All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is Peanut butter OK? If so, I'm surprised!
      #133897 - 12/30/04 07:57 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I see that someone here has recommended a peanut butter snack when traveling. Is peanut butter really OK? I LOVE peanut butter but cut it out when I had a flare-up of symptoms earlier this year. I assumed that peanut butter must be so full of fat (I think 1 teaspoon = 12 grams of fat) that it must be hard on the digestive track, especially for IBS-D people.

I was tempted yesterday and had a sourdough roll (lightly toasted) with peanut butter on top. It was lovely and I didn't seem to have a reaction.

Any official ruling on peanut butter? Or recommended brands?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Peanut butter OK? If so, I'm surprised! new
      #133898 - 12/30/04 08:02 PM

Unregistered

I think most people would tell you that peanut butter is a big no. I know I can't eat it and anything baked with it in it because it sends me straight into an attack. But I was in the kitchen this morning making toast for breakfast and rejoicing quietly to myself for the person that invented Soy Wonder imitation peanut butter. That stuff is amazing!! It does have the same fat ratio as normal peanut butter does so you wouldn't want to overdose on it, but for me, it's the peanut part of peanut butter that I just can't do. Something about that nut I guess because in baking and stuff I'll use pecans and walnuts and they don't bother me. The only other caution I'd say about Soy Wonder is don't jump into it right away, maybe just a little at a time because I think the first time I tried it it almost bothered my tummy a little (though it could have been something else) but also people are sensitive to soy at first.

Well good luck and I hope you can eat this!

Re: I can do Peanut Butter.. new
      #133908 - 12/30/04 09:37 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I love that stuff, I went through a long period of time, about a year that I could not touch it. But for some reason, I can eat it right now.

I love Jiffy Creamy.....I think that is one of the things that is helping me put on some fat, not that I need to gain weight at all, actually, it is just the opposite. Ugggghhh.

Re: I can do Peanut Butter.. new
      #133909 - 12/30/04 10:12 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

How about other nut butters that might be healthier in that they're higher in omega-3 fatty acids- like cashew butter f'rinstance, which tastes wonderful? It's so rich tasting that a few crackers full are satisfying.

Mmm, cashew butter new
      #133910 - 12/30/04 11:22 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't do peanut butter - something about them just really bothers my stomach - but LOVE my cashew butter! I still go pretty easy on it, maybe a teaspoon on some toast, drizzled with honey... YUM.

And I'm 99% sure that a "serving" of nut butter (for the fat calculation) is a tablespoon, not a teaspoon. (I'm too lazy to go down to the kitchen and check.) So that's good news if you want to try a teaspoon on your toast - take whatever the label says for fat grams and divide it by 3.

#133934 - 12/31/04 06:34 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I can't have peanut, almond or soynut butter AT ALL.

Be careful.

I eat it almost everyday new
      #133935 - 12/31/04 06:36 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I get the reduced fat skippy and make PB&J's for lunch (no marg) and so it is 8 grams of fat total and nice and filling. I also make thai peanut sauce a lot (low in fat version).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I have some every now and again... new
      #134003 - 12/31/04 10:41 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

In small amounts it is a good thing -- yummy, protein, healthy fats... and it has been safe for me. You can't have a lot of it -- and no other fat with it. I always buy the low fat, creamy version and just have it in small amounts.

#134005 - 12/31/04 10:56 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I live on the stuff!!! but I eat the natural type that you find in health food stores, its much better quality and much more nutritious with no trans fats etc...and no added junky oils...in my opinion its yummier too!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Cashew butter? The HFS? new
      #134073 - 12/31/04 10:09 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I want to try this, is it at the HFS? Do you know a place where I can order it online?

Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 969

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review