All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have IBS, Husband doesn't.......
      #131104 - 12/16/04 02:43 PM
preggytummy

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I really want to change my diet, after reading the other post about the IBS diet. But what do I do about my husband? I do the majority of cooking so I can probably get away w/substituting some of his favorite meals w/IBS friendly foods, but he loves his meat! Has anyone here had experience w/a spouse who is IBS free and how to compromise on what to eat? Thanks!

--------------------
~Jenny~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have IBS, Husband doesn't....... new
      #131111 - 12/16/04 02:52 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I have the same problem! DH looks at my food and goes "blech" while eating endless steaks and meat products. I haven't got a solution. We've been cooking separate meals (well I've been cooking one for him and one for me). Not much help but I can certainly sympathise!

--------------------
Amy

#131125 - 12/16/04 03:20 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I don't know if he would be open to it but how about buying fake meat products? My boyfriend eats my vegetarian stuff all the time and likes it Try some Morningstar Farms or Quorn.

--------------------
IBS-C

Yup... new
      #131127 - 12/16/04 03:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I live with my boyfriend - I have IBS, he doesn't. (Well, he has some IBS symptoms, actually, but he refuses to change his diet.) I'm lucky, though, in that he eats whatever I put in front of him, so for the most part, I can feed him IBS-safe food and he doesn't complain. Of course, it helps that I'm not just feeding him plain baked chicken breasts and potatoes... there have been some *terrific* recipes posted in the Recipe Exchange, and I make good use of those. Compromise isn't so painful when the food that's good for me is tempting enough to make him want to eat it.

We do still have some nights where he wants red meat, or weeks where chicken is so darn expensive that I feed him dark meat because it's cheaper & he eats a lot... those nights, I make 2 entrees and we share the side dishes. It works.

#131128 - 12/16/04 03:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I know what you mean. Luckily my hub isn't too meat and potatoes, but I don't want to make his diet change too much since that wouldn't be fair. Some things I do are grill a steak for him and a portobello for me, make him hamburgers and me boca burgers, sometimes I will saute chicken breast and lean lamb chunks together and then pick out the lamb. I make him naughty meals when I feel sick and just want rice. Mostly though I have just tried to make all the safe food appetizing and he has really liked it- and lost weight. Just think about ways that aren't too tough of giving him something forbidden while you at the same time make something safe. Roast chicken/turkey is fine since you can eat the breast and he can have dark meat and fish is fine too. We have been surprised how good ground turkey is (although expensive) and turkey sausage is yummy in spaghetti and there is no reason why he can't sprinkle cheese on stuff before he eats it. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#131235 - 12/17/04 03:21 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

our solution for years has been that he eats what I do most of the time, but if we're going to grill I get fish or chicken breast and he gets steak/burger.. and there are a lot of occasons where he cooks his own dinner anyway (last night) and he can have hot dogs or whatever he wants... and at his moms he does his favorites I won't allow like lasagna.. though I did make that once this year for him- made it for the homeless shelter on my night to cook, and made an extra one entirely for him (he shared with his buddies another night, but we froze it in pieces so it lasted awhile!)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#131291 - 12/17/04 07:53 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I don't cook for my BF, just for me. If he likes what I'm having, I cook more of it, and he takes some. If he doesn't like what I'm having, he cooks for himself.

We eat mainly chinese and japanese food, cos that's what we like. So if we order in, there's enough on the menu to satisfy both our tastes. But if he wants pastrami, he keeps it in the fridge and knows I'm not going to touch it!

Good luck, this is probaby one of the most common arguments couples can have!!

~nelly~

#131339 - 12/17/04 10:29 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi there -

I would suggest buying meats in bulk (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) that he likes and wrap them in individual portions and freeze them. Then you could thaw them out in the fridge the night before.

When it comes time for dinner, make a yummy 'IBS approved' meal and while it is cooking, cook his meat for him. That way you don't have to cook 2 separate meals, you both get a healthful dinner, and he gets his meat!

You might be suprised though - after he tastes your yummy IBS recipes for a while, he might forget about the meat! I highly recommend the recipes on this site and in Heather's book.

My DH is a southern boy and was raised on the typical southern fare. When I was first diagnosed with IBS, I made us 2 separate meals. I didn't think it was fair to expect him to eat my special foods. After he tried my IBS recipes a few times - he told me to quit bothering with 2 separate meals - he liked mine just as well!

Sure, he still eats burgers, shakes, ice cream, chips, and other "bad" things - but he has them as occaisional treats now. He says they taste too heavy. He liked my IBS Thanksgiving dinner I made for us - he said it was delicious!

So if my southern boy can eat IBS food and love it - who knows, maybe your husband will too!

Good luck!

Re: I have IBS, Husband doesn't.......Hey Tex! new
      #131345 - 12/17/04 10:52 AM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

This is pretty much a non issue with me. We only eat beef once a week (I allow myself a small portion so don't slap me!). Prior to this, we have both been watching our waists. He will eat Lean Cuisine and be perfectly happy - I purchase the ones that he likes specially because I cannot have them. We also like to grill fish and chicken - he has to be the king of the Barbeque!

PS - I moved from Maryland to Texas in May - My husband is originally from Houston!

#131350 - 12/17/04 11:25 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My husband eats his red meat during his lunch time or when we go out to eat. Otherwise, he's happy eating what I eat. He's discovered that he loves humus, and he also has raved over some of the delicious meals I've made from Heather's book or from the recipe exchange.

I generally don't make bland foods. We've found that we both enjoy spicy & "gourmet" flavors.

#131353 - 12/17/04 11:45 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi.
I too have a hubby who thrives on red meat. I'm sure he wishes he'd get it more often, but it's really only when whe eat out or cook on the grill that he gets it. I do cook lots of chickent of all types and styles (except fried - neither of us like greasy food) and I use alot of ground turkey to substitute for ground beef and turkey bacon on sandwiches and for Sunday morning breakfast. I also buy chicken sausage from trader Joe's - very tastey! When we cook on the grill, I will have salmon or a portobello mushroom while hubby has his steak. Almost every time we go out he's ordering ribs or pork chops or steak or some sort! Mostly, he knows that the way we eat keeps me healthy and that is most important to him. When he does on occasion get tired of the healthy food or just not like something I make, he quietly goes into the kitchen and puts his plate in the sink and returns a few minutes later with a frozen burrito or canned ravioli that he's nooked in the microwave. I keep easy things like that around for nights that I'm working later or just feel to sick to cook real meals. He only reaches for those about once every other month or so though, so I think we're doing pretty well. Just see where you can compromise and I'm sure you will both appreciate the benefits of you being well.
Good luck!
Min

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1728 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review