All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Still no diagnosis, still sick and getting worse -- help! (long post)
      #133824 - 12/30/04 11:27 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi,
I've been posting to this forum occasionally for about a year and a half. I really appreciate the positive approach and the supportive environment here. I'm pretty frustrated at this point, and I could use some feedback.

For the past 18 months, I have had chronic D. Prior to that time, I was mildly C, with occasional bouts of D that would last a couple of weeks, then go away. Usually during these times I'd go on a version of Heather's diet - without knowing at the time that's what I was doing!

I should also mention that I am gluten intolerant, and sometimes I'd have a flare-up due to some hidden gluten that had crept into my diet. I have been thoroughly tested for celiac disease, and results have all been negative. I am very careful about gluten nonetheless.

In the summer of 2003 (I can remember the exact day!), I started having D everyday. Dietary changes made no difference. I discovered Heather's book at that time, and I started following it carefully. It made a lot of sense to me since I'd done a version of it during previous flares, and it worked. I couldn't then (and still can't) tolerate fiber supplements, but I added soluble fiber foods to my diet, and avoided all the triggers. Nothing helped.

I found out a few months after this attack started that I had b. hominis, a protozoa that's common and not considered to be a big problem. I was treated for it and apparently got rid of it. I felt better after taking the antibiotics--for a couple of weeks. Then I got sick again. I have had chronic D ever since--except for when I've been on antibiotics.

When this started, I would have an occasional "normal" day, but I have gotten much worse. I am now sick every single day. I have been on the diet for more than a year, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I had never been diagnosed definitively with IBS. My GI doc had me go through several tests over the past year, because he suspected Crohn's. I just got the final test results, and he has completely ruled out Crohn's. I am truly thankful for that! But the downside is that I remain undiagnosed. The GI doc says that at this point he can't give any diagnosis other than IBS, although even he feels my symptoms aren't completely IBS-like (because diet doesn't help, fiber supplements don't help, the length of this "flare-up" is unusual, I feel better when I'm on antibiotics, I feel better when I don't eat much, etc.).

My homeopathic MD has also had me tested for various things, and I'm still waiting on a few results for such things as food allergies, dysbiosis, parasites, pancreatic insufficiency, etc. He feels I could have bacterial overgrowth and possible candida problems.

I've been researching and considering the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, because it addresses the problem of bacterial overgrowth; however, it is in complete opposition to the IBS diet, so I'm still a little skeptical. I am also considering an anti-candida diet, but it also removes most of the common soluble fiber foods that I eat.

I'm interested to know from others:
- Have you been mostly C then suddenly changed to D?
- Have you had a D attack that has lasted more than a year?
- What has worked for you in getting the D under control--in addition to the IBS diet?
- Is it possible that I had mild IBS for years, and then it suddenly got worse?

And anything else that might be helpful. I'm really at my wits' end with this. I don't feel that medical doctors are very helpful when they can't find an exact diagnosis. I've tried to continue my life as usual, but it's really been draining. The quality of life is affected by the constant sick feeling and never knowing if I'm going to feel well enough to participate in planned activities.

Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate your time.

