All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Overweight fed up and in pain
      #129013 - 12/09/04 02:53 AM
Debs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: England

Hi, I'm new to this in the sense of actually talking to people who understand what I am going through. I have had IBS for just over eight years (chronic constipation)and until recently just got on with things. I have been trying to lose weight for over a year now without much luck I have been going to a class to get the support etc but as I say not much weight has come off. The diet I was doing was a very high fibre diet. As you can probably guess after doing almost eighteen months of this my body decided to turn on me and landed me in the hospital with an extremely painful tummy. Needless to say this was a major wakeup call for me and since then I have been trying to find out more about IBS.

If any one could help me by letting me know what to eat in ways of meals to help get my system calmed down it would be a great help. I have read the boards regarding weight loss and am still a little dubious has anyone got any first hand knowledge (much appreciated if you have).

Thanks to Heather for being a real life saver I have got your books 1st year of IBS and the cookbook and I am looking forward to clearing my cupboards out and restocking with everything that is truly good for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello. new
      #129015 - 12/09/04 03:47 AM
Chubs

Loc: London, UK

Hello Debs,

Sorry Im not going to be much help as Im new to this too. I think the main thing as for 'what to eat?' to get yourself on track is to plan all your meals round insoluble fibre. White bread, rice etc. Have you read the 'What to Eat when you cant eat anything' section on this site? That might be worth a look but Im sure you have read this before if you have Heathers books. Ive being following Heathers diet for a week now but still having problems, just need to give it time I hope . Im IBS-A but D is mainly my problem, at the minute I am scared to eat anything for fear of what will happen. I too think that my IBS may have been brought on by dieting, I followed the Slimming World diet for a year or so, not sure if that was the cause or not?? Who knows.

Hopefully some of the others 'in the know' will be able to help you with more advice.

Good luck in getting well.

Re: Overweight fed up and in pain new
      #129017 - 12/09/04 03:54 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!! I have lost 48 pounds on this diet and it has helped mt IBS a great deal!!! Glad you found us!! This is a wonderfull place with wonderfull people!! Feel free to ask anything or just vent!!!!!
Welcome!!!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#129061 - 12/09/04 06:10 AM
Debs

Thanks Heather7476, can you give me some ideas as to what you eat on a day to day basis just so that I know what I am doing is right or possibly wrong.

#129066 - 12/09/04 06:19 AM
Debs

Thanks for the welcome, it's so nice to know that I am not alone anymore. Most people who do not understand think you are after sympathy all the time when all you really want is to be listened to and understood.

Thanks again.

#129079 - 12/09/04 07:01 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Here are some links to my FAv recipies from the boards!!

I eat alot of chicken and turkey!!
Hope this helps!!!
Potato soup Chicken Meatloaf

--------------------
Heather7476

#129181 - 12/09/04 10:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Weocome!! I too, struggle with IBS C and weight! I did manage to loose almost 40 pounds a few years ago but sadley, I've gain much of it back. I manged to loose the wait while on this diet but I was also using an eliptical trainer almost everyday for exercise. I really think portion size and exercise are they key.

I typically have oatmeal or cold cereal with rice milk for breakfast.

Graham crackers, pretzels or applesause for snacks. Pita bread dipped into hummus is also really good and the hummus has lots of insoluble fiber in it that we C people tend to need more of! Remember, if you do the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet, its only for a couple of days! We C people need to be sure to incorporate as many insolubles as possible to keep things moving!

For dinner, we eat a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish. Pasta and potoates. I can have green beans and a few other veggies. When I'm stable, I can actually have a SMALL salad once in a while as long as I have it with lots of souble fiber first! Fruits are a good source of insoluble fiber.

It really helps to keep a food diary when first starting. It will help you pin point your triggers. Its all about the right combination of soluble and insolubles that work for you. I LOVE strawberries! I'm fine with them if I only have them once or twice a week and never two days in a row. If I have them more often, it really gets tummy upset! We all have special needs like that, the trick is finding out what works best! Stick with it, you will feel better! Do try to get as much exercise as possible! Not only for the weight loss, but it REALLY helps your tummy feel better also! If you don't have any exercise equipment at home, walking is great! I also belonged to Curves, its a workout place just for women!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#129403 - 12/10/04 01:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

Welcome Debs!

Click here to learn about breaking the cycle. As you're C, don't do this for more than a couple of days as you then need to incorporate IF to not get worse. Click here to learn about eating IF safely.

Re. losing weight on this diet - don't make brownies or Heather's breads very often!!! V. calorific and moreish. It's possible to do something like the WeightWatchers plan with this diet - you just might need to do quite a bit of exercise to eat interesting foods and snack regularly. But it is possible! This diet is v. low fat, so you'll probably find you lose some by just doing this!

Good luck.

#129406 - 12/10/04 01:49 AM
Debs

Thanks Michelle, I do have a stepper and an excersise ball at home, plus a yoga video, guess I had better get started.

Thanks again for the info.

Debs

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 875 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review