its the insoluble fiber in oranges that cause be a trigger. I think people who are prone to D would have a problem with them. I usually eat them 2-3 times a week. I'm not sure I would try to eat them everyday but a few times a week should be fine. The first time you eat one, be sure its not on an empty tummy. I would give it a try! I have many foods that I tolerate just fine as long as I don't eat them everyday! Strawberries and salads are a couple of other exapmles for foods I can eat but just not everyday!

--------------------

Come to think of it... new
      #134902 - 01/04/05 10:04 AM
RachelT

Back when I was "somewhat" regular, I was eating half a grapefruit everyday for breakfast. I loved it too. Maybe that's something I should start thinking about again. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Oranges and the diet new
      #134906 - 01/04/05 10:10 AM
Augie

Do you peel all that white fibrous stuff off and remove all the inner membrane of each individual sections? Or just peel the orange peel and eat away? I would be so excited if I could eat oranges.

My problem is I read one thing about the diet, but I fail to see if it applies to me. Like if Heather's book says citrus is difficult and should be avoided, I don't even try it because I don't want to risk making my already bad symptoms already worse.

I don't want to offend Heather, but how does the diet work when there are so many foods considered safe in her book (like bananas) but so many people cannot do them? Or SFS are suppose to be almost an absolute thing for IBS folks need to take, but so many cannot do them! So, what's the point of the diet when everyone is different? Some people need wheat bread to stay regular, but Heather says only french or sourdough are safe.

I really do not want to offend Heather,honestly. I know she is a Godsend to so many, and has dedicated her life to helping us IBS sufferers. But I am trying to understand this. Is the golden rule just to eat insoluble after soluble and the rest is trial and error?

Again, Heather is the best, but I am having a hard time understanding this all.

Thanks for listeng

--------------------
~ Beth

Heather's diet, I believe... new
      #134910 - 01/04/05 10:26 AM
RachelT

is just a "guideline" for people with IBS. You have to remember that everyone is different, and the diet isn't a "fix". Some people who follow the diet to a "T" have outstanding results and others don't have any. You need to figure out what works with your body, and what doesn't. Just because one person has luck with one thing doesn't mean that you're going to have the same luck. Same thing with things that other people can't have, maybe they'll work for others.

The important keys to success with C are mainly insolubles following a soluble base & plenty of water & excercise. The same holds true with these though... they're "guidelines" not a guarantee that it'll work.

You have to figure out for yourself what works. I know you've heard that a million times, and it's very discouraging, but that's unfortunately what it takes, for most of us.

It IS trial and error. The Mirilax might be a huge help to you in this department. It might be able to at least keep you going while you figure out what works. Then again... it is addictive or "habit forming". It's your call.

I'm not Heather, so I can't tell you if she is or isn't offended by your comments, but I'm sure you're not the only one who's had difficulty and has expressed it.

Good luck Beth!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Oranges and the diet new
      #134913 - 01/04/05 10:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Quote:

Is the golden rule just to eat insoluble after soluble and the rest is trial and error?

Yep! That's it exactly, Beth. And that is the "point" of the diet.

The thing is, insoluble fiber foods are NOT categorically "unsafe". You NEED insolubles in your diet, and you actually need to be eating as many of them as you can stand to eat without making yourself sicker. You just can't eat insolubles ALONE. You eat soluble fiber first, and it makes the insolubles "safe".

Beyond that, everyone is different and it is trial and error. There is NO way to get around that.

Re: Heather's diet, I believe... new
      #134917 - 01/04/05 10:48 AM
michele

Yep, unfortunately, everyone Is different and can tolerate different things! In a very generalized way, this is what I have learned from other posters on this boards-People with IBS D need more soluble fiber and less insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber is more likey to upset a D type person. People with C also need soluble fiber but must typically eat as much insoluble fiber as possible to keep things moving!

There is no exact rule that will work for everyone. The best thing to do is keep a food journal. That is how I discovered I can eat salads and strawberries is I only eat them every few days. I can eat raisin bran cereal (with rice "milk") just fine but than if I turn around and have a salad for lunch also, I'm in trouble! If I have a "safer" cereal like honeycomb for breakfast and I'm kinda stable, than a salad with bread would be just fine for lunch! It really does vary so much from person to person. It is really trial and error.

As for the orange question, I just peel and eat! Try having some white or sourdough toast for breakfast and than try the orange.

--------------------

Heather's diet new
      #134952 - 01/04/05 12:47 PM
Augie

I do truly believe in the principles, so I really, really, really hope she is not offended by my questions about it. I'm sorry. I'm just trying to understand it all and trying to understand the inconsistencies.

I guess I was under the impression that if I followed everything to the "T" as you put it, everything would work. Like one treatment plan for all IBSers. That indeed it was a "fix" for IBS.

I'll keep plugging along with this and thank you all for your support and for not judging me or my questioning why this isn't working.

So, I guess I'm not banned from the boards? Because I wouldn't make it without this wonderful website or all you guys!

--------------------
~ Beth

Oranges=bad new
      #135022 - 01/04/05 03:19 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oranges REALLY hurt my tummy so I avoid eating them at all. I sometimes sneak some orange juice after a very soluble heavy breakfast.

--------------------
S.

Re: Heather's diet new
      #135094 - 01/04/05 09:37 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

It really is different for everyone. I think what the IBS diet is, is a bunch of things in common that IBS's tend to be able to eat/not eat. Everyone may have differences, but there does tend to be a pattern. People with IBS-C tend to be able to eat more insoluble, which is good cause we NEED it! The thing is, you want to be careful with it, since it can cause an attack. The trick is slowely working up the amount and seeing what your body can tolerate. Don't just get stuck eating the same foods without trying out others. You need to find your limits.

As far as oranges, I can eat them fine I've never tried eating them everyday so I have no idea how that would work out, I'm way too lazy to peal them I eat bananas and I don't think they make me C, and my tummy tolerates them fine. Then again I'm not sure cause I haven't been able to disern which foods in general make me C.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 984 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review