All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone had any success with BENTYL (dicyclomine hydrochloride)?
      #133813 - 12/30/04 10:14 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Has anyone had any success with the medication BENTYL (sometimes called Bentylol), which is dicyclomine hydrochloride - an antispasmodic.

I am IBS-D. I'm not usually big on drugs - in fact, I tend to avoid them as much as I can - but I'm getting kind of desperate (in that my symptoms are not letting up) so I'm thinking about trying it. If anyone has tried it or has any comments on it it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Laurel.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone had any success with BENTYL (dicyclomine hydrochloride)? new
      #133815 - 12/30/04 10:28 AM
quietwalker

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: West Texas

I was given Bentyl at first,6 Yrs.ago but didn't have much luck with it. I think it's mostly if you have a sick tummy. I had better luck with Librax. since its slows down the system
also helps with acid. But I have been on it about two years & think it not working as well. I see a new Gasg next week .
I'm going to ask him,what he thinks. I am a D. Hope this is some help.

#133852 - 12/30/04 02:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Laurel! I'm not around much these days because I'm doing so well, but I just happened to see your post and had to respond. I've been taking 2 Bentyl every day now for about a year and a half and it is an absolute godsend for me. It helped me get stable and stay stable -- as in NO DIARRHEA for the past 11 months and 20 days!!!!!

I highly recommend it. I can't think of any side effects or other negatives that I've experienced. And don't think of it as a drug. Think of it as a supplement that your body cannot produce for itself, like insulin for diabetics. I intend to keep taking it the rest of my life, cheerfully and willingly. It has made me normal again! (Well, you know what I mean!!)

Good luck, sweetie and if you're looking for me check the Vegas board, I'm there every day.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#134274 - 01/01/05 08:15 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

retrograde i heard bentyl does work for some people. i take hyscomine it does help me alot. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#134308 - 01/02/05 06:51 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I tried Bentyl years ago, but didn't help me at all and gave me horrible side effects. I hate antispasmodics in general but when I do need them, I take NuLev or Donnatol which is my favorite. But I have only tried that one at bedtime because I think it may cause more sleepiness than the Nulev. But as I said I only take these as a last resort because I hate the side effects. I am C so that may make a difference.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#134325 - 01/02/05 09:13 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi,

I have taken Bentyl but not very much so I don't know if you can go by me. I'll also tend to be an IBS-D sometimes A and tried it to help prevent the spasms that cause me to go so much. Not normally D but I just go alot! I haven't found it has helped me much but I don't take it regularly and maybe you need to like Laura Sue does. It has helped her remain stable.
sorry I'm not much help. I think it varies so much with each person, you have to try it for yourself.
Sandy

#134361 - 01/02/05 10:38 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I used it when I was first diagnosed with IBS and it did help for awhile but then stopped working for me. I now take Robinul-Forte which really seems to help. Like everyone says people are different so it may work for you. I am an A so I don't know if that helps you at all.

Good luck and I do hope it helps you.

Michelle

--------------------
Michelle

#134399 - 01/02/05 02:22 PM

Unregistered

I've been taking Bentyl since October 2003 and I think it has helped me quite a bit. I was prescribed to take it 4 times a day which I followed pretty strictly in the beginning, but now I'll just take if I'm worried about something I'll be eating or if my stomach starts hurting after I've eaten something before I might get an attack. I didn't want to take it all the time when I didn't need it because I didn't want it to stop being effective if that was possible.

As for side effects, the first week I was getting used to it I had kinda blurred vision on and off which made me sleepy, but nothing bad and I was going to school and all that at the same time so it's not bad to deal with.

Good luck!

#136460 - 01/09/05 06:35 AM
dpratt68

Reged: 01/09/05
Loc: MA

I am noticing that when I take Bentyl I get very dizzy light headed and sleepy. Will I eventually adjust or is this just how I am going to react?

#136490 - 01/09/05 10:20 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

You'll adjust. How long have you been taking it? What dosage and when during the day? I take two 20mg tablets, one in the morning and one at bedtime (when sleepiness is a GOOD thing!!).

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1792 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review