Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
eczema and IBS
      #133689 - 12/29/04 05:41 PM
Amourette

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: Petaluma, CA

Hi, I'm new here!
I was wondering, has anyone heard of a connection between eczema (or psoriasis)and IBS? All the people I know who have IBS also have eczema. I asked a massage therapist/bio student about it, and she says there is definitely a connection, because the colon is having a hard time getting rid of toxins through the gut, and so it has to go through the skin. This sounds weird to me. Any thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eczema and IBS new
      #133690 - 12/29/04 05:50 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I don't know the reason for it, but I've had excema for ages.. not as long as I've had stomach problems, but just about.
If you find out any more info, let us know!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I've got eczema new
      #133707 - 12/29/04 07:51 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have eczema. Isn't that interesting....

#133763 - 12/30/04 07:38 AM
Tanya34

Reged: 12/23/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have eczema too ... patches of it here and there. When I was really sick almost a year ago it was really bad.
Interesting ... didn't make a connection at all.

#134049 - 12/31/04 03:53 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I havae skin problems...I've never been formally diagnosed with ezcema but I think I have it. I have to use a certain body wash or else I get these awful itchy bumps that get worse the more I scratch(I even gave myself a scar for a little while from scratching so hard!!). I can't really go to a dermatologist for it though since I know how to keep myself from getting the rashes...so I'm not exactly going to let myself get one just so a doctor can see it

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: eczema and celiac disease new
      #134224 - 01/01/05 04:16 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey everyone, I'm sure this probably doesn't apply to any of you, but FYI, there is a distinctive connection between dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which is a condition similar to eczema, and celiac disease. Although I am not a celiac, I tried a GF diet for awhile when I was trying to figure out what was wrong and I have a cookbook called "The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread" by Bette Hagman which has an information section at the beginning. According to info in this section, all celiacs have DH. Just thought that was interesting...

--------------------
~Angela

#134355 - 01/02/05 10:28 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I don't know about a specific connection between IBS and eczema but what your massage therapist said about toxins being released through the skin is interesting. The skin is sometimes called "the third organ of excretion", the other two being the liver and the bowels, so any problems with them may cause skin conditions too. When going on a detox programme, having a breakout of spots is taken to be a good sign, ie the detox is working and it is usually advised to brush the skin gently every day with a dry bristle brush to speed up the elimination of toxins.

Josephine

#134402 - 01/02/05 02:55 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

i have exzema as well. my allergist tells me that its allergic reaction to certain foods.

#134656 - 01/03/05 11:29 AM
Lolly

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Kansas City, MO

I have eczema also. I'll have to log my flare ups and see if they conicide with my IBS. I am also allergic to balsam of peru. This is found in many foods-many of the foods that are not IBS friendly.

#134756 - 01/03/05 05:24 PM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

This is quite interesting indeed.
I have eczema also and it started up soon after the onset of my IBS.

Interestingly, when I was on the Zone Diet for a few months (years ago), eczema disappered (although IBS didn't). During that time, I was not eating any bread or wheat.

Eczema reappeared once I was off the Zone Diet. My acupuncturist told me that all my eczema was appearing on my gallbladder meridian.

I have no idea what it all means though...
Hmm....

T

#134799 - 01/04/05 12:10 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

I haven't either been formally diagnosed with eczema, but I have some sort of skin issue. Mostly in my scalp (which is lucky because nobody can see it). I have also heard that the skin can react when the colon isn't working properly. I have decided to do a liver & kidney flush as I have heard that this is supposed to be beneficial to ibs-people, people with other digestive issues, psoriasis, (and generally everybody...). Will let you know how it goes. Love, Mary

#134803 - 01/04/05 03:09 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Mary, when are you planning to do your liver/kidney flush? Also, have you tried colonic therapy? I was thinking about trying one or other of these when I found this website instead. The main thing that put me off was that it is usually recommended either to fast or to follow a fairly strict raw diet during/before treatment and I really couldn't face that at the time ... Do you see a naturopath or other therapist? I would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Josephine

#135541 - 01/05/05 11:14 PM
dnctla89

Reged: 12/24/04

This is sooo weird. I have had a rash for like 10 years and the one time I went to the doctor, he barely gave me the time of day, and prescribed a relaxant of some sort of all things. I threw them away. And now 10 or so years from then by total accident with all this IBS stuff...I found out I was allergic to dairy! Rash is all gone now. What a relief. Tho I still have IBS...or what I think is IBS. Wonder if somehow this isn't just all allergies or people rejecting foods of this day and age?! Kind of scary to me.
Carrie

#135552 - 01/06/05 01:56 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm not sure if there is a connection or not. I guess it's entirely possible but I don't and have never suffered from excema and I have really bad IBS symptoms pretty much all the time. I do get excessively dry skin though that no amount of cream seems to help.

--------------------
Amy

#135829 - 01/06/05 03:19 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I am officially intrigued now. My IBS problems really starting flaring up in September of 2004. Later that month a GI diagnosed me with IBS. Shortly thereafter I started noticing itchy bumps on my neck - they started off looking like zits and then turned into bumps that kind of looked like bug bites. I let it go for a few weeks until I was noticing that I was getting them EVERYWHERE. I now have them all over my chest, legs, arms, face, scalp....went to the doc and she said it's eczema. I have never had eczema before. I'm very sceptical of this diagnosis but after reading your post I am giving it second thoughts. I am going to see a dermatologist next week, as the corticosteriods that my PCP precribed are doing absolutely nothing. For those of you with eczema - what does it look like? Is it concentrated in small areas, or do you have it everywhere? I've also noticed that the unbearable itching is worse at night - is this true for you too?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#135933 - 01/07/05 12:07 AM
dnctla89

Reged: 12/24/04

I don't know about anyone else, but my rash could be under my boobs, around my waist (all the way), under my upper arm, and sometimes even on my inner thigh. They would start out as a few tiny bumps that itched....soon as I got them I would know it would be everywhere soon. And believe me, I have tried all the anti/itch stuff I could find....including a cortisone shot from the dr. And none of it worked.....except otc cortaid cream. There is even an oil/ointment of the same thing and it did not work! Don't ask my why but only the cream would get rid of it for a short time. It finally went away permanently when I eliminated dairy from my diet. If I go on a binge I know two things will happen....IBS-D and rash!

Carrie

#136189 - 01/07/05 04:14 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

This is way too weird.

Yesterday I went to the dermatologist for a rash outbreak on my hands. He never officially said eczema or dermatitis, however the papers he gave me had both on there. I am using 2 different steroid creams, and heavy duty moisturizers.....and it started around the same time I was diagnosed with IBS. The bad thing is I was told once it is under control, it can take up to 4 months for the skin to repair the protective barrier. It also doesn't help that I work in a kitchen, and have to wash my hands excessively...

I will have to bring this up when I go back in in a month....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3333

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review