Judithg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still no diagnosis, still sick and getting worse -- help! (long post) new
      #133890 - 12/30/04 07:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Wow. I feel so bad for you! You've been through a terrible time and it doesn't seem you're anywhere near a diagnosis. Have you had everything else outruled? Colitis? Endomitriosis? even certain cancers can give IBS like symptoms. I would go back to your family Doc and ask for more tests. I agree with you when you say that your symptoms are not really IBS like.
For example, I know no one who has found Heather's diet to be at least helpful in a small way. If you followed the diet carefully as you did, you should be feeling better. Also, your inability to take fiber supplements is puzzling. For most IBS folks, they're a tremendous help - once you get on the right one. Sometimes it takes a few tries to see which one is the best.
I really don't have any advice to give you. It really sounds like the Doctors need to get their butts in gear and find out what's going on. I really hope you feel better soon and they get to the bottom of all this.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#133921 - 12/31/04 03:09 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hi,
I can definitely simpathize with you. I have had IBS-C for most of my adult life. About six months ago I started having IBS-D with nausea, increased pain and gas. I have done everything in the course of this syndrome and because it is normal for me to have some sort of difficulties did not go to an MD. I finally did go the other day and had another abd ultrasound to rule out gallstones. I am guessing it will be negative and once again I will be told that everything is normal. Have you ever wanted to be diagnosed with something just so you could fix it? So I have just purchased the hypnosis CDs and the books and have already started the diet. I do have to say that since switching from a low carb(not to lose weight) diet back to a more varied diet has helped. I cut out carbs to assist my husband who did want to lose some weight about six months ago. So I guess for me that might be a clue. I am sorry I don't really have an answer to any of this. I just wanted to let you know that someone else out there was going through the same thing.

Me too, please help-long post new
      #133928 - 12/31/04 05:53 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I too can only sympathize with you. As you might remember, I too am following a GF diet even though my results came back "inconclusive" meaning 1/2 the tests were positive for gulten intolerance, but the one most specific for celiac came back negative. So the doc said to follow a GF diet because I may have gluten intolerance but not celiac.

I too have not had any improvement with the IBS diet as of yet. In fact, my constipation is ten times worse, despite trying to get in insolubles at every meal. I am having a difficult time with the SFS I have tried, not giving me BM's but only bloating and gas. I am miserable. Totally stopped up despite zelnorm, magnesium, citrucel, triphala (herb for constipation). UGH.

I also have been tested for my gallbladder which is not functioning very well, they say. But my GI doc refuses to remove it because he says the side effect could be permanent D! Right now I could use the D. But what is he gonna do about the nonfunctioning GB? NOTHING!

I have also had a gastric emptying test done and that also showed delayed emptying. Again, the doc is doing nothing for that. So why did I pay to get the stupid tests done!

I am also considering the SCD diet. But as you said, it is so different from Heather's and that scares me. Plus, it is a very difficult diet to follow--I cannot find the dry curd cheese anywhere and would have to learn to make it. Plus making the yogurt takes like 24 hours or more. The machines are very expensive and making it in the oven is complicated. Plus the diet is very very restrictive. If you go on breakingtheviciouscycle.info it gives all the nonos and they are abundant.

I am staying with Heathers diet for now. Because I don't think I could do the SCD. I am stress, depressed, feeling hopeless, and scared. I just want to feel better. My doctor is no help, offers nothing in way of meds to help with this painful C. I wish he could have IBS for a while. Maybe he would empathize a little.

Well, I have vented enough. I am just as frustrated as you my dear. I wish someone on the board could offer us some guarentee that sticking with the IBS diet will eventually pay off. I could bare the pain now if I knew there would be relief in the end.

Does anyone have some advice for Judith and I? Were any of you at the point of wanting to quit, but stuck with it and it paid off eventually?

Anyone else had slow gastric emptying or slow GB tests and how have you found relief?

Thanks for listening to me vent.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Me too, please help-long post new
      #134650 - 01/03/05 11:23 AM
Judithg

Hi, again -- I just posted to you on another message about GF foods!

Thanks for your sympathy. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I did pretty well on the GF diet for a long time. I'd have occasional flare-ups, but they were managable. So this lengthy problem I'm having now has really gotten me down.

I am currently trying my own version of the SCD diet. I have found some folks out there who are not so hard line about the diet, and understand the need to modify it to meet individual needs. For me, the dairy products are problematic, so I decided not to use them (cheese, dry curd cottage cheese, yogurt). I am primarily eliminating all grains as well as sugar (other than a little raw honey and some fruit). I feel I can still get the soluble fiber that the IBS diet requires through foods like winter squash, applesauce, etc. I'm also taking probiotics in fairly large quantities as well as digestive enzymes (as there is some possibility that I have pancreatic insufficiency).

