All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Birth Control Pills and IBS Symptoms?
      #131349 - 12/17/04 11:20 AM
geri

Reged: 12/14/04

Has anyone experienced increased IBS-D and gas when using birth control pills? I have been on them for a few months and think they have made my symptoms worse. geri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth Control Pills and IBS Symptoms? new
      #131386 - 12/17/04 02:02 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

i've read that they may cause intestinal distress which is unforuntely why i choose not to use them.

#131392 - 12/17/04 03:04 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi and welcome. This topic has come up a ton, so if you do a search with no time limits, you'll probably find all the info you are looking for. Good luck,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#131405 - 12/17/04 04:31 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

I was wondering the same thing, since my IBS has been relatively predictable for years and suddenly flared in the last 2 months. I am starting my 4th month on the pill. I am going to do that search also, when I get a minute. Or please share if you find anything. I know for sure the pills make me nauseated especially when I start a new pack.

Re: Birth Control Pills and IBS Symptoms?-OH YES!!!!!! new
      #131432 - 12/17/04 07:40 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Geri. I was starting to think I was the only person who got this! I've attempted to take the pill about 6 times and found that every time I do I get a week into the packet and wham. Big D and terrible tummy cramps. Apparantly some people are intolerant to the progesterone hormone (found even in the mini pill and all other forms of female contraception like depo-provera and the rod) and it makes them sicker.

--------------------
Amy

#131475 - 12/18/04 08:08 AM

Unregistered

if anything, since being on yasmine my ibs has subsided. maybe it's due to the fact that my body and chemicals are more back in order.??

#132025 - 12/21/04 12:25 AM
Chubs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: London, UK

Wow this is something I have never really thought about until now. My doctor suggested that I should stop taking the pill last month due to my D as it wasnt staying in my system long enough. Im wondering now if this was affecting my IBS. I have to admit I have not stuck to the diet at all since last Thursday as there has been too much Christmas temptation, chocolate, beefburgers, milkshakes, fried food, cake and wine wine wine!!! (Terrible for the waistline I know)But the thing is I have had no symptoms at all, no bloating, no D!!! In fact I can say I havent had a bad IBS day for nearly 2 weeks now.

Wonder if this is just a coincidence or wether my pill had some kind of influence??????

#132045 - 12/21/04 05:59 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I did notice that I would get bloated and have D the day I got my period but ever since I cut out dairy, I haven't had any ibs/period problems. I really think it was just the dairy that gave me the d, it always did on regular days, it just made it worse during my period. I really don't think it was the pill. My obgyn said that you will fell better (ibs) when you are on the pill and when you get your period and you are off the pills, your ibs will then act up.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#132526 - 12/22/04 10:02 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

A lot of BC pills actually have lactose in them, check the non-medicinal ingredients on yours. If you're strictly no dairy that could be contributing to it.

Also, some girls with endometriosis will find that those symptoms get worse with the pill becuase estrogen can feed endo, and endo symptoms can mimic IBS, so that's something to think about too...especially if you're symptoms change with your cycle

Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review