All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: The End Of My Career Without Coffee?!?I'm desperate................. new
      #130855 - 12/15/04 06:30 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear sueAngel,
Thanks so much for the warm words of advice and no,I haven't given up.It's just so hard not to be mentally sharp like I used to be.That IS a great school,Oberlin in Great Britain-the chairman of my old chemistry department did his undergraduate work there.You should be proud of what you accomplished.I'm glad your professors and collegues were so supportive-in my academic experience,among science majors and premeds,I've usually been treated like the weak antelope in the herd.One professor actually told me I didn't deserve to go to Yale bc "why should they waste a spot for an old,sick failure that didn't make his career when he was young?Why should they offer you a spot-to reward your lack of responsibility to your own life when you were younger?" But I won't give up-thanks again.
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Andrew... a few options.. new
      #130901 - 12/16/04 03:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) do what my sister is doing and get the same degree (masters) over a longer time- fewer courses a semester and working has allowed her to focus on each course despite some health issues and even getting married and planning a HUGE wedding in the middle of it.

b) take a few weeks off of everything and find your bodies NATURAL sleep cycle- you'll be amazed at how much better you feel letting it get the rest it needs when it needs it... I know I need fewer hours of sleep if I go to bed early and get up early then if I try to stay up later (why I don't mind working the 5 AM shift) and am a much more productive person all day long. some people have other cycles- DH does better going to bed later and sleeping later... so he works normal hours that enable him to do that.. and we both get twice as much done in the day as we did when we forced ourselves to sleep at the same time!

also- look at what you are eating... is there enough protein and other nutrition in your diet to keep your body going? I've noticed that several people here have had to re-evaluate what they are ingesting once they've gotten stable because they aren't eating a balanced combination of foods and getting the nutrition they need.

Another thing- if you were that reliant on caffeine and other drugs to keep you awake, your body may take some time to recover from that and maybe 2 months just isn't enough time!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Andrew? new
      #130923 - 12/16/04 06:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

If that soy cheesecake comment was for me, I wasn't being rude to you! I was just trying to get you to have a laugh or lighten up!

I'm sorry if you thought I was being mean. I'm not like that at all.

#130925 - 12/16/04 06:32 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Dear Andrew,

Tell that professor to kiss off! I graduated at 26-ish, so I was a little older than the average student. I had to go straight to work...no grad school right away because of my son...but plan to go back when he is 18. I'll be 38, and if anyone dares to say that I made a "mistake" and am too old, well, the ACLU doesn't have anything on what I'll do to them!

The scientists that I know here are completely NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. One of my best friends is a neuroscientist (specializing in the workings of the inner ear and restoring hearing in those who go deaf, as opposed to being born deaf). She started school to become an audiologist/speech pathologist, simply because she never really new an honest to goodness scientist. While working at a hearing clinic, she discovered she was bored. So, she went back to school. She got tromped on a bit by men, who thought "girls can't be scientists," but let me tell you...she is whip-smart and at the forefront of her field. Another lady I know is an incredible biologist researching pregnancy and the "hows" of it in various mammals. No one would ever consider her week! A lot of these folks didn't take traditional routes through school...there were kids, or bills, or other delays. For someone to say that they shouldn't have gone to school because some younger kid deserved their spot is outrageous! The research they've done is amazing.

Face it, grad schools look at older students as a bonus. Meaning, you're not 21 and if you are going back to school you must be very serious and committed about the situation. Younger kids still have wild oats to sow, and have a higher drop out rate...whether it's money, or parties, or simply burn out, they don't last as long or seem as committed as older folks. That professor was absolutely full of him self. Yale would be LUCKY to have you...they wouldn't be wasting a place at all.

Science aside, you are not the weak link. Don't let the folks in that program make you feel like that. Tell them simply, in language you are comfortable with, what your ailment is, and why you perhaps need a more "unique" and flexible schedule. Get yourself stabilized, grab some ginseng tea, take up yoga (it helps, I swear), and (if you can afford it) see a therapist to talk about how these folks are making you feel. I saw a therapist the whole time I did my undergrad work, and she was the one who kept me going and believing in myself. You wouldn't have gotten this far if you are a weak link. Remember that.

Please let me know if you'd like to talk more! I'm happy to communicate with you!

sue

#130985 - 12/16/04 09:20 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I know, it was a little hard for me too, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I notice the gas I have when I drank caffeine and I am happier without it. Your body will go througha week of withdrawal (if you drink a lot of cups day) and then the worst of it will be over and you won't need it. Trust me, that is what happend to me and now I am enegeretic without it. You just need to add in some healthy foods and your enegry levels will be back up there.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Dana! You look so pretty in your wedding gown! new
      #130987 - 12/16/04 09:29 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

how did it go? You look so happy, so I am sure that it was wonderful!

