All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Attacks triggered by antibiotics
      #13206 - 07/06/03 08:24 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi, this is my first time using this message board and I'm desperate. I have IBS and have been using the Eating for IBS diet for some time. Unfortunately, I've recently gotten sick and they have been treating me with antibiotics (Amoxicillin, PenVK, Zpak)for 11 days now. Tomorrow I have to go back to Dr. because I'm not feeling any better and they think it may be mono. My problem right now is that I am suffering with cramps and attacks of diarrhea, I believe associated with the meds. I have been taking 360 mg capsules of Multidophilus (2 caps 3xday) while on the meds, but the last few days have been killer on my colon and my body. Any suggestions on a good probiotic I can use. I haven't been able to locate the new Imodium Probiotic my doc recommended I start taking. I was just reading about KE-99 LACTO. Does anyone have experience with that one? I'm desperate and unfortunately know that it will take about 5 days for my colon to recover from these episodes. Thank you for the info!! I truly appreciate it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Attacks triggered by antibiotics new
      #13214 - 07/06/03 11:09 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi! Most antibiotics have a side effect of diarrhea. I have been on many different ones over the years and have found erythromycin and clindimycin to be the worst for me. It is not recommended to take imodium while dealing with the side effects because it is one way for the body to quickly clear out germs from the system. I do not know much about probiotics, but have found that adjusting to a bland diet that removes ALL triggers and eating before each dose helps. Even if you just have crackers before a pill it can help. Sometimes, you just have to ride it out, at least this is what I have found. Hope this helps!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#13216 - 07/06/03 02:24 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I feel for you! I am frequently on antibiotics for chronic sinus infections. I have found that eating a lot of Sourdough bread, bananas, plain white rice and applesauce helps. Make sure to eat bread when taking the antibiotic. I have also found that breaking the antibiotic in half and taking it in two doses rather than one helps too. (You can only do this if it's a tablet.) As far as a good probiotic, I take Crandophilus which has cranberry and probiotics and another one called Kyo-Dophilus. I get them both at the Vitamin Cottage. I hope this helps and remember you're not alone. Let me know how these suggestions work out.
Take care,
Leah

#13218 - 07/06/03 02:49 PM
Georgia

Leah, thanks so much for the encouraging words and helpful ideas. I haven't had an attack this bad is some time and I can't say that I miss them! I will get ahold of my health food store and find out if they have the two you suggested. I've been trying french bread ONLY today and it seems to have helped some. Thanks for your suggestions.

#13224 - 07/06/03 03:38 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Keep your spirits up! Things will be back to normal soon.
Leah

#13244 - 07/06/03 06:55 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I too just had the same problem and I was in horrible pain. I was just on one a couple of months before and it wasn't as bad, but I don't know maybe it gets worse each time. I too took a probiotic and it didn't seem to help, Im going to try a natural antibiotic next time, and there will be soon, i have some dental work that needs to be done and I have to I have MVPS, but i can function with that kind of pain, my hubby says maybe i had a bug, cus the pain was worse that IBS. who thought it could get worse than that. but, if you jUST RIDE it out you could get really badly sick cause it kills all the good bacteria. Someone told me about a nutribiotic that kills bacteria and not good ones jst bad. called GSE grapefruit seed extract. she got ride of an abcessed tooth with it and can be used for MANY different bacteria, staph, strep, etc etc etc.

--------------------
Gretchen

#13332 - 07/07/03 09:59 AM
Georgia

Thanks for the info. Riding it out is not an option I tend to take - I think it's the Aries in me! The Zpak has been the worst so far. I know what you mean about the MVP and the antibiotics for dental work - that usually ends that night for me and I can atleast prepare for it. I'll check on the GSE. I'm very much into natural and holistic remedies. Thanks again for taking the time to pass on the info. I really appreciate it!

a BIG SHOUT of Thanks to Leah!!! new
      #14435 - 07/19/03 08:10 PM
Georgia

Leah, thank you so much for your thoughts on breaking the antibiotic pill in half and taking two doses. I was recently re-diagnosed by my Dr. and not the nurse practioner and am being treated for H-Flu and Mono (yeah!). I'm on a steroid pack, which hasn't seemed to bother me and a new round of antibiotics, this time Tequin. I've been cutting them in half (as I did the last couple of days of the Zpak, as you suggested) and WOW!! what a difference. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You have helped me tremendously!! Georgia

#14439 - 07/20/03 08:34 AM
Robbie

Reged: 07/03/03

georgia, anti biotics will trigger diahorrea in people wether they have IBS or not because they kill the good bacteria in your gut and can sometimes create an imbalance.
go to the supermarket and get some soy yoghurt or pro-botic tablets.

#14445 - 07/20/03 10:12 AM
Georgia

Thanks Robbie, I take Acidophilus daily and increase it when I'm on antibiotics, some which cause me a problem and some which don't. Speaking of probiotics, I listed a post earlier today inquiring if anyone was aware of Restore. Do you know anything about it? Thanks

#14454 - 07/20/03 02:18 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Isn't Probiotic Restore an Advocare product? Do you know if it works?

I am going to second everybody's comments about yogurt or lactobacillus tablets to restore the gut's natural critters. The antibiotics kill the germ they are designed to destroy AND all the beneficial bacteria in our bodies as well. Lactobacillus (by yogurt or tablet) is a great restorative.

#14456 - 07/20/03 02:39 PM
Georgia

I take the Acidophilus daily and double it when on the antibiotics. I saw my GI the other day and told him with all the meds I'd been on lately, esp Zpak was killing me, he suggested the Restore. He said if the acidophilus isn't working that might be the next step. I don't like yogurt, so getting the acidophilus in capsule form is great. Thanks.

Re: I can relate! new
      #14479 - 07/20/03 11:58 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Antibiotics really upset me and I avoid them at all costs. Sometimes you just have to take them and when that happens I take acidophilus/bifidus capsules (non dairy kind) to try and reduce the damage the antibiotics will do.

It seems to help me,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: I can relate! new
      #14537 - 07/21/03 02:39 PM
Georgia

Thanks Kerrie, that's what I do and it usually works well for me. I don't know if it was so much and so many different kinds that it just gave up on me. Yesterday and today I've noticed some gas and constipation and wonder if it's from the steroid for the mono that I'm taking. I can't win - but overall I'm finally feeling better and feel like I'm kicking this thing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review