All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Drinking smoothies safely
      #133451 - 12/28/04 07:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I need to start incorporating more insolubles into my diet and I know a lot of people have had success doing this by putting them into smoothies.

My question is, do I need to eat some soluble fiber like rice or bread before I drink the smoothie? Or is the Rice Milk I use considered the soluble fiber source?

If you put Acacia or benefiber in the drink that would take care of the sf so you wouldn't have to eat anything, right?

What if you don't use either of those two sfs?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking smoothies safely new
      #133470 - 12/28/04 10:13 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Beth, I do not eat sf before I have a smoothie. I always start with a frozen banana base and add whatever else, right now I am on a blue berry kick. Yummm.

I am mostly a C, so the only way I can tolerate fruit though is in a smoothie.

I bet this didn't help a bit, OH, I also use soy milk in the smoothie, you could use the rice milk if you want.

Drinking smoothies safely????? new
      #133495 - 12/29/04 07:06 AM
Augie

Thanks. I can't do bananas, which would be the soluble base. So, I'm still not sure how to drink this. Is it okay to do strawberry and blueberry in Rice milk without a soluble food or supplement before? Or is the rice milk the soluble base?

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (12/29/04 07:07 AM)

#133513 - 12/29/04 07:55 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Beth,

Because of all the insoluble fiber in the smoothie, I find that I need to eat something along with it to ensure there won't be any uncomfortableness after the smoothie. I usually have an english muffin or a piece of toast while I'm making the smoothie.

Also, go ahead and add those SFS to your smoothies! It's a great way to disguise the taste of the SFS if you don't paticularly enjoy it. Not sure if you wouldn't have to eat something before hand - I believe it's different for everyone. I think that I would still have something small before hand, just in case!

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#133517 - 12/29/04 08:04 AM
Augie

Thanks Jennifer,
But I don't take acacia or benefiber so can't add those to the drink. Would have suppose I could pop a few equalactin beforehand. It would be too much to add the citricel drink beforehand and then drink the smoothie on top of that!

I was just hoping I could just do the smoothie as a snack without having to eat additional food on top of it. That's why I was hoping the rice milk could be the SF base! oh well.

Thanks again for your advice. You've really been helping me a lot these past few days! Sorry you keep getting "stuck" with my questions! I wish I could reciprocate somehow, but just know I appreciate the help!

ps. have you tried the citricel clear mix yet? How's it going?

--------------------
~ Beth

#133519 - 12/29/04 08:10 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Beth! Don't even worry about asking too many questions - that's what we're here for.

Actually the equalation would probably work fine as an SFS beforehand. You would be putting some soluble fiber in your tummy first before drinking the smoothie. I like to think of the soluble fiber as "lining" my stomach with defenses against irritating insoluble fiber, which is why it's important to eat them first!

As for the clear mix, I haven't started it yet. I go out of town to a little cabin in the woods this weekend and I think it would be too difficult to keep track of it - especially with 10 other trouble making young adults in the same cabin as me! I really do need to start next week, though, because I gotta start getting regular! Thanks for checking up on me.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Drinking smoothies safely????? new
      #133600 - 12/29/04 12:24 PM
gigi

Beth, I am no expert. But it would seem logical that the rice milk could be a the soluble base. Are you using frozen berries? I do, makes the smoothie creamier, wish I could do the strawberries, the seeds dont like me.

hope this helps. If you are still unsure, it coldn't hurt to have some bread before the smoothie.

Havn't had one yet! new
      #133605 - 12/29/04 12:37 PM
Augie

So perhaps the seeds in the strawberries aren't such a good idea! I haven't had strawberries, because of the seeds, since starting this diet. Definately blueberries and I'll have to decide on some other fruit. I just thought the strawberries would be good insoluble for my chronic C!

--------------------
~ Beth

Please,Need smoothie recipes for C new
      #133620 - 12/29/04 01:06 PM
Augie

Are there better fruits to use in a smoothie if you are C vs D. For example, are bananas more appropriate for D?

What are good and safe fruits for Constipation?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth new
      #133711 - 12/29/04 08:50 PM
gigi

The strawberries may not effect you the same way. Do you think you could handle frozen cherries? They are yummy, but I can't use too much.

Darn, its too bad that you can't handle bananas, what do they do to you?

bananas new
      #133798 - 12/30/04 09:00 AM
Augie

I think they cause belching and Constipation for me, but I'm not sure. I may be blaming these symptoms on bananas because of things I've read (mind is powerful). I do think they do cause belching though, pretty sure on that one, I think! It's hard for me to pinpoint particular foods for symptoms like constipation because I'm always C these days!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: bananas new
      #133859 - 12/30/04 03:44 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Actually, considering the horrible symptoms that reside under the title of IBS, I think an occaasional belch is pretty mild, and I "look forward" to them as a way to relieve stomach gas. I also think bananas are wonderful, so I would gladly belch a bit for their enjoyment. Now if someone can prove they cause IBS-D, I will drop them faster than a hot pan picked up absentmindedly without an oven mitt.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review