All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating out: Italian style/first date
      #130186 - 12/13/04 11:53 AM

Unregistered

any recommendations? maybe chicken or plan pasta. this is going to be my first date with this guy thougha nd I don't want him to thin I have issues with food or anything. thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating out: Italian style/first date new
      #130189 - 12/13/04 12:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you can tolerate it, ask for a plain tomato sauce with pasta. Chicken is also a good idea, just make sure it's broiled or grilled and not deep fried or fried or coated in oil. We wary of the salads - ask for dressing on the side and eat only a very small portion of it. Fill up on white bread if possible (hopefully without oil or butter!)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#130200 - 12/13/04 12:37 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

have a great night!
I eat in Italians a lot and get grilled chicken or fish with pasta (no dairy please) I eat lots of bread. Tomato sauces work for me. My fave is seafood tomato sauce pasta.
Have fun

--------------------
S.

#130235 - 12/13/04 02:21 PM

Unregistered

thanks so much! great ideas!

#130239 - 12/13/04 02:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sometimes fish/seafood is okay but ask for no butter- that shouldn't sound too weird.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#130271 - 12/13/04 05:18 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

yeah I usually get any pasta with red sauce and either chicken or shrimp.. or else the same pasta with wine sauce.

--------------------

#130294 - 12/13/04 07:31 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I agree with all the other suggestions. Make sure to eat plenty of bread while you are waiting (but not so much that you can't finish your meal, guys hate that!). Skip the salad get something like shrimp cocktail (just not the most expensive item on the menu!) or soup such as minestrone or pasta e fagioli. I know that you would rather avoid the IBS topic all together, but if he asks you something ("Are you lactose intolerant?") you should have something planned to say. I usually just say something like "Oh I have a touchy tummy," and I change the topic right away. Once he hears that he'll understand (guys LOVE talking about pooping and farting with their friends, but not their dates) and he'll probably move on. If not, well then I guess you find out on the first date whether he can deal with your needs or not!
Have fun, go easy on the wine, and skip the cheesecake!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#130365 - 12/14/04 06:57 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

On about our second date, we went to a place that had a lot of no-nos on the menu. I had to be pretty specific and ask to have certain stuff not included with my meal...I was acting just as picky as Sally in the diner scene of "When Harry Met Sally." The man I was with (who is now my fiance-to-be) looked at me funny, so I just told him I had dietary restrictions. As we got to know each other better, I told him specifically what was wrong. Now, we pretty much joke about stuff like that and are comfortable talking about it. So, if you make it to a second or third date and the guy can tolerate you and your "quirks," I'd say its a good thing!

#130456 - 12/14/04 12:07 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

My favorite dish is chicken alfredo minus the alfredo, hehe. You can either ask them to leave the sauce off completely or have them put it on the side so it doesn't seem like your being strange. I order this all the time, and although I do occassionaly get strange looks from the waiter/waitress, usually they have no problem leaving the sauce off.

Meg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1810

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review