All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Fennel causes gas???? new
      #128755 - 12/08/04 01:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

One other person on the board reported that fennel gives her gas. Has anyone else found that to be true for them. I drink fennel everyday and am wondering if I shoud stop as I too have major gas??

I thought fennel was a safe thing for everyone. I'm confused on this one.

Feedback?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel, bloat, and other imponderables new
      #128924 - 12/08/04 04:26 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I sometimes think bloat has nothing to do with gas. At least that's how it seems to me. When I'm bloated all the fennel in the world doesn't seem to alleviate it.
Bloat seems to have more to do with irritation of the digestive system. Almost like stuff gets swelled up. And when it's irritated, there ain't NOTHING you can eat that isn't gonna inflate you. But I just don't think it's gas.
Do others of you have the same experience?
Anybody know about this, or am I nutty and just imagining it??

Re: Fennel causes gas???? new
      #129009 - 12/09/04 12:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fennel can make you fart as it sorts all the bloating out. But IMO, gas out is alot better than trapped gas or major bloaing, believe me!

Thanks Linz... new
      #129035 - 12/09/04 05:00 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

That makes sense, and I agree. Rather the gas leave than be trapped and cause pain. Trapped gas hurts like ##$#!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

To marymary new
      #129373 - 12/09/04 08:07 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi marymary, I've found that since stopping the SFS (I was taking acacia) my bloat has gone down tremendously, but my BMs are still good! So I was obviously reacting badly to the acacia. I actually had a flat tummy this morning too!! Isn't it soooo exciting when it happens! Exercise works wonders for me too, I walk my dogs for about 45 mins each morning and find a flat tummy and a healthy BM usually follows. Oh its so good to feel slightly normal again!! I love mornings, but I still find the evenings is when bloat returns and I get disappointed again. Sigh, I'm still optomistic tho that one day soon I'll be symptom free. I too am DETERMINED to beat this damn bloat!!!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

To ptillen new
      #129376 - 12/09/04 08:20 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

OMG yes, thats me exactly!! No wonder the fennel hasn't been working too well, my bloating is all bloat and no gas. I didn't realise the fennel worked by getting rid of gas..... very interesting. Well no wonder I've found the peppermint seems to work better.

I did read an article about gastrointestinal (?? I think thats it??) response to food, and Heathers info describes this as well. Certain food triggers bloating as soon as you eat, however in my case any and every food triggers my bloating. Portion sizes are reaaallly important for me. If I eat more then a cup or so of food in one sitting my basketball belly returns. And if I eat too much food over one day I will gradually bloat as well.

I've been experimenting this week by really lowering portion sizes and eating less. It seems to be really helping. I think my problem is I get bloated, which makes me miserable, which makes me eat and eat and eat Food is an automatic response to depression for me so if I can beat the overeating (not that I pig out or anything but for anyone with IBS, eating too much is a killer) I think I can beat the bloat - fingers crossed!!! I also need to address the problems with getting drepressed, but who of us out there don't get depressed when we cart around a basketball belly all day and nothing can help get rid of it!!

Its so good to have people here for you. I'm determined to get better soon and really hope everyone else benefits from this chatroom as much as I do

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: To taylahmai new
      #129397 - 12/10/04 12:38 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Good on ya! I love mornings too - it's like you're clean because the tummy is (relatively) calm. Unfortunately, I have a difficult time achieving regular BM. I've never taken a SFS and am not particularly inclined to because I think that a good diet and excercise (and some form of relaxation) should make it manageable.

Here's to a life free from ibs symptoms!!

Bloating new
      #129398 - 12/10/04 01:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Bloating is gas that can't get out!!! That's where the fennel can help alot, but you do need to make it strong and hot.

Try combining all the helpful stuff - peppermint caps, fennel, yoga, exercise, etc. It all helps, so you might as well keep it up even if one thing on it's own can't get rid of the problem.

Re: To ptillen new
      #129443 - 12/10/04 06:10 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes very very true! On the other IBS forum I used to go to, this subject was debated a lot. There was a jerk there that wouldn't ever let people think bloating was just trapped gas. I had to ask my GI doc about it and he said it is gas in there, but there is more to it than that. IBSers according to tests have no more gas than regular people but it is how our body deals with it that is the problem. It gets distributed badly and our intestines get all surly and irritable. My bloat lately hasn't been trapped gas as the main culprit since it is not relieved by passing gas. It has been crabby bowels that need to settle down. So as I have said before you can't treat bloat in and of itself; you have to treat the whole body. That is why huge quanitites of fennel cannot cure the bloat, yet fennel is helpful. But strictly following Heather's diet and avoiding stress will keep bowels as happy as possible.
As for small meals- that is my thing now! And I have high hopes that it has been overeating that has caused my flareup. Eating correctly and exercise and moving around all day are also imperative.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

To Taylahmai new
      #129640 - 12/10/04 03:31 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

"Basketball belly", yes, that's a darn fine way to describe it. Sometimes I feel like the subject of a really bad SciFi story- the Incredible Expanding Belly. And I'm like you in that the bloat increases over the course of the day, no matter how much/ how little/ what time/ what order/ with water/ without water/ SFS/ no SFS/ fennel/ peppermint/ no herbs. Aiee!
Quote:

I think my problem is I get bloated, which makes me miserable, which makes me eat and eat and eat

Yeah, I too sometimes feel like if I'm paying the penalty, I might as well enjoy committing the sin.
Part of the problem is that I've found it really difficult to nail down what "triggers" are for me. I was doing quite well with portion control, but then got quite sick and for several weeks I was happy to be able to choke down anything. Now I realize I have to get vigilant again about portion size, amount, etc, etc. (Gee, just in time for the holiday party season. )
I'm just coming out of one of those miserable phases when you blow up if you drink a glass of water, let alone eat anything. That's what makes me think it ain't just about gas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5286

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review