All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need Zelnorm answers
      #132507 - 12/22/04 06:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Who on the board takes zelnorm? Do you find that it causes extra gas? How much do you have to take? Do you continue to take your SFS with the zelnorm? Finally, is it only for short term use. I believe I read that on the board in the past.
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Zelnorm answers new
      #132520 - 12/22/04 08:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have taken it but it gave me too much D. I think 1 pill every other day is average. I don't know about the gas but I believe it should alleviate bloat. You should still take the SFS for sure. Think of it as just extra soluble fiber that is not coming from food- like a food pill so to speak. And yes it is only approved for short term use as it was only tested short term. It could cause any and all sorts of problems long term as we have learned recently from vioxx and celebrex. You have to be careful.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#132612 - 12/23/04 08:54 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have taken Zelnorm in the past. The first dose or two can produce some prety nasty D, but that usually goes away after the first day or two. I was instructed to take 1 pill, twice a day on an EMPTY stomach, like 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner. I don't remember it causing any extra gas. Yes, continue to take you SFS. I think they say you can take it up to 3 months but it AWLWAYS stops working for me after about 2 weeks or so. It does seem to help a little with the pain and bloating. I take miralax everyday and when I get a really bad attack of C, pain and bloating, I'll switch from miralax to Zelnrom for 2 weeks than switch back.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#132620 - 12/23/04 09:41 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I used Zelnorm for about 3-4 months before it stopped working for me. It did alleviate the bloating and helped a bit with the constipation. However, my body became tolerant of it, and it no longer works for me. I have had quite a bit of improvement however on Heather's diet. Good Luck!

KimGun new
      #132634 - 12/23/04 10:26 AM
Augie

How much were you taking a day? Since it only worked a bit for the C, maybe you weren't taking enough? aybe if you gave your body a break from it for a while it would work again. But if the Diet is working, then why take it if you don't need it! I sure wish I didn't need it.

Finally, when you were taking it, did it give you extra gas?

Are you taking Acacia and finding that to help better than the Zelnorm?

Have I questioned you to death? Guess that was just one more question! Thanks so much for your input. You guys are the best!

--------------------
~ Beth

Michele new
      #132657 - 12/23/04 11:32 AM
Augie

Thanks for the input. I don't know if your pills were 3mg or 6mg but you may have hit on why this zelnorm isn't working for me. I am currently only taking 1/2 a pill in am and 1/2 pill in pm (total of 6mg a day). If you were taking a 6mg tablet twice a day, that's why it was problably working for you.

So, maybe increasing the zelnorm will help. Iv'e also decreased my SFS trying to reduce bloat and gas and that probably hasn't helped the C either.

Good to hear the zelnorm isn't the cause of my increasing gas problem, though! On the bright side, at least of Gas isn't trapped.

Do you take acacia Michele? Or are you a metamucel gal?

--------------------
~ Beth

Congratulations! new
      #132661 - 12/23/04 11:52 AM
Augie

I just popped over into the living room and read your news. I am so happy for you, sweetie. Or should I say Mommy!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks augie! new
      #132670 - 12/23/04 12:25 PM
michele

I'm pretty excited but nervous as well as I have a history of miscarriages.

I was taking the 6mg twice a day. I do take the Acacia currently and like it just fine! the first 2 weeks though I did have a lot of extra gas and bloating but that went away! I know you have probably heard this before but exercise and water, LOTS of water, are crucial for C. Since I hurt my foot a couple of months ago and haven't been able to exercise, I've had a lot more tummy problems! Have you also tried adding in a stool softner, like Peri-Colace?

--------------------

Boy your quick! new
      #132678 - 12/23/04 12:45 PM
Augie

Starting the progesterine right away will make the difference. You have so many people rooting for you Michele, there's no way it can fail! By I understand you must be pretty "shaky" about this at the same time being thrilled to death! I have a friend who incidently had a very difficult time getting pregnant, then went through exactly 2 miscarriages before finally carrying her first son to term. She now has 3 boys and never had another miscarriage.

Okay now for one final question, how much acacia do you take in a day. I have tried colace, but thought that may be causing gas and cramps too, so I stopped. Plus wasn't sure if I could take zelnorm, colace, and magnesium, and SFSat the same time. Overkill? Too many variables to cause gas and bloating? I'm just too new to all this. I don't know what to take and how much of each.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Boy your quick! new
      #132705 - 12/23/04 02:26 PM
michele

I have been using the progesterone since I ovulated!! I have been doing that for many months now and it's finally going to pay off!

I think its ok to take all those things together if you NEED them. The SFS can cause more gas and bloating when you start them. It took at least 2 weeks for my body to adjust to the acacia and I had already been taking fibercon! I take one regular ceral spoon full each morning of the acacia. That seem to be enough for me. If you are having gas/bloating issues, maybe try breaking it up into smaller doses over the day? Don't get me wrong, I still get gas and bloating sometimes but I really don't think I'm ever going to be rid of those things completey!

Thanks for all the well wishes about my pregnancy! Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm off to go home and than heading up north to visit family for the holidays. I won't be back on-line until next Wednesday! Merry Christmas!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review