This is just an experiment, but I'll let you know how it goes.

It's certainly true that doctors are not very helpful unless they can pinpoint a specific disease such as colitis or Crohn's or celiac. I am going to an alternative doctor as well as a GI doc, so that I can get more than one perspective on the problem. The alternative doctor is more supportive of using diet to heal than medications, and that makes more sense to me.

We are a pair--hope we can both find some help soon! I am really tired of feeling crummy all the time!!

Judith

#134660 - 01/03/05 11:34 AM
Judithg

Hi, Kate--Boy, do I hear you when you say you'd like some kind of diagnosis so you could find a way to fix the problem. I get frustrated when every test comes back "normal" and yet it just can't be normal to suddenly start having diarrhea every single day for months and months on end. I've even had difficulty with the diagnosis of IBS (which has not been definitive in my case as yet), because my symptoms are not completely like IBS, and because the diet hasn't brought about long term changes.

I did realize recently while waiting for some test results to come back that I was actually hoping (for once) that everything would be normal. I was being tested for cancer in the small intestine as well as Crohn's disease. After reading about Crohn's, I knew I didn't want to have that to deal with; and, of course, I didn't want cancer. So I had kind of a turning point--okay, so doctors can't diagnose me. Does that mean I'm crazy or a hypochondriac? Or does it mean that medical science is just not advanced enough to understand our complex digestive system? I think it's the latter.

Anyway, those tests came back normal, and now I'm waiting on tests that have to do with bacterial infections, parasites, food allergies, etc. Those are all things that I can deal with. And if everything comes back negative again, I'm just going to have to keep experimenting on my own to see what works. We're all pretty unique, and what works for one may not work for someone else, right?

I really appreciate your sympathy, and I hope for both of us that we can figure out how to deal with the problem. Thanks for your post.

Judith

#134663 - 01/03/05 11:37 AM
Judithg

Thanks, Han. I think I'm running out of tests to do. I've had all kinds of blood tests, stool tests, and various scopes. It's all very puzzling to me.

I think I mentioned that following a version of the IBS diet had helped me in the past. I think I probably have IBS, but I don't think it is the IBS that is causing my current problems. If it were that, I think that sticking to the diet would have gotten me stabilized.

Anyway, I'm going to try experimenting with diet and probiotics, and see what happens with that. I'm also waiting on a final bunch of tests to see if that gives any clues.

Thanks for your support.

Judith

Judithg new
      #134693 - 01/03/05 12:32 PM
Augie

What the heck do you eat for B,L,D and snacks without grains? Give me some examples of a daily meal plan!

How do you eat your fruits and veggies without the soluble base of rice or bread?

How long have you been doing this and how are you feeling?

Are you doing any SFS?

Please keep in touch. You don't have an email posted, so I hope you check in on the boards soon!

--------------------
~ Beth

#134699 - 01/03/05 12:35 PM
Augie

Who does the food allergy testing?

--------------------
~ Beth

#134760 - 01/03/05 06:03 PM
Debbie57

Reged: 10/24/04

Lots of interesting info you have shared. I did want to share I had a slow functioning GB and my doc did want me to have it out. He did NOT tell me I'd have probs with D though! I've also had every test known to man re cancers, celiac, Crohn's, etc. I still mainly alternate between C&D although lean more toward D. I do feel better in some ways. I have struggled with chronic debilitating nausea that no doc has found a "cure" for or "diagnosis" for. Talk about good news, eh? Anyway, I feel lousy a LOT, but do have to say that I feel better on the IBS diet than not. I do avoid dairy as much as possible and that seems to be helpful. Any fats can set me off (especially with no GB). I sure don't have answers for you, but can sympathize a lot as I struggle daily with feeling lousy. Hang in there!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4078 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review