All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Could it be true?
      #133895 - 12/30/04 07:42 PM
fud4me

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: Texas

I have had IBS-D for over 15 years. In the past several years it has gotten worse and that is what promted me to start on Heathers IBS diet. I have been on it for about 9 months and was doing very well. I still had my ups and downs just like everyone else but was pleased with the outcome overall. This past Christmas eve I decided to enjoy eating for the holidays despite the cost. Now the puzzle...for some reason I have not had ONE bit of trouble since that night. I know, I know it has only been a week but I am very puzzled as to why I have not had any problmes at all since then. If I went off my diet I would have trouble for at least 2 days. Is there any chance that ones body can "run its course" on IBS? I am still taking Citracil every evening but that is it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could it be true? new
      #133900 - 12/30/04 08:02 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I am not an expert, just someone who has had IBS-A in various levels of severity for 30 years! I can have periods of 1-3 months with NO IBS symptoms, regardless of what I eat. But then on an evil day that lives in infamy, I feel those telltale abdominal pains, and by the next morning I have the runs again.

So my view is that IBS is unpredictable. Eating a "safe" diet is a good precautionary step, but it does not guarantee no symptoms. Conversely, when my IBS is inexplicably in remission, I can eat anything and have NO ill effect. Go figure.

My strategy? Even in the good times when IBS seems like an old nightmare from the past, I still maintain Heather's soluble fiber diet because it is healthy. If I do then get an IBS attack, it also narrows down the suspects, so to speak! So, I'd advise a little caution (don't start stuffing your face with grease and slime) but enjoy each day as it comes.

#133952 - 12/31/04 07:17 AM
fud4me

Thanks Anthem for the input and especially from someone who has had it longer than myself. I am still cautious of what I eat and have not touched red meat nor anything high in fat. Having said that however I have eaten cheese and dairy products (which contain fat I know) and have not had any trouble with them either. I still continue to drink soy milk--and might I add that 8th Continent Chocolate REGULAR is the absolute best out there. Not a lot of places carry it though. Well I thought a long "remission" might be too good to believe but I will enjoy it for now. Each day as it comes. Thanks

#134046 - 12/31/04 03:39 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Sometimes it's not what you eat, but how often you eat it. Like you could be fine having a meal like that once, but if you ate like that a few days in a row it could bring on an attack. That happens to me with things like oatmeal. I can have it and be ok, but if I try to have it a few days in a row, OUCH!

--------------------
IBS-C

#134223 - 01/01/05 04:13 PM
fud4me

I do agree. Sometimes I can have better days than others with some foods but most of the time I don't even risk it. So to be eating "forbidden" foods and not having any trouble is such a nice change. This must be what "normal" people feel like! It is just a little puzzling as to why my body decided that I could eat stuff that normally would keep me in the bathroom. Oh well I will enjoy the taste for now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1649 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review