--------------------
-Sheri

#131013 - 12/16/04 10:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Not sure if the others have mentioned these, but try

Siberian Ginseng
Rooibos tea
Lots of water

And NO caffeine. I've had trouble with this issue too as I have Fibromyalgia (therefore muchos tiredness!), but I've found the hard way that my doc is right and I am better without it. It can take a hell of a while for your body to adjust though, so stick at it.

Being diagnosed with IBS means alot of things and one of them is that you are likely to have to alter your lifestyle. You can still study and do fantastic research, but not without sleep for days!

Yoga can also help with mental clarity. I know what it's like...although I didn't do post-grad study I did do a physics course here which was pretty heavy going!

Re: Andrew? new
      #131065 - 12/16/04 01:02 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Sara;
You don't tell a professional athlete who was an All Star and MAY now be stuck in a wheelchair for life pending further tests that he shouldn't have been driving so fast anyway when the accident happened to "lighten him up."I don't think it takes a very insightful person to see that.Apology accepted-but jokes like that I can do without while watching my life go down the crapper along with the diaherra and blood,thank you.
Andrew L.

#131071 - 12/16/04 01:27 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Andy,
I saw your post earlier this week and have meant to get back to you - There are lots of us who do lots of things once we get this stuff under control - it's just a matter of getting to know your body and how you will deal with this disease. Your studies/career are not over - they're just beginning, let's keep that in perspective. I'm 28 yrs. old and I have Crohn's disease - no it's not IBS, it's full out eat through your intestines, almost never digest your food, swallow 23 pills a day - Crohn's disease. I was only diagnosed with this a few months ago and before had been working on an IBS diagnosis. That's how I came to the boards and the diet - it does help and I digest markedly more food when I'm keeping to the diet than I do when I'm not. I have had problems with IBS (that I now know was Crohn's) since my junior year in undergrad. It started when I was a double major at William and Mary studying government and East Asian Studies. To this point I have completed both degrees, learned to speak fluent Chinese and intermediate Thai, written an honors thesis that ranked highest honors and graduated Magne Cum Laude. I also have a master's degree in international affairs from George Washington and a certification in global public health. I'm currently working for a governmental Commission that makes policy recommendations regarding promotion of religious freedom in the countries of the world where religion is most severly persecuted. I still consider myself very much on the way up and this disease is not going to stop me. Like other people have said, certain teas help with alertness in abscence of coffee - coffee is BAD and you won't perform if you're running to the bathroom every 20 minutes, we all know that! You're support system is also important - it's important to have freinds telling you can do this and kicking you in the ass when you get down on yourself - it's just good for somebody to keep you moving in a positive way - I didn't mean that kicking you in the ass thing that they would be mean - that wouldn't help, just that they would be consistent, that does help. Once you're sleeping the right amount you will perform better. I would also whole-heartedly agree that once you get to grad school you age will be more of an asset - it's been provent that students that are just out of undergrad with no work experience don't get as much out of grad school as most older students who know what they're looking for and have some real world experience behind them before coming in. Anyone who has been in the field for longer times (10 years or more) will tell you and I am CERTAIN of this, once you are out of school for more than 5 years, your grades and where you went to school matter minimally. What you have done since graduation and in your career matters MUCH more in the long run. This is a long run process, don't rush to do it all today or you'll burn yourself out by the time you're 35. Look at your long term goals and take into consideration how many years you have to get there and talk to people who are already there, they will help you with the steps and it's also always good connections. So I'm done being career counselor for the day - I need to get back to work!! Get to know your body and listen to it, you will find ways to deal with your situation - you say your symptoms have already gotten much better from the diet - that in itself is encouraging that you can stabilize and maybe it's just a few more steps till you find ways to work in the details of making sure you have the time and energy for the work you need to do - you can do it and yes, there are people here to encourage you as you can see from the website. Good luck and good for you for trying as hard as you have thus far to make progress on this.

Mindy

Hmmm............ new
      #131088 - 12/16/04 02:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't tried yerba mate, and I can't remember for the life of me if anyone else has posted about it before. For that one, you might try doing a board search and see if anything pops up. I have some pretty good herb/plant books; I'll see if I can find anything about it that might send up a warning flag.

Just this morning I was reading my can of Teeccino and noticed that it said that it has potassium "for a natural lift" (or something to that effect). I had noticed that I felt like I had a little more zip after drinking it, but I thought it was just my imagination... apparently not. You might try Teeccino (it's a coffee substitute, I find it in my health-food store), or you might even just try getting some more potassium in your diet. Hey, you never know - it might actually help. Teeccino, by the way, is pretty darn tasty... the hazelnut is quite coffee-like.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1453 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review