All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Andrew? new
      #131228 - 12/17/04 12:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Most of us have found that getting and maintaining a sense of humor about the whole thing is our best - and sometimes only - defense against complete insanity in the face of a potentially devastating illness. Hopefully you'll get to that point too. I know Tina well, and I know she meant no harm or offense whatsoever, even if that's how you're choosing to take it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Casey! new
      #131255 - 12/17/04 06:01 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I figured I would just stop there and not respond to him anymore as it was being taken the wrong way.

Thanks for coming my my defense.

Re: Dana! You look so pretty in your wedding gown! new
      #131259 - 12/17/04 06:04 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Sheri,
Oh, thank you, you are so sweet! It went great, it was absolutly perfect, even the weather as perfect! I could ask for a more! Thanks for asking.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#131277 - 12/17/04 06:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I wasn't sure if it was my place to get involved or not, but I agree with everything Casey has said. Tina is a sweet, caring, and helpful person. She never hesitates to offer advice when she can. And as Casey mentioned, many times a little (more like a lot) of humor is needed when dealing with any chronic painful condition. Tina was only trying to bring a little smile to the situation.

Andrew, I hope you will continue to use the boards for support and for helpful information. But I hope you can be a little more understanding and a little more sensitive in what you say to others. If it were me that received that last message, I would have probably have been in tears.

We are all here to help one another.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks Beth new
      #131293 - 12/17/04 07:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Beth,

That was very sweet of you to come to my defence as well.

To be honest, I was very taken aback by Andrew's response. I'm glad you guys could tell I was just trying to lighten things up.

He reminds me of some people that I work with so that's enough for me to stay away from him. I wish him luck though. We all know first-hand how difficult dealing with IBS is.

#131314 - 12/17/04 09:16 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Andrew, I know its not my place but I'm from NY City so I will say my piece when I feel its necessary. You need to lighten up a bit pal. For the longest time when I didn't have a day without pain or D, my humor kept me going along with support from my friends and family.

Tina meant no harm by her comments. I know that for a fact because I have read many of her comments since I've been on the boards and she's always been supportive.

Hang in their buddy, things may get worse before they get better but they will get better. Happy Holidays.

--------------------

Thanks Tommy -nt- new
      #131326 - 12/17/04 09:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Life Without Coffee new
      #131337 - 12/17/04 10:26 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andrew:

Oh, how I loved coffee! But now its taste is but a very distant memory. The last cup I had (actually it was a very watered down quarter cup of coffee) was more than 20 years ago. I didn't even realize I had IBS then and I didn't know coffee was bad for IBS. I only knew that I suffered severe stomach cramps and got very sick every time I tried drinking coffee -- even decaffinated coffee.

I can't say life has always been easy without coffee. I'm required to attend lots of meetings in my job and I often have trouble staying awake if the meetings are boring! It would definite help if I could drink some coffee, but sadly I cannot.

I think perhaps the coffee issue is hitting you especially hard because it is bringing home the reality of what having IBS entails. Coping with IBS means many dietary and lifestyle changes and the denial of many things that others (non-IBS people) take for granted. Coffee is just one of those things.

I can only say that coffee, and other deprivations due to IBS, have never stopped me from accomplishing anything I've set my mind to. I have two university degrees and I have worked in demanding, professional fields for more than 20 years now.

Once the dust settles, you may come to realize that despite the many things you can't and won't be able to eat or drink because of your IBS, the IBS diet/lifestyle is much healthier than the average North American diet/lifestyle. For example, you can't eat things like junk food and ideally you should eat only organic food.

I believe in time you will find ways to work around the negatives of IBS and accomplish your goals, including your university studies. Of course, having IBS will necessitate you to be creative to find ways to do things without provoking IBS attacks.

Please don't give up on your studies! Eventually you will find a way to get through without coffee! For me, personally, I've found an excellent energy booster is working out at the gym. I have high energy for several days afterwards. I don't think coffee could even remotely compete with an exercise-induced, energy rush!

Please take care and keep us posted on how things go.

Belinda

Great stuff! new
      #131340 - 12/17/04 10:34 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Belinda,
A very well articulated message and one that I whole-heartedly agree with!! Good things for all of us to remember as we cope with IBS on top of incessantly busy and stressful lives.
Hope you have a nice holiday!
Min

Well said...very well said! new
      #131368 - 12/17/04 01:08 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1535 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review