All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
RE:big question,important...........
      #131557 - 12/18/04 06:03 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this-are dried herbs like dried parsley or basil ok?I've been eating them in a lot of my IBS safe foods for flavor-I need to know if they're a hidden problem.I'm eating mushrooms and pasta right now with a good amount of dried parsley-is this gonna be a bad night for me?I know FRESH herbs are a no no,that's just common sense.
Andrew L.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: RE:big question,important........... new
      #131585 - 12/19/04 01:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Why are fresh herbs a no-no? I use them all the time... oh, because of the insoluble fiber, you mean? Yeah, I can see that, I think, but as long as they're cooked, they should be fine.

And dried herbs are fine. If you consider fresh herbs to be insoluble, dried would be also, but on a good base of pasta, they should definitely be fine.

#131587 - 12/19/04 01:45 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

If pureeing vegetables lessens the impact of IF... maybe you could try grinding dried herbs with a mortar and pestle to reduce the impact of them. I don't think I'd notice herbs amongst pasta though.

--------------------
*Emma*

herbs are fine... new
      #131591 - 12/19/04 03:19 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

you don't use a ton of them, and they are normally mixed with other things, so they are fine.. I make sure that if they are fresh they are chopped fine, and same with dried, but you get more flavor out of them that way!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#131605 - 12/19/04 06:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think you would have to use A LOT of herbs to cause problems and normally 1-2T is all the herbs you put in something. Fresh or dried herbs with your MEAL are fine. Think of them like an insoluble vegetable.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6035 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review