All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Augie new
      #130177 - 12/13/04 11:14 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm not very good about taking the fibercon, but when I do it's one tablet a day (which is probably not enough). Do you take a probiotic? I find that helps a bit. I did not know that Fiber One had artificial sweetner in it. So far it had not affected me, but I only mix about one or two talbespoons in with the rest of my cereal. I drink ALOT of herbal tea. Sometimes a brew it and put it in the freezer so I can have ice tea. Be careful with prunes. They may do more harm than good. I only use them when I a VERY desperate.
I'm at a loss as to what to tell you about your GF diet. perhaps you should try to ask Heather. I realy try to stay away from Rice products when I'm totaly backed up.
Maybe you can try a lazxative like colace. I think it's pretty gentle. Best of luck to you. Let me know what you find out. I'm always open to new ideas.
Chany

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Augie new
      #130203 - 12/13/04 12:50 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I use a natural sweetener called Stevia-plus in my tea every morning. If I eat more than usual during the day I will have two cups of tea with the Stevia-plus. Stevia-plus comes in a packet like Equal.

I don't do acacia or any of the other stuff listed on the boards other than watching what I eat of course. As long as I keep my stress level to a minimum, I do very well.

I hope this helps! You can find Stevia-Plus in the natural food section of most grocery stores.

Re: Kimm new
      #130210 - 12/13/04 01:01 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I started at 1 tsp twice a day and now I'm at 2 tbs twice a day....this seems to work well with me. It's the only thing I take for the C...although there have been times I've gotten extremely bad and used milk of magnesia but on a regular basis i stick to the acacia and it works well for me....

you will get some bloating and gas when you first start but your body should get used to it....if it doesn't go away then your dose may be too high so you should try taking a little less....

Re: Kimm new
      #130214 - 12/13/04 01:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So you take a total of 4 Tablespoons a day? Did I get that right? I guess everyone has different tolerance levels. Glad you have had GL with acacia. How long did it take you to get u to 4 Tablespoons?

I was really hoping to not have to take an SFS and manage the C with diet. I'm blaming the gas/bloating all on the citricel. But I don't think I'm going to be able to do just the diet.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Stevia Plus help IBS-C? new
      #130216 - 12/13/04 01:22 PM
Augie

I think stevia plus has FOS in it. I thought this product was suppose to be bad for our tummies. The stevia plus actually gives you good BM's? What's in it that does that? Did someone recommend this to you?

Has anyone else had success with this?

Thank you so much for this bit of advice. I'm leery of the FOS in it though, and the fact that it may be considered an "alternative" sugar.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Stevia Plus help IBS-C? new
      #130240 - 12/13/04 02:29 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Stevia itself is a completely natural and safe substance, the extract of stevia leaf.
FOS- Inulin is used with success by some, and not tolerated well by others.
Looks like this particular product is a much higher percentage of Inulin than Stevia. I've picked up a box myself and am trying it out right now, since I'm suspecting the fiber supplement I had been using to be the cause of my bloating woes.
But if you want to just use stevia you can get it at your local health, co-op, Vitamin Shoppe, or what-have-you.

Ptillen *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #130241 - 12/13/04 02:32 PM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

It makes me "GO".....it helps so much. I can tell when I have forgotten to take it! new
      #130249 - 12/13/04 02:59 PM
XXXXX

the Stevia without the "plus" does not help me "GO" at all new
      #130250 - 12/13/04 03:00 PM
XXXXX

Re: Ptillen new
      #130291 - 12/13/04 07:12 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

No, stevia is simply an extract from a plant that is naturally sweet and is used as a sweetener. Has no effect (presumably) on the GI system, but is recommended by many because it's a natural sugar alternative.
I'm giving Stevia- Plus (kind of a brand name for this particular combination of stevia and inulin, I think) a try; just started it today so it's too early to tell.
I've used just plain old stevia often in the past. Works well as a sweetener; you have to get used to a slightly different kind of sweet taste, but it's worth it to know you're not using sugar and not using a chemical sugar substitute